Wii Fitness

Options
Hi everyone:

I'm new to this site and started mid-December. Love it! What a fabulous tool. Even my husband is getting into my progress, although he's more shy about joining. I'm a life-long dieter. Can you say Yo Yo? Yup, that's me. Tired of it. So here I am again trying to lose a ton of weight, again. But this time I'm having a lot of fun because of this tool.

My husband and I are in heated debate about Wii Bowling, Golf and Tennis. We just got it for Christmas, and whenever I spend any significant amount of time playing it with my family, I record it under exercise. He thinks that's cheating because it's not "real exercise." I tried explaining it to him but it doesn't get through his pretty little head.

Anyone out there have experience using Wii for exercise? Any arguments I can take to my hubby to "shut him up" ... so to speak?

Have a productive week!

Replies

• TammyBee
    TammyBee Posts: 178
    Options
    If you were PLAYING tennis would you be able to record it? Sure? Same thing. Maybe the Wii does not burn as much as tennis but every little bit counts.
  • AMOMONAJOURNEYTOCHANGEHERLIFE
    Options
    I wouldn't count playing the bowling tennis and golf. I've never really elevated my heart rate enough to think of it as real exercise. I think it's better then just sitting watching TV but I don't think it burns very many cals. If you were playing Just dance intensely for 30+ minutes I would count that. Or even the boxing that comes with most Wii as long as you were intensely doing it. Of if you were doing one of the many workout games you probably would be raising up your heart rate enough.
  • angiesteele
    angiesteele Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    If it is anything out of you ordinary activities then i count it. I have a desk job so i have my activity level set at sedentary. If you get your heart rate up playing those games on the wii then i think you should count it.
  • emichan21
    emichan21 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I am a big Zumba fan and recently bought Wii Zumba. There is NO doubt in my mind that I am burning calories! They are going to count for sure! I recently purchased a calorie counting/heart rate watch for about $50/$60. If you wear it while doing the Wii you can give him concrete proof that you are burning calories! When I go to Zumba class I burn up to 1,200 calories in 60 minutes!
  • SweetOrganics
    SweetOrganics Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I use Wii for exercise. I use the Wii Fit mostly, but here are categories for Wii Bowling, tennis, golf etc. Show him that when you go to log in exercise, then cardiovascular & search for Wii it comes up. When you put in your mins, it will calculate your calories based on your weight. If it weren't an exercise, it wouldn't be listed.
  • bzmom
    bzmom Posts: 1,332 Member
    Options
    I do the wii zumba fitness and i record the calories but I have an HR monitor I purchased at walmart that tracks my HR and calories burned during my class! maybe something to invest in and that would definitely prove him wrong if your heart rate does elevate to a burning stage
  • bzmom
    bzmom Posts: 1,332 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I am a big Zumba fan and recently bought Wii Zumba. There is NO doubt in my mind that I am burning calories! They are going to count for sure! I recently purchased a calorie counting/heart rate watch for about $50/$60. If you wear it while doing the Wii you can give him concrete proof that you are burning calories! When I go to Zumba class I burn up to 1,200 calories in 60 minutes!

ME TOO!!!!!
  • MarkHarrisonUK
    Options
    If you want "proof by experts", then tell your hubby that a small study of 13 children conducted by a professor at Liverpool John Moores University in Britain in February 2007 found that participants burn about 150 calories per hour playing Wii.

As the saying goes, however. your results will vary.

If you REALLY want to settle the argument, though... for a few quid / dollars, you could go and get a heart-rate monitor, and see what effect it was actually having the way that YOU play the games in question.
  • rhonda6869
    rhonda6869 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    We recently bought the Just Dance2 game for my children for the Wii and I can promise you that you will burn calories and have the most fun while you r doing it!! LOVE LOVE LOVE that game!
  • KaulGirl
    Options
    WOW! Fabulous input. Appreciate all responses. I definately feel my heart rate increasing when I play. I've broken out into a sweat a few times too. To be safe on calorie count, I usually do about 2 hours but record just 1 hours worth or 30 mins for an hours worth, etc. When it's not my turn (I play with my 5 yrold) I stand or jump in place to keep moving and squeeze my butt checks or stretch.
  • crazycat327
    Options
    It sounds like you need to battle each other in boxing! You will have a higher heart rate than the bowling/tennis/golf.
  • KaulGirl
    Options
    Wii Zumba -- that sounds like fun! I'm going to have to get that!
  • KaulGirl
    Options
    If you want "proof by experts", then tell your hubby that a small study of 13 children conducted by a professor at Liverpool John Moores University in Britain in February 2007 found that participants burn about 150 calories per hour playing Wii.

As the saying goes, however. your results will vary.

If you REALLY want to settle the argument, though... for a few quid / dollars, you could go and get a heart-rate monitor, and see what effect it was actually having the way that YOU play the games in question.

Sounding more like Zumba, Just Dance and HR monitor here I come. Love your survey results! I might just have to resort to battling him in the boxing ring. I think my hubby is noticing my loss results and is secretly enjoying it ... and the little battle he instigates keeps me going. HA!