Gaining Weight, Even With a Healthy Lifestyle?

Options
Albeit I exercise daily and eat a minimal amount of unhealthy food, I am still gaining weight. What is the cause of this?

Replies

• healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    You are not in a calorie deficit.
  • ABQsheila
    ABQsheila Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I don't know but the same thing is happening with me.
  • sklabbatz
    sklabbatz Posts: 5
    Options
    I wish I could tell you. I am having the same problem. Gained ten lbs in two months from...nothing? Recently I have found out though, that posts on here say if you eat too few calories you will not lose. Not sure if that is what causes gain for no reason though.
  • sklabbatz
    Options
    Ignore
  • sklabbatz
    Options

How can I eat 1200 calories a day and not be at a deficit? I mean, how many less calories can I eat and still live. I get tired in the middle of my workouts.
  • _KitKat_
    _KitKat_ Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options

How can I eat 1200 calories a day and not be at a deficit? I mean, how many less calories can I eat and still live. I get tired in the middle of my workouts.

You are either under estimating intake, over estimating burn (mfp does this) or both. It really is all math, a calorie is a unit of energy at the simplest level, not enough fuel the body uses reserves (fat/muscle), too much fuel the body stores the extras.

To know the true intake of food, most weigh everything they eat and measure drinks. Eyeballing can be off 30% that and ignoring little bites or drinks can wipe out a deficient in no time.

Also some can gain up to 10 lbs in just water weight, to gain 10 lbs you had to be over maintenance (not goal) by 35,000 for the 2 months (10*3,500) that is about 50 peanut buster parfaits..... Anyone guess what I am craving :love:
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Albeit I exercise daily and eat a minimal amount of unhealthy food, I am still gaining weight. What is the cause of this?
    You are eating more calories than you are burning.

The type of food you eat has nothing to do with weight loss, though it might have to do with how you feel. All that is required to lose weight is to eat at a calorie deficit. Many of us accomplish this by weighting all solid foods and measuring all liquids, logging everything we eat, logging our exercise calories and eating a portion back (or even all if we are absolutely certain of the amount of calories we burn with cardio). and staying within our calorie goals consistently enough to ensure that we don't kill our deficit. We don't do it perfectly, but we are aware of what eating too much on an ongoing basis does to us (makes us gain weight).
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

If you don't weigh your food it is so easy to unintentionally overestimate your calories in, and it's so easy to overestimate your calories burned. Those two together are enough to kill a deficit.

If you were truly at 1200 calories you would lose weight, unless you have some medical condition such stalling your weight loss.