my new passion: RUNNING :)

gallen2O
gallen2O Posts: 15 Member
I've never had a hobby, never been crafty or creative, i've never had anything activity wise that i've just LOVED until now. I found what i am passionate about and that is running! I've ran off and on since 2009 but it was always on a treadmill. For the past two months, i would walk in my neighborhood and eventually walking got boring so i started running. Small steps...ie i would run the length of one street then walk then run the same street and do it that way. i recently have built myself up to running a mile straight without walk breaks OUTSIDE and im so proud of myself! The last time i ran a mile straight was in 2009 and it was on a treadmill! Now i go the park almost everyday and run my little heart out!

When i first started, i would make sure i reached distance goals. I make sure i do itleast 4miles when i go to the park...if i can do more than i usually do. At first, my main goal was just to burn calories, but now i have other goals in mind :)

i want to be able to run long distances without walking breaks. I also want to be on the cross country team at the school im going to in august. I've never done any sports IN MY LIFE, and i randomly decide that i want to do cross country when im in college...is that possible?

anyways, i just felt like sharing this because i am so proud of myself. Anyone have any advice on this? I am also prone to shin splints and that is the worst thing about all of this! whenever i try to ramp it up a little, i feel shin splints coming. i want to get my time up. right now im at 13min/mile. It was 11min/mile in 2009 when i used a treadmill.

Replies

• hermann341
    hermann341 Posts: 443 Member
    Awesome attitude!! Sports at the collegiate level can be a little intimidating, but if your school's runners are typical, they should be glad to have you as part of the team.

As for the shin splints, go to a store that specializes in running and have them analyze your stride and fit you for some shoes. You'd be surprised how much of a difference proper fitting shoes can make.
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Eric_DeCastro Posts: 767 Member
    good for you. running is a great addiction. I too am addicted to running. 6 months ago i could barely walk. yesterday I ran 9.3miles. and i feel great.
  • gallen2O
    Awesome attitude!! Sports at the collegiate level can be a little intimidating, but if your school's runners are typical, they should be glad to have you as part of the team.

As for the shin splints, go to a store that specializes in running and have them analyze your stride and fit you for some shoes. You'd be surprised how much of a difference proper fitting shoes can make.

thanks! right now im running in some new balance shoes. i just asked the lady at the store what shoes were good for running and these were a pair that were on the rack that she pointed to....i will do that. that will be costly so it might be a while before i get new ones but when i do i'll make sure to get fitted
  • gallen2O
    good for you. running is a great addiction. I too am addicted to running. 6 months ago i could barely walk. yesterday I ran 9.3miles. and i feel great.

i just LOVE it. i feel like my mind is at ease when i run...i forget about everything else going on in my life and running is my only focus. same for me, i wasn't this good when i first started and didnt know how much id love it either. but i love the challenge and i love pushing myself and seeing how far my body can go
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member

i just LOVE it. i feel like my mind is at ease when i run...i forget about everything else going on in my life and running is my only focus. same for me, i wasn't this good when i first started and didnt know how much id love it either. but i love the challenge and i love pushing myself and seeing how far my body can go

IF you haven't seen this post, please do yourself a favor and read it. The best running advice I have seen for a new runner:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1217573-so-you-want-to-start-running?
  • gallen2O

IF you haven't seen this post, please do yourself a favor and read it. The best running advice I have seen for a new runner:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1217573-so-you-want-to-start-running?

i actually have read it already but thanks anyway :)
  • heysarge13
    heysarge13 Posts: 403 Member
    I love your attitude, motivation, and goals.
    I've always had to run being in he army but always hated running for speed. A couple years ago I really started pushing my bodies fitness abilities amf before I knew it, I was running 5 miles. At that point I decided I would complete a half marathon. Then last year, a coworker of mine was training for a full marathon and approached me about helping her with strength training. So I agreed only if she helped me train for my half... long story short.l, before I knew it I was running up to 30 miles a week. And now I'm focused on obtaining my goal. And running is no longer punishment, it's a passion.
  • vmclach
    vmclach Posts: 670 Member
    Omg this is EXACTLY what I did. Never played sports, I walked onto the XC and track team in 2011 after a few years of "running" (attempting to run having no idea what I was doing).. It was the best decision I ever made.. Now I've Qualifed for the boston marathon & even met my future husband through running. Go for it.. How big is your future college? Email the cross country coach & tell him you want to join. If you can't be on the team this year tell him you'll help out or something. Just get involved! Best sport, ever.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    I'm too much of a klutz for most sports, so I stick with running. It's a sport where you truly get what you put into it. No team to hide behind, no bench to ride, and you either put up or shutup. You run 3mi out, and you run it back, you're not done til you cross the finish line. It's ego boosting now and then, but mostly humbling.

Oh, and the shinsplints, slow down and shorten your stride (manage your cadence better). There are no medals/awards in training.
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Yay!!!
  • gallen2O
    I love your attitude, motivation, and goals.
    I've always had to run being in he army but always hated running for speed. A couple years ago I really started pushing my bodies fitness abilities amf before I knew it, I was running 5 miles. At that point I decided I would complete a half marathon. Then last year, a coworker of mine was training for a full marathon and approached me about helping her with strength training. So I agreed only if she helped me train for my half... long story short.l, before I knew it I was running up to 30 miles a week. And now I'm focused on obtaining my goal. And running is no longer punishment, it's a passion.

thanks!! i think im on this same path....and i couldnt agree more, i prefer running for distance vs. speed

Omg this is EXACTLY what I did. Never played sports, I walked onto the XC and track team in 2011 after a few years of "running" (attempting to run having no idea what I was doing).. It was the best decision I ever made.. Now I've Qualifed for the boston marathon & even met my future husband through running. Go for it.. How big is your future college? Email the cross country coach & tell him you want to join. If you can't be on the team this year tell him you'll help out or something. Just get involved! Best sport, ever.

what is the XC? My future college is a technical college. lol it's deleware tech....im transferring from a small 4 year school to a 2 year school...yeah weird i know. but thanks! i plan on talking to the coach as soon as i start school. so there is hope that i can be on the team?? that is awesome! i hope to do something like that one day!
    I'm too much of a klutz for most sports, so I stick with running. It's a sport where you truly get what you put into it. No team to hide behind, no bench to ride, and you either put up or shutup. You run 3mi out, and you run it back, you're not done til you cross the finish line. It's ego boosting now and then, but mostly humbling.

Oh, and the shinsplints, slow down and shorten your stride (manage your cadence better). There are no medals/awards in training.

thank you :)
  • janer4jc
    janer4jc Posts: 238 Member
    Congratulations. It's wonderful when we find an activity that we truly love.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Congratulations and keep it up.
    i want to get my time up. right now im at 13min/mile. It was 11min/mile in 2009 when i used a treadmill.

The best way to get your time up at your current level is to work on your mileage. You are going to want to build up slowly the amount of miles you can run in a week. The more you are able to run each week, you naturally will begin to be able to run faster.
    I currently run about 42 miles per week outside and my last race I did a HM in 1:58:08 (9.01 minutes per mile avg pace).

Last year I started out on the treadmill. Was doing a couple of miles at 5.5-6 mph.
  • JazmineYoli
    JazmineYoli Posts: 547 Member
    Good for you finding something you like to do. Congrats
    I run to, but I don't love it. I hope to one day love it too.
  • gallen2O
    Congratulations and keep it up.
    i want to get my time up. right now im at 13min/mile. It was 11min/mile in 2009 when i used a treadmill.

The best way to get your time up at your current level is to work on your mileage. You are going to want to build up slowly the amount of miles you can run in a week. The more you are able to run each week, you naturally will begin to be able to run faster.
    I currently run about 42 miles per week outside and my last race I did a HM in 1:58:08 (9.01 minutes per mile avg pace).

Last year I started out on the treadmill. Was doing a couple of miles at 5.5-6 mph.

thanks! i usually run at a good pace that i feel is a pace that i can keep going for a long time. i have shin splints again so im taking, yet again, another break! But i shall do that. when i do run though, after the first mile i try to keep going, but after that i'll take breaks if i feel my legs hurt or if i feel like i need to stop...and then i go at it again. but thanks for great advice
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Good for you girl! I have always wanted to get into running. You have motivated me. Thank you :)
  • EllieBMackal
    EllieBMackal Posts: 116 Member
    i run usually on treadmill. i wanted to start outside but it seemed a bit...scary. now this is a nice motivation
  • hermann341
    hermann341 Posts: 443 Member
    XC = cross country
  • badbradley
    badbradley Posts: 38 Member
    Good for you !

Don't worry about miles to run just yet. The length of time you run is more important. Distance and speed will come along soon.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    thanks! i usually run at a good pace that i feel is a pace that i can keep going for a long time. i have shin splints again so im taking, yet again, another break! But i shall do that. when i do run though, after the first mile i try to keep going, but after that i'll take breaks if i feel my legs hurt or if i feel like i need to stop...and then i go at it again. but thanks for great advice

If you run a mile then feel like you need to stop, then maybe you need to do that mile a little slower. See if that helps.
    You may have to take the pace down a notch as you build up your miles. Focus on trying to build up your miles and run further consistently then trying to run them faster. Like I said, if you can run further, you will eventually run them faster.