Starting Over with MyFitnessPal

Options
Hello! I was using MyFitnessPal for several months and had lost about 10 pounds but I completely gave up on it during December. I feel absolutely terrible about myself and I am desperate to lose some weight. I joined a new gym a couple of weeks ago, but have not gone yet. I am scared and intimidated and feel a little bit helpless in the motivation department. You would think that hating my body would be enough motivation, but for some reason it is not. Any words of wisdom? I am going to try my best working with MyFitnessPal and getting to the gym. Like I said, I just struggle the most with the motivation.

Replies

• diet45
    diet45 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I started over using MFP last June and I've lost 32 lbs. The tip I can give you is to get stubborn....set some realistic goals this week and keep them no matter what. You will be amazed at how much motivation you will have in keeping your goals, then next week do the same thing. I would get overwhelmed at looking at the big picture and how much weight I had to lose, so I would just think about 1 month.....if I lose 5 lbs this month I'll weigh _____. Hope that helps!!!
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Welcome back, success in life isn't measured by how many times you fall, but how many times you pick yourself up and start again.

Go to the gym, you can't be intimidated without your permission (paraphrased from Eleanor Roosevelt).
  • solraciii
    Options
    hey there,
    number 1 , don't be so hard on yourself.... #2 just get a few days of healthy eating and excercising under your belt and you'll feel fine.....
  • ❤B☩❤
    Options
    Once again, I am in complete agreement with DIET45 ..... I believe that if you break down your goals, they are far more attainable, little by little. I take 10 pounds at a time, rather than the 70 I need to lose. I have achieved 3 ten pounds goals so far, and I am working on my 4th. It's so much easier on your psyche, too. Be kind to yourself, but you are the only one who can kick it into gear! Do it for YOU, because YOU matter! Have faith that you can do it! :drinker:

Good luck and good health! Enjoy your journey!
  • Lisabel
    Lisabel Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I'm starting over too! We CAN do this!! :smile:
  • Shaping_My_Destiny
    Options
    Hi there. I know what you mean as far as movitivation. The key is finding something that really works for you and admitting what doesn't. For instance, after years of throwing away money at gyms I decided they are not right for me. Walking only worked for a while then I'd get bored. For past 3 years, I would only stick with something for 6 months, then give up. Last year, I set one goal: be consistent and do it for more than 6 months.

One of the last places I thought I'd end up was a tae kwon do kickboxing class. I have NO interest in martial arts. But, I saw a sign about the class and called the place 3 times. Everytime, I got the same guy. Then, one day I told him I don't want to be the fattest person in class. He said, if you'll come in...I promise that I won't give up on you, if you won't give up on me. I've been consistent for 14 months. I've lost two pants sizes and bought smaller clothes for the first time in about 10 years.

I have a very long way to go, but I met my goal! Set a small one. Learn from past mistakes. You can do it!
  • notsosimplyabby
    notsosimplyabby Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat too! No more back and forth "diets" for us! MFP helps us to have a complete lifestyle change!
  • suzyanne
    Options
    I'm starting over too..but with one catch..I'm pregnant! I've been off for almost 4 months because of all the sickness, etc, but I'm trying to get back on the wagon. I realize weight LOSS is not realistic, but I am hoping that I can keep a reasonable hold on being HEALTHY!! I don't want to feel like I'm starting from an all-time high once my baby is born. I want to feel like I have to shed the baby weight and then continue on my previous progress. This is my first time, so I'm really not sure how to do this, but I'm determined to try. Good luck everyone!!
  • Notsocorny
    Options
    I hear you, I gave up in in October actually. It was just after an injury. I just keep reminding myself, that it is the best present i can give myself, a healthier me. There are plenty of things in life I still want to do, and I want to make sure I can endure them all! My current goal is to get my legs (yes both of them) back into shape to finish a moderate hike starting at the end of may or early june. Find what is inside of you to motivate you.

Good Luck!! :)