baby leaf spinach ideas

Options
gecho
gecho Posts: 426 Member
Any ideas on something to do with baby leaf spinach? i made a lovely salad today and enjoyed it but I have half a bag of spinach and want some different ideas of somthing to do with it:smile:

Replies

• BeLightYear
    BeLightYear Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    They are great on sandwiches too, especially with tuna:flowerforyou:
  • sempernova
    sempernova Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    http://greenmonstermovement.com/?page_id=39

Green monster smoothies!!!
  • jdsouthernbelle
    Options
    Spinach & mushroom pasta with chicken or shrimp
  • dazzlepants
    Options
    I put spinach in everything! It adds extra bulk, fiber and nutrients without adding a lot of calories. It's especially good with whole wheat pasta.

Or you could make a spinach frittata - here's a great recipe: http://lowfatcooking.about.com/od/vegetablevegetariandishes/r/potspinfrittata.htm
  • cmw9696
    cmw9696 Posts: 123
    Options
    add it to lasagne or on pizza as a topper with Roma tomatoes. Add it to any sandwich. I love my salad with a hard boiled egg and shredded cheddar with lite honey mustard dressing. love my spinach!
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    I sautee spinach in a 1 tsp of olive* oil with garlic or with some ginger, sliced almonds and golden raisins. Obviously doing it with just garlic is lighter on the calories.

*edited to clarify type of oil used.
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Side dish- Sautee pan. A lil olive oil, Fresh garlic. Toss in spinach and let it wilt. A lil salt. Nom. :)

Or, pasta with some olive oil and garlic, tons of veggies like your spinach. Slice up some italian sausage (turkey or regular, whichever you prefer), toss em together.

Soups - chicken broth, random veggies from fridge, add chicken, diced ham, turkey, rice whatever.

Ok, responding to this has inspired me to cook lunch now. Thanks! haha
  • lt_mrcook
    lt_mrcook Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    spinach pasta with whole wheat flour...
  • Ateamfosho
    Options
    love baby spinach, heres some ideas, feta cheese, sundried tomatos, home made honey and mustard dressing,
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    saute with some other stuff and add to an omlette
  • lbridges27
    Options
    Bacon, Mozzarella, Spinach Sandwich

2 strips cooked bacon
    slice fresh mozzarella
    sautee your spinach leaves
    slice of tomato
    2 slices whole wheat bread

I heat mine up in a panini maker, it's delicious! You can leave off the bacon if you want it healthier. But it makes a great week day lunch
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,385 Member
    Options
    baby spinach is wonderful in egg beater omelet with onions or garlic and anything else you add. I add cheese and turkey bacon at times too. A nice quick lowfat meal.
  • Ashley_Panda
    Ashley_Panda Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I like to sautee it with mushrooms and onions and put it in a whole wheat tortilla with a little bit of fat free cheese. Delish.
  • bloodbank
    bloodbank Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    You can cram a serious load of spinach into just a 2 or 3 egg omelette.
  • duffylinn
    Options
    I make my breakfast smoothie every morning with spinach and you cannot taste it I SWEAR. Just add it to a berry smoothie recipe and you're all good :)
  • carrietobias
    Options
    add it to the pizza recipe!! Awesome
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    +1 on the Green smoothe but WITHOUT the green colour. Use frozen mango, frozen blueberries, water and spinach and you'll have a purple smoothie that doesn't taste like spinach due to mango's high sugar content or look like it. Fresh blueberrie cause the smoothie to have a freckled and green look - not very appetizing ;)

I also made these at at pot luck in 2010 and it was well received. Here is my photo;
    Picture157.jpg

Tuna Salad Appetizers

1 can Clover light tuna in water
    ¼ cup chopped celery
    ¼ cup chopped red or while onion
    ¼ cup broccoli florets
    2 tbsp Miracle Whip Non-Fat Dressing
    1 tsp balsamic vinegar
    16 spinach leaves
    Fresh ground pepper

Directions: Drain tuna. Mix all ingredients together and spoon onto freshly washed spinach leaves. Makes approximately 16.

WW Points: 0

* If you eat all 16 its 3 WW points or if you use the more commonly found Miracle Whip Light 30 cal per tbsp its 4 WW point for all 16.
  • sbilyeu75
    sbilyeu75 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I eat baby spinach on everything. I mix it with scrambled eggs, on sandwiches, salads, lasagna and cook it when i just want a single serving or if it's not going to last too long.
  • nomoremuffintopness
    nomoremuffintopness Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    This is what I do and LOVE it.

In a bowl, add spinach, spray with olive oil, microwave for 30 seconds. Top with fresh squeezed lemon juice and fresh parmesan. Voila! Fast and so yummy. I make a HUGE bowl
  • nomoremuffintopness
    nomoremuffintopness Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    +1 on the Green smoothe but WITHOUT the green colour. Use frozen mango, frozen blueberries, water and spinach and you'll have a purple smoothie that doesn't taste like spinach due to mango's high sugar content or look like it. Fresh blueberrie cause the smoothie to have a freckled and green look - not very appetizing ;)

I also made these at at pot luck in 2010 and it was well received. Here is my photo;
    Picture157.jpg

Tuna Salad Appetizers

1 can Clover light tuna in water
    ¼ cup chopped celery
    ¼ cup chopped red or while onion
    ¼ cup broccoli florets
    2 tbsp Miracle Whip Non-Fat Dressing
    1 tsp balsamic vinegar
    16 spinach leaves
    Fresh ground pepper

Directions: Drain tuna. Mix all ingredients together and spoon onto freshly washed spinach leaves. Makes approximately 16.

WW Points: 0

* If you eat all 16 its 3 WW points or if you use the more commonly found Miracle Whip Light 30 cal per tbsp its 4 WW point for all 16.

YUM!!!!!!!!!