Clothes as motivation

Options
My sister's wedding is coming up in September. I really hope that I can drop another dress size by then. (It's funny, I'm suddenly no longer interested in my actual weight, but rather the look of my body.)

So, anyway, I was wondering: Do I buy the dress now in the smaller size and work towards it? Or just take a picture of it and use that as motivation?

Replies

• leantool
    leantool Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Work towards it,who knows,you may be even smaller by wedding! :-D

Stay healthy, stay strong..:wink:
  • crispsandwich
    crispsandwich Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    depends if you know it will still be in stock in September? I personally wouldn't buy it yet, as you may drop more than one dress size by then, x

I love having clothes rather than the scales as motivation x
  • shiec92
    shiec92 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Personally I wouldn't buy the dress yet, of course I believe you can achieve you goal but you may exceed it also.

Using a picture of motivation is a better idea in my opinion.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i wouldnt, as you dont know where you'll lose the weight from, you may be a size smaller, but a particular cut may not fit as well, or may fit better...
  • lisaabenjamin
    lisaabenjamin Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Are you a bridesmaid and have to wear a certain dress, or is it just a dress you've seen that you'd like to wear? If you're a bridesmaid, I'd probably say buy the dress in the your current size, then if you lose weight/inches you can get it altered to fit you perfectly nearer the time.

If it's just a dress you've seen, I'd take a picture of it and use that as motivation. I'd be worried about spending money on a dress that was too small just in case I didn't meet my goal! Plus, you might decide you want a different dress by September!

Totally understand where you're coming from though - I had this mental battle when I ordered my wedding dress back in February (I'm also getting married in September)...do I order the size according to what I measure now, or what I would like to measure in 7 months time?!

In the end I went for somewhere in between - I took an inch off my waist measurement and half an inch off my arms, crossed my fingers and am hoping for the best. Actually I've now lost 3 inches off my waist so I'm going to have to get it altered when it arrives, but better to make a dress smaller than have to try and make it bigger!
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    hiyah if it was me i would put the work in and then find the dress that fits me when the time comes. good luck
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    don't buy the clothes until you're ready to fit into them.

a friend bought me a small t-shirt when I was losing weight as motivation.... this was fine with me (don't do this without checking with the person first, as not everyone will be okay with this).... also some jeans... well I shrunk into the jeans and they ended up slightly too big but still wearable (and became my favourite jeans which are now my favourite jeans shorts as the knees wore away so I made them into shorts), but I'm never going to fit in that particular t-shirt as my actual rib cage and shoulders are too big for it. There's about 2 sizes difference between the top half and bottom half of my body on account of my shoulders and rib cage.

Point is, you don't know what actual dress size you'll be when you get to be the way you want to look, and you won't know exactly how clothes fit you until you get there.... and in the case of specific events, you may not be at goal by the time the event arises.... best to have an idea of what style etc dress you want to buy, but wait to buy it until closer to the wedding, so you can get one that fits you the size and shape you are at the time. And your other clothes, while it's good to have them as motivation, they may not fit you when you get to goal, it's common even for people to find their goal clothes are actually to big for them. So have clothes as motivation, but actually buy them when the time comes.
  • Steff46
    Steff46 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I agree with using a picture. You may end up losing a lot more than you expected and the dress not look the same anymore. I too use clothes as motivation. Especially with summer coming up!
  • ProjectYummyMummy
    ProjectYummyMummy Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice. Got it! Don't buy. I love the idea that I may actually exceed my goal. (Never actually thought of that.)

In the meantime, I'll be window-shopping it up.

PS. I'm not the bridesmaid. But may end up speaking at the wedding.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice. Got it! Don't buy. I love the idea that I may actually exceed my goal. (Never actually thought of that.)

its so possible just needs patience. i only came here wanting to get down to a uk size 14. and now i have started to buy some uk size 10's. good luck you can do it.
  • lisalooleeli
    lisalooleeli Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Take a picture of the dress and then work towards it. I too love the way my body looks rather that the number on the scale.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    If you typically have a really hard time finding clothes that you love, or that fit you well, then I suppose you could buy the dress now and have it altered later if need be.

However, I wouldn't. I would wait until a few weeks before the event and shop for your body at the time, so you know the dress is perfect.

You can't always know what your body will look like down the road.

I bought a denim dress (non stretchy) in a size 14 when I was a size 18. It looked awesome on me, but was extremely clingy on my belly and hips, so I figured it would look fab when I hit size 14. WRONG! When I got there, the dress looked good on my belly and hip areas but was huge everywhere else and practically falling off, and the arm holes looked like they were made for someone much larger than I am. Totally didn't work out at all. I was better off in different styles/cuts by then. Luckily I didn't pay much for that dress because it was secondhand but it taught me what not to do...buy stuff ahead of time. I have had similar experiences along the way with lots of other clothes, too.

JMHO!
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options

I skipped a size. I went pretty much straight from size 14 to size 10 within two weeks, and there's nothing that says your body won't necessarily do the same.