Newbie Question

Options
Just a question regarding the goal of 8 cups of water per day. Is that strictly water or does coffee count? Does crystal light count? Thanks!

Replies

• rachaelgoslan
    Options
    I don't know myself but I do know that if I drink 8 or more cups I get bloated. I stick to about 5 cups but I do drink a few cups of green tea a day which I guess would up the water intake :)
  • dgeorgiadis
    dgeorgiadis Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Coffee does not count in fact coffee is a diuretic so it actually speeds up water loss. Crystal light is so full of artificial sweeteners that I would stay away from it as well. If you really need that sweet drink fix Crystal light is better than pop or any kind of juice.
  • Kadoober
    Kadoober Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I think ultimately, this is a matter of preference, but seeing as how the main ingredient in both coffee and crystal light are water, yes, you can consider that water.

There is also water in food.

Making sure you stay hydrated is really the most important part :)
  • unesemainedecruaute
    unesemainedecruaute Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    That's up to you, the recommendation is both to drink 8 (Mayo clinic suggest 9 coups for women) glasses of liquid AND this liquid to be water.

Truth is that, whereas water is the best you may have regarding liquids, coffee, tea, etc. does count. About coffee being a diuretic, there's been few studies showing that that is not a longer effect, as you develop "tolerance" to it¹.

The objective here is to keep you hydrated and healthy, as much as possible. If you need to start by crystal light to reach the plain water in a future, go for it.

¹ For example: Maughan RJ, Griffin J. J Human Nutrition & Dietetics. 2003
  • headofphat
    headofphat Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Technically I think you're supposed to drink half of your body weight in ounces of water. Confusing? If you weigh 150lbs..then you're supposed to drink at least 75 oz of water.

that's what i've always heard.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Caffeine controversy debunked - the diuretic effect makes you pee more but won't necessarily dehydrate you.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/expert-answers/caffeinated-drinks/faq-20057965

Technically any fluid contributes to hydration. Even eating fresh fruits, veggies, and undercooked meats will contribute to hydration.

The best way to judge hydration is to go by your urine color. If it's darker yellow, drink more. If it's very pale yellow, you're right on target. If it's clear, you may want to back off on the fluids a bit.
  • SCV34
    SCV34 Posts: 2,048 Member
    Options
    I think it is strictly water. That is how I log it anyway. Everything else like coffee, juice etc gets logged in the bevarage part of my diary.
  • svandever101585
    svandever101585 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Coffee and other caffeinated or carbonated beverages like diet, decaf soda, ect do not count. I know some people that just can not stand plain water so they use Crystal Light and they do count that. I personally only count plain water and water with a small amount of fresh fruit added. I like to add lemon or strawberries to my water for flavor.
  • theJTfitness
    theJTfitness Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    The diuretic effect is pretty minimal, especially if you are adapted to it. I count pretty much any liquid myself.
  • ezloshead
    ezloshead Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    It'll keep you hydrated but for me fake sweets make me crave real sweets pretty hard. Just drinking water and green tea makes the cravings go away for the most part. Try following the 80/20 rule. 80% water, 20% other stuff.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    I only log water (flavored w/ Mio, Crystal Light, etc. or plain) but the big picture is to stay hydrated and all beverages help there. Though ONLY drinking coffee & soda can be rough on your kidneys.