Bulletproof Coffee?

Options
Ok, maybe I live under a rock... but can someone please explain?

http://www.dailypercolator.com/food_ventures/bulletproofcoffee/

How does coffee + butter + coconut oil lead to weight loss...? Seems like something Dr. Oz would endorse IMO.

Replies

• ipag
    ipag Posts: 137
    Options
    This of it as a Carnation Instant Breakfast for people who follow paleo. Gets you calories when you're in a hurry in the morning.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I see it mostly as a gimmick to earn the blogger more money. Notice the "use my coupon code when you order coffee"... But I agree, it's common for the paleo crowd to put coconut oil in their coffee (have heard of combining it with butter, but it would increase the calories). Doesn't seem like it's supposed to be a weight loss supplement, just a meal replacement for paleo.
  • LizCO2DC
    LizCO2DC Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I had never heard of it before and it just struck me as very strange.
  • chantalb79
    chantalb79 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi!!! I'm that blogger... and nope sorry, I made not a single penny off of that coupon code. Maybe the gentleman who the recipe originated from made something off of his ideas since he sells the ultra expensive coffee and oil on his website.

The "gimmick" in Bulletproof Coffee is the amazing health benefits that coconut oil and grass-fed butter add to your diet. The healthy fats in these two ingredients help your body to absorb vitamins, regulate blood sugar, increase metabolism, reduce inflammation, and on and on.

When you are on a low-carb (Atkins, Keto, LCHF) the key to succeeding is to consume enough quality fats and calories to maintain enough energy to avoid hunger and blood sugar spikes. This drink provides you with a daily energy and metabolism boost to start your day with, in addition to helping regulate your appetite while still providing you with the necessary calories.

Additionally, it tastes fantastic without any added sugars, carbs, or anything processed and artificial. Its good for you and for your diet.

I suggest doing some solid research on grass-fed butter and coconut oil before jumping to the gimmick conclusion, you will be glad you did.
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    The 'bulletproof coffee' looks nothing more than a recipe for early cardio-vascular disease and death.
    Stay away from it.
  • igotabulletproofheart
    Options
    I'm not sure about the butter but I know coffee is meant to increase your metabolism slightly and apparently coconut oil is meant to be good for weight loss. I use it for my skin and hair and to shallow fry but other than that, what is the point? To me, as long as you're doing the right things to lose 1-2lbs a week then you don't need foods like this "bulletproof coffee". If you want coffee, just have the coffee. There's no point in adding the 1-2tbsp of coconut oil. That's just making a very expensive (in terms of calories) coffee, at 260+ calories!

I call BS on specific recipes and things like this. There's no point in going to all this effort if you're already on the road to weight loss. It's not like it's going to help you loose an 5lbs.
  • green_owl
    green_owl Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    bulletproof coffee is great if you need some extra energy. i would sometimes have it before intense training in morning, if i don't feel like eating breakfast.
    But it's not some kind of magic that will make you lose weight
  • SteveyBrule
    SteveyBrule Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    You're thinking of processed foods, carbs and sugars. Those are almost entirely responsible for cardiovascular disease and actually increase the amount of bad cholesterol in your blood.

People have been putting churned, whole cream (aka butter) in coffee and tea for literally centuries, all around the world.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    The 'bulletproof coffee' looks nothing more than a recipe for early cardio-vascular disease and death.
    Stay away from it.

The fat has nothing to do with cardio vascular disease or death.

Death is inevitable for everything and everyone, just the cycle of life.

Saturated fat and a high fat way of eating has many health benefits.
  • brookemart81
    brookemart81 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    The guy that invented this stuff is a marketing genius... he's charging people $18 a pound for special "toxin free" coffee, and selling bottles of "special" coconut oil extract (aka capric/caprylic triglycerides- something I buy by the gallon for my cosmetics business at $3 a lb) for $45 a bottle.

Obviously if there are any benefits to any of this, regular coffee, regular butter, and regular coconut oil will have the same effect. Personally I'll stick with my regular toxin-filled coffee with a bit of milk, but whatever floats your boat.
  • IloveXfit47
    IloveXfit47 Posts: 12
    Options
    A good percentage of people at the gym I go to swear by bulletproof coffee. I have not tried it personally but I'm sure they are just adding a little extra bulk/energy to coffee. Not a bad idea but Ill stick to my turkey bacon and fruits.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    He's an *kitten*.

The coffee is good if you make it right.

I like it- once I finally sacked up to try it (personally the idea of it made me want to vomit when I first heard of it)

But it takes too much time to make.

So ultimately- I can't be bothered- I also do not think it made a huge difference in my energy level.

Do it if you want- don't if you don't. you don't need special stuff to make it- you can actually make it in a regular blender bottle with a wire blender ball (be careful when you pop the top- steam and pressure and stuff) but it works as well as an electric blender for consistency.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    This is my bulletproof coffee...
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSk7aVWSnAg2V0yRqASFILXw3wOkG9K3QUMbc1LKWos5QuWfTjs

Now excuse me while I go take on the world!
  • _Pseudonymous_
    _Pseudonymous_ Posts: 1,671 Member
    Options
    I can't help but wonder about the after affects of bullet coffee...
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    I can't help but wonder about the after affects of bullet coffee...

If you're not used to heavy amounts of coconut oil... yeah, you'll have no concerns regarding constipation.

Once your body adapts, it isn't bad.

I have this almost every morning. Primarily because I don't like solid food before noon, and depending on my day, I may not be able to eat between noon and 4-5pm. So, I need something (in case I have to skip lunch) to hold me over. This works. It also fits into my calorie goals each day.

I generally have 2 TBS of butter and 2 TBS of coconut oil (so a little over 440 calories) in the morning. This isn't really that bad. If I was eating breakfast, I would have about that many calories. And, the days when I do eat breakfast, I drink my coffee black. So, it's just a meal replacement option (as has been mentioned already).