Headaches

memaw66
memaw66 Posts: 2,558 Member
Does anyone out there have any good cures for headaches? I have taken every over the counter pain medication you can think of. I just can't get rid of the headaches. This has gone on for years! I have been to countless doctors, who have diagnoses from allergies, migraines, .....you name it. Nothing makes them go away. Please help!!!!

Charlaine

P.S.
Can you tell I'm suffering right now????

I wear glasses already so it's not my eyes either.

Replies

• memaw66
    memaw66 Posts: 2,558 Member
    Does anyone out there have any good cures for headaches? I have taken every over the counter pain medication you can think of. I just can't get rid of the headaches. This has gone on for years! I have been to countless doctors, who have diagnoses from allergies, migraines, .....you name it. Nothing makes them go away. Please help!!!!

Charlaine

P.S.
    Can you tell I'm suffering right now????

I wear glasses already so it's not my eyes either.
  • I feel for ya! I also have suffered headaches a lot. Sinus, Stress, Migraine, you name it. Sometimes Aleve works, but most of the time, the only thing that works for me is a cold rag and a dark room.

Sorry I am not more help, but I will be watching for the suggestions also!
  • Cloe
    Cloe Posts: 435
    I suffered from daily headaches also from a neck injury in a car accident. I find what helps is slow rotations of the neck and head in the morning. And tilting forward and back. I have a regimen of exercises I need to do in the morning to get going. You could have from some unknown injury a problem with your neck that causes headaches?? There are so many things it could be. Just a thought. But one thing you can use is tylenol slow releasing gel caplets (8 hour). If that is strong enough. That way they sort of are working for you on a continual basis and you just take them every 8 hours. I actually had to move on to something stronger prescribed medication Lyrica because of other pain complications. Fibromyalgia and other injuries from the car accident. Too much information maybe. Anyway I hope that helps in some way. Good luck and I sympathized with your headaches. YECH!
  • jenken99
    jenken99 Posts: 564 Member
    sometimes depending where the headache is i put vicks on my temples.. sounds weird but it works for me:laugh:
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    I sometimes get migraines, and nothing works for those! I have found that Aleve lessens it as far as painkillers go. I got them more frequently when I was younger, and my mom used to put the hairdryer on low and blow that on my head just as if she were drying my hair. It was very relaxing and helped a lot with earaches as well.
  • kris23
    kris23 Posts: 44
    I had some pretty severe headaches while I was pregnant and they would last for days and go then come back every couple of weeks. I went to emergency and they gave me morfine and sent me on my way, saying it was just a very bad headache. When I told my midwife she did some blood work and found out an iron enzyme was too high, and had to be fixed with low doses of ferrum (iron). Go to your doctor and tell him you want a complete blood work test on your minerals, liver function and CBC. Anything that is low or high will show up, it could be something as simple as not enough of a certain vitamin. I find relief from headaches by taking a calcium magnesium supplement (2000mg) its about 4-5 pills. Sound like a lot but its in the recommended dose for a day.
  • dr_sus
    dr_sus Posts: 10 Member
    make sure you're drinking enough water. try to keep your upper back muscles relaxed. when i get a headache i can press on both sides of my head (temporal arteries) for about 30 seconds. this sometimes stops it. also caffeine can stop headaches b/c it constricts the blood vessels so they don't get engorged in your head and cause irritation. hope this helps.
  • kris2600
    kris2600 Posts: 149
    I have heard that having somone massage your hands helped. There is suppose to be a spot between your thumb and index finger that you massage and make your headache go away.
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    I have always had issues with headaches. One thing I have found is a rolled towel or neck pillow will help when you are laying down lay your neck over he pillow. That is especially helpful after you have taken a shower. If it is muscle related or stress Bath and Body works has a massage oil that you can put on and it will help the best one I have found is the Spearmint and Eucalyptus.

One thing that I quit using is aspartame. It caused such horrible migraine type headaches for my daughter and I that we would not be able to do anything. She was being sent home from school in 1st grade with them. They were very serious. Anyway we did the whole doctor trip and everything. What finally did it is taking aspartame and products like that out of our diet. We don't use any of them. I know it is supposedly safe because the FDA says so. But it is chemically processed and you don't know what the chemicals are doing to your body. Sorry I will get off my soap box now:embarassed:

I really hope you can get some relief. A doctor or chiropractor may be able to help.

Good luck:flowerforyou:
  • bricker06
    bricker06 Posts: 316
    400 mg of magnesium. works for me. the neurologist had me on $300 worht of meds for months that didnt help. i started seeing a new doctor he took me off all that and asked me to start over. he suggested 400 mg of magnesium. i very rarely get headaches now.