Would you eat it?

Options
Hello!
I am currently in a mini vacation for a family member's wedding in Belgium this year. For those of you that have been to Belgium, you may know how many delicious foods there are. (I.e. Belgian chocolate, the French fries, the waffles, etc). I have been doing well on my diet, but I really want to enjoy some of these foods, as I cant get them very often. What ive been doing is i upped my calories to maintenance for the week and have been only drinking water, while still enjoying delicious fatty foods.If you were in my situation, would you just forget dieting for a week and enjoy, or still limit your portions and eat healthy?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    when i am on holiday i just enjoy myself and eat exactly what i want....
  • lensperry
    lensperry Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I say eat it too. That would probably be a once in a lifetime trip for me. I would regret not trying the things I wanted to if I restricted myself on a vacation like that.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Yup!! Just got back from a vacation where I fully enjoyed all the eating and drinking. While I'm not crazy about what the scale said yesterday morning, I know a lot of it is water weight from all the sodium, alcohol and traveling. I had fairly light breakfasts and lunches, got some activity in and then ate whatever I wanted for dinner including wine and dessert most nights. While I didn't track a thing, I'm pretty sure that didn't put me in too much of a calorie excess overall.
  • Sfeola
    Sfeola Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I would eat anything and everything while on Vacation
  • theJTfitness
    theJTfitness Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Vacation is YOU time. I eat and drink pretty much whatever I want on vacation. Enjoy yourself.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    I say eat what you want and enjoy yourself without the stress of diet and counting calories.

Live and be happy for the time you are there and take in all of the wonderful cultural aspects... including the foods.

Of course, moderation is key.

I'd eat as much chocolate as I'd like but I wouldn't eat so much that I'd make myself sick :smile:

Just get right back on track when you get home.

FYI - I did a long weekend with my husband to a place where fried seafood is the best in the world. We also found a little ice cream shop that makes their own ice cream right there in the shop and they only had like seven or so flavors to choose from but they were totally different like blueberry chipolte, nutella cranberry, strawberry basil, salted sweet cream with goat cheese, etc. Very unusual and amazingly delicious!

I ate what I wanted for four days, breads, fried foods, desserts, ice creams, snacks, treats, etc. things I never never eat. We did do a ton of walking around as well. Surprisingly enough when I got back I was only a couple of pounds up and that weight vanished within just a couple of days of drinking lotts of water and just getting back on my normal routine.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I would definitely indulge in the deliciousness within reason. Not sure if I'd bother tracking or not (probably would make an attempt) but I would be sure to find every little opportunity for exercise, whether in the hotel gym or just walking miles upon miles as a tourist.
  • Sadedoes
    Sadedoes Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    If you can get your hands on mattentaart, vlaai, broodpudding & pannenkoeken, try them too. Sometimes when I want something badly, I just share it with BF.

(Living in Belgium sometimes you just give in and eat all the chocolate)
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I would eat what I wanted and try to do a lot of walking.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Heck yeah! Plus they make many great and unusual beers in Belgium too. I have no doubt I'd come back from there more than a few pounds heavier than when I left.
  • wannakimmy
    wannakimmy Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Yep, what they said, enjoy yourself. I would personally still log everything, but would try to enjoy the culture.
  • amirahdaboss
    amirahdaboss Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice! I'm gonna try to enjoy myself, but with some limits
  • jodescorinna
    jodescorinna Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I went to America (I'm from the UK) for 3 weeks just shy of 2 years ago and indulged in whatever I wanted - but I made use of the hotel gyms and we walked alot - came home and had only put on 2lb. Wouldnt worry about it, if its a once in a blue moon thing eat those foods and deal with it after your vacation.

I am going back to America (Seattle) to get married in August and I intend on enjoying myself whole heartedly whilst there but strangely I'm looking forward to the big fresh prawns and fish you can get down in Pike Place Market instead of the breakfast waffles this time.....I've changed :grumble: :laugh: