Working out...Where do you fit it in to your schedule?

Options
I have a pretty hectic life. Working, school, church, boyfriend, friends.
I want to start SCHEDULING work outs into my day because I know if I'm not intentional about working out I seriously won't do it.

I usually have to be at work by 10, but I'm soooooo NOT a morning person and I hate waking up earlier than I have too. I just might though because after work and school and whatever, all I want to do is go home and SLEEP. So early mornings might be my only option.

Where do you guys schedule in your workouts? Do you like working out in the AM or PM? Any tips or advice to get up, moving and to stay consistent?

Replies

• v70t5m
    v70t5m Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Prep everything the night before, set the alarm for 20-30 before you want to start working out, and get up when it goes off.

Your first couple days will throw you, but then you settle into a routine and wonder why you ever did it any other way. I prefer to keep the same schedule on the weekends as well.
  • MelanieMamaof5
    MelanieMamaof5 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    As a mom of 5 I just have to fit mine in wherever I can. Mornings are my favorite. Early morning, when i don't have a tiny baby, are the best because it is DONE and over with. Even if everything else in your day is hectic, or goes wrong, you accomplished SOMETHING anyway.

It may kill you the first few days but it is totally worth it. Once it's done you will love it.
  • jenabugg
    jenabugg Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I have to work out in the morning or it won't happen. I am also not a morning person, but working out is more important than my discomfort. I typically get up between 4:30 - 6:00 depending on my work schedule. I workout for an hour each morning, five days a week in my home. I generally work 10 to 12 hour days, so I'm beat by the time I get home. If I waited until then to workout, I would always find an excuse not to do it.
  • LizaDK914
    LizaDK914 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    My days are also hectic, amd I'm not a morning person either.

Sometimes I go at lunch time, which is what I plan on MWF, but that doesn't always work out. Sometimes I go at the end of the day - which is more frequently.

Sometimes I miss a day, which is going to happen.

But, for the most part, scheduling in the beginning helps. Until one day, you just feel WRONG not getting your workout in. I never would have believed that when I started, but it was.

It sounds like morning might be your best bet, but really it's about the commitment and finding a time that works!
  • HerkMeOff
    HerkMeOff Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it's 6am
    Sometimes it's 10am
    Sometimes it's Noon
    Sometimes it's 1am

You can get up by 8 and it a workout in, it's not that hard.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    If you want to exercise you will make the time. We only do the things we really want to do. And it you don't fit it in because you think ypu must put everything else before yourself, I feel sorry for you.
  • iPlatano
    iPlatano Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    If you want to exercise you will make the time. We only do the things we really want to do. And it you don't fit it in because you think ypu must put everything else before yourself, I feel sorry for you.

Tell 'em mom. Love this :flowerforyou:
  • OkamiLavande
    OkamiLavande Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I have a scheduled calendar for workouts and I do half in the mornings I have school and half when I get home. Other days I do them when it's convenient. Maybe for you, you should try half in the morning, half at night, and on lunch breaks/school breaks take a brief walk. It all counts.
  • ravenribbs
    ravenribbs Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I AM a morning person and get up at 4:20 AM to be at the gym at 5 AM opening. If I don't go shortly after getting up each day, it isn't going to happen. But I also have to get my son up and ready for school, get myself ready for work, make lunches, etc., all the morning stuff that so many of us (esp. with kids!) must tend to. I have about a 45 minute drive to work and must be there by 8 AM. So my entire schedule runs a couple hours earlier than yours. I spent a lot of years getting up with just enough time to get out the door to make it to work on time. Now that I'm very serious about losing weight and improving my health, I still have a brief argument with myself most mornings to get my butt up and out. I also do what v70t5m said: as much prep as I can do before bed. FWIW.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options

Right on!
  • Four_Leaf_Clover
    Four_Leaf_Clover Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I have 4 kids and a full-time job and all the stuff that comes with that - so I understand hectic. I am not really a morning person myself, but that is the only time where I don't have any other responsibilities and no one needs me. So I get up at 5 nearly every day, hit the gym for an hour, then come home as everyone else is getting up and go about my day.

I enjoy getting it out of the way - checking off the imaginary to do list - plus I know right off the bat how much extra room I have in my day in terms of calories.

I would love to work out in the evening - but I need to spend time with the family, make dinner, etc. There are so many things that can get in the way once the day begins.

Try the mornings - you may surprise yourself!
  • as124
    as124 Posts: 27
    Options
    Why don't you bring your boyfriend/a friend to the gym with you? Kills two birds with one stone. Plus they can hold you more accountable if you schedule a time to go with them.
  • Beckboo0912
    Beckboo0912 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Aren't we all busy? I recently had it dawn on me...that while I'm a planner I dont plan my gym time or my time in general if I have free time or whatever. It would fit where I put it. But someone (capt apollo) turned me onto using my google calendar and actualky write in my gym time and figure out what I'm doing there. It's the best to see a full week of gym times crossed off. So use the tools you have and make it stare you in the face...also it takes 21 days to form a habit, so soon getting up a bit earlier won't seem terrible.
  • spicegeek
    spicegeek Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I do not allow myself to do anything else ( aside from work ) until I gone to the gym - so if it means meeting friends an hour later - so be it
  • janer4jc
    janer4jc Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I love to work ou in the morning for two reasons. My coworkers can see it in my face if I worked out before work and if I don't it's easy to come up with excuses.
  • lmmathis86
    lmmathis86 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Well today I got up at 6.00am went to work till 5:40 came home went to gym from 6pm to 7.

Tomorrow wake at 6:30 gym by 8:00am go to work at 10am....or sleep in go to work at 10pm get off at 8 home by 8:45 gym at 9pm bed by 11:30.

if you want it you fit it in to get it! It can be hard but sometimes it has to be done! Trust me you will love working out!!!!
  • kuntry_navySD
    kuntry_navySD Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    5am weights, followed by cooking breakfast/lunch/dinner, school, work, sleep, repeat
  • jillian_fan2425
    jillian_fan2425 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I feel better when I get up and make sure I'm productive in the mornings. You might not like it initially, but it probably wouldn't be that hard to get used to it once you make it a habit. The key is making sure you go to bed early enough the night before.

I work out at home, so I get my fitness time in after I get home from work at night (weekends are my rest days). It's actually nice to disengage from the stress of the work day and rest my brain a little bit while I work out. I can also go ahead and get my nightly shower out of the way, and then I can eat dinner and just relax for the rest of the evening. It honestly doesn't take much time.
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I get up at 4 am for bootcamp classes four days a week and also go running (short, 2.5 mile runs) on my lunch breaks at work. If you really want to, you will find the time. An hour's workout is only 4% of your entire day.

I treat workouts like appointments that can't be missed. I prepare my gym bag the night before and set alarms so I make sure I'm up on time. It also helps that I really enjoy my bootcamp classes so it makes it a lot easier. Other than that it's simply a will to keep on it.
  • seismicmuffin
    seismicmuffin Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I strive to do it first thing in the morning. It's not that I'm not a morning person but I LOVE sleep. Whether I'm waking up at 4pm or 4am I don't like leaving my warm, soft bed lol. I set my alarm every night and get things ready the night before (set out my workout clothes, HRM, shoes etc and get the DVD ready). Even then, I press snooze regularly. If I don't do it then, I do it immediately after I get home from work around 5:30pm.