Digital or regular scale?

Options
I have both, the digital one I think is on the fritz, yesterday my weight went from 248 to 203! lol! Now my regular one, is 55 pounds off, I'm too lazy to fix it (it creeps me out actually) but it steadily gives me the same weight.

There is a question here, which one is better? It appears that moisture will affect my digital one, but the other one can be manually manipulated. I'm looking to replace one, but I want the right one.

Replies

• gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    The scale that let you "lose" 48 pounds overnight needs to be in the back of the closet (or the trash). Digital is more accurate. If it doesn't like moisture, put it in your bedroom.
  • shiec92
    shiec92 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I personally think that a digital scale is better after using both, if you're replacing one I'm sure either will be accurate and although they may differ from your current ones if you then use that start weight as a base you should have no problems, you'll know if you're losing.

Manual scales can vary a bit by how you're positioned, and if you need to look down at your weight, your balance will shift, changing the weight. When I use digital scales, I stand on and look straight ahead until a reading is given then check, mine are always accurate.
  • bridgie101
    bridgie101 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I'd get a nice new salter mechanical but that's because I like them. They don't require batteries, you feel more real standing on them, and zeroing them manually is satisfying.

Having said that they don't re-zero 100% accurately on their own... how level is your floor? Do you have a designated spot for your scales?

What do you WANT to do?
  • KhatLady
    KhatLady Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    My digital scale will have problems "zeroing" when the batteries are running down. 9 times out of 10 if I step on it and found I've lost 17 pounds or something silly since yesterday, it's because a cat was sitting on the scale until it shut itself, so it's actually "starting up" at -17lbs rather than 0. If I step off and back on it zeros correctly and shows the proper weight.
  • KimiSteinbach
    KimiSteinbach Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I have a digital scale... I like to see if I lost .4 lbs or .6, :)
  • looseseal
    looseseal Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I have a digital scale but it only shows whole numbers. If I'm at a true "half" (like 163.5 rather than 163 or 164), it will flash back and forth between the 163 and the 164. I don't want a scale that shows the little .2 or .6 or whatever. Way too tedious for me.

If moisture is a problem, store the scale in your bedroom closet but weigh yourself on the hard bathroom floor, same spot each time. Weighing on carpeting just isn't accurate.
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I have a digital scale... I like to see if I lost .4 lbs or .6, :)
    Agreed! Plus it is much easier to read than the traditional scale.