Getting desperate. Seems like nothing is working.

Options
Hey MFP community,

I think I need some help here. I've been wanting to lose weight for years now. Lately though, I've been really trying my hardest, but with absolutely no luck. I'm 5'3" about 190lbs. I have always made a good attempt to be healthy, but for the past 3 months or so I have been really trying my best. I track everything, I eat at a deficit, I eat healthy foods, I exercise about 4-5 times per week (fitness videos, walking, cycling, gym, etc.), I am on my feet 40hrs a week for work on top of everything else... and I have not lost a single pound. I do occasionally have cheat meals, but I am not one to go overboard on those. I research health and fitness, it seems as though I am doing everything right. But it's getting to the point where I'm starting to get really down on myself at my lack of progress.

Is there something else I can add to my regimen?
Is there something I'm missing?
Should I be worried about other health factors that could be contributing to my lack of weight loss?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Replies

• EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    If you're concerned that you may have a medical condition that's affecting your weight loss, then I'd suggest seeing a doctor. You're diary isn't open so I can't comment on that.

Odds are, though, in most cases when people aren't losing it's due to some combination of eating more than they think they are and/or burning less than they think they are.

Use a scale to weigh all your food, and log everything. If you're absolutely sure you're logging everything accurately, you could try reducing your intake by small increments until you see movement, but I'm not sure I'd suggest that without knowing what your daily goal currently is.
  • danielleamplified
    danielleamplified Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback! Right now, MFP has me at about 1600cal per day. Could that be too high?
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    That seems like a good goal for your height and weight.

Can you open your diary?
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback! Right now, MFP has me at about 1600cal per day. Could that be too high?

Unlikely given your age, weight, and activity level. My money's still on logging/weighing inconsistencies. I'll give an example. If I have one day where I cheat a bit, I can easily consume 2k calories over my maintenance. That knocks out a lot of daily deficits.
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    How do you track, are you weighing and measuring absolutely everything you eat and drink?

This is always a great read to start off with

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    If you are not losing, you are not at a caloric deficit. This means you are either underestimating how much you eat, overestimating your exercise/activity or a combination of both.

Do you log EVERYTHING? Even those cheat meals/days? Do you weigh your food and log accurately? Are your exercise calories accurate? (I am told MFP overestimates burns.)
  • danielleamplified
    Options
    Do you log EVERYTHING? Even those cheat meals/days? Do you weigh your food and log accurately? Are your exercise calories accurate? (I am told MFP overestimates burns.)

I try to log everything accurately. As for what some others have said, I do need to purchase a scale and start using that, though so far I have been measuring my portions as accurately as I can. As for exercise calories, I always underestimate.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    How do you track, are you weighing and measuring absolutely everything you eat and drink?

This is always a great read to start off with

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

great link.

read it thoroughly including all the links it links you to.
  • becky4m
    becky4m Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I'm going to say the same thing. You have to eating more than you think. If you don't have a food scale go get one. They are awesome and you can get one that is reasonably priced. Everything down to the gum you chew needs to be logged. Also if you are depending on MFP food data base make sure you are using the exact one you are cooking/eating.
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Without seeing your diary it is impossible to make any comments!!

You workout alot, after work outs are you staying above 1200 calories?

How much water, protein, fiber are you getting?

Post again if you open your diary.!!
  • BattleTaxi
    BattleTaxi Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Can't see diary.. could be a number of things.. might not be eating enough, might be eating too much, etc.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Can't see diary.. could be a number of things.. might not be eating enough, might be eating too much, etc.

Well if she legitimately hasn't lost weight for many months of trying it certainly isn't that she isn't eating enough. By definition if she is long term maintaining her weight then she is eating enough.
  • spatulathumbs
    spatulathumbs Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    If you make your diary visible, that might make it easier to figure out what's going on...

Likely as not, you are either underestimating your caloric intake or overestimating what you're burning via exercise.
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options

I try to log everything accurately. As for what some others have said, I do need to purchase a scale and start using that, though so far I have been measuring my portions as accurately as I can. As for exercise calories, I always underestimate.

Buy a scale and weigh and measure your foods accurately. Some things may surprise you once you start using a scale.
  • danielleamplified
    Options
    Thank you so much for the feedback, people!

I will buy a scale and and try to track more accurately. Possibly in the future I will open my diary and repost. :)
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options

If you're not weighing everything I am afraid you're not logging accurately. Go and buy some scales then weigh everything and find out how much you are really eating. Then you have a baseline to work from
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    The scale will definitely help but look over this thread as it might help with more accurate logging as well, your diary isn't open but usually inaccurate logging and not measuring are the issue.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide?hl=accurate+logging+step
  • BattleTaxi
    BattleTaxi Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for the feedback, people!

I will buy a scale and and try to track more accurately. Possibly in the future I will open my diary and repost. :)

Good luck! Just keep being honest with yourself when you record, it will help!
  • ILoveLemurs
    Options
    To echo what EvanKeel said, I'll just add that if you do find, after making sure you're keeping close track of calories & exercise, that you still aren't losing weight - it's possible that there's a hidden health condition impacting your efforts. It doesn't hurt to mention it (if you haven't already) the next time you see your primary care physician - at the very least, he may also have some tips or advice for you.