NSV: C25K accomplishment

Options
Ttlklutz
Ttlklutz Posts: 34 Member
I was on w5d3 of c25k. Which means my first run with no intervals, just me and the pavement uninterupted for 20 minutes and to be honest...i was scared. W5d2 was 8 minute runs and my chest started to hurt, undoubtably from the 3 years straight of mcdonalds that my mom fed me in my very early teens followed by going out to a restaraunt or having take out atleast 27 times a month, not even joking. I know my arteries are clogged and i hate feeling the pressure it causes. Anyway I was supposed to do it Sunday but found the excuse that my running shoes were still wet worked very nicely lol it was time to get over it though.

Luckily I am a dreamer, when i run i am consumed by my dreams playing them out in my mind in extensive detail whether it is buisness goals, fitness goal, sprititual goals, marital goals or whatever, I dream of inspiring people in a way i have never been able to before. I play over everything as I run, about being a good influence to my future children, I hate the part when i come out my trance because thats when i realize how much pain i am in, when im lost in my dream im only aware enough to keep running it feels like :)

So I finally just got to it last night and did it. For the first 5 minutes it sucked big time because I was consumed with the thought of how long I had to run for. I LITEREALLY fought with myself during those minutes to shut up with the negative self talk and only allow the positive. Quickly my mind came to my future daughter and how I never want her to go through this, I always want her to feel beautiful, healthy and intelligent, never for a second of her life do I want her to feel what having a low self image and no confidence feels like. With that for the remaining 15 minutes of my run I chanted in my head "Our kids will follow our example, Our kids will follow our expamlpe.." It was painful and my legs are sore today but I am unconditionally and irrevocably in love with running!

Oh and even though he will likely never see this, i have to thank my fiancee for bouncing along side of me rain or shine, day or night even though he can walk faster then i run <3

Replies

• Hunnib23
    Hunnib23 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I am on W7D2 so I know EXACTLY how you feel! I have always HATED running but now I look forward to it. I am taking 3 days before I run again because of how sore my shins were but it's crazy that I can do it without walking. And I was the same way- eating fast food twice a day (literally) for about 2-3 years. Keep it up! And just remember, a mile is a mile, whether it is a six minute mile, or 16 minutes!
  • Laughter_Girl
    Laughter_Girl Posts: 2,226 Member
    Options
    Fabulous NSV, and very inspiring!!! Thanks for giving me something to think about while "running" other than how much longer before I'm done. :laugh: I have to complete W6D3 tomorrow. Enjoying the runs.
  • ShortMrsN
    ShortMrsN Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!!

I remember being so worried about the 20 minute run, no way I could run that long without dying! But I did it and I was so excited and pleased with myself.

I have completed the c25k program and now run at least 3 times a week for 25-30 minutes and I love it and look forward to it.

Keep up the great work :flowerforyou:
  • Laura732
    Laura732 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Yay for you! I'm a C25k Veteran. I started running 4 years ago, and have kept at it. Today I did 2 sets of Week 4 back to back. So you can say I'm still doing C25k. Anyway, running is a total disconnect from reality whether you're dreaming or your internal metronome is clicking along to the music in the ear bud. I am completely addicted to it. I play rhythm games in my head. Or try to get my feet to land on the beat to the music. Sometimes I even do some singing.
  • paulawatkins1974
    paulawatkins1974 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Congrats!! I want to try this! Only problem is, I live in a totally hilly area. Hardly any flat places at all. No way I could run the hills walking them is hard for me! I may have to get a treadmill. I'm sure it wouldn't be as rewarding though as actually running the 5k.
  • Kara52217
    Kara52217 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this! I was just thinking I was going to start the C25K program but keep talking myself out of it.
    Well I think you just gave me that push!!

Congrats on completing your run!!
  • aliakynes
    aliakynes Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! The first 5 minutes are always the hardest I found. Keep it up!
  • mhiggi02
    mhiggi02 Posts: 5,988 Member
    Options
    Very, very cool...congratulations! I hope running becomes the passion for you that it has for me (and I NEVER thought I'd have a passion for running)!
  • ohiotubagal
    ohiotubagal Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Great job! I know what you mean about having to fight with yourself during a run. Tomorrow I will do week 4 day 3 and I actually am looking forward to it. Isn't it crazy how our attitudes can change in such a short time? I hope you keep it up!
  • Rushgirl82
    Rushgirl82 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    That's great! I finish the program tomorrow!
    I remember week 5 day 3 very well. I was very nervous because I didn't handle the 8 minute run well either. I don't know what it was but I ended up jogging for 25 minutes instead of 20. So worried for nothing! I felt great and so proud! My ankles were sore the next day. But that was about it! Congrats for sticking with it!

PS any fellow c25kers welcome to add me!

Amanda
  • Rushgirl82
    Rushgirl82 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! The first 5 minutes are always the hardest I found. Keep it up!

I agree with this completely!
  • Ttlklutz
    Options
    Seriously, I always hated running too. Even in high school when i was thin but out of shape I still hated it. I just wanted to love it so damn bad, I didnt want to hate working out I wanted to be one of those people that you always see working out because its their passion and hobby. And that is what it is very much turning into for me :)
  • Ttlklutz
    Options
    Well my reply above was supposed to be to the first gal that wrote but i think ill just write a generalized message to all of you now :) Like i said above I just wanted not to hate working out, i wanted it to be a lifestyle and thats the direction it is going in. *Sensitive subject coming* In january me and my fiancee found out we were expecting, i was very displeased with my weight and knew i would be in tons of pain as my pregnancy progressed, i vowed then to lose weight before our next child. Unfortunatly, god had other plans for our sweet baby. Although the conclusion of my pregnancy came much much sooner then expected I wanted to keep that promise. I wanted to be able to handle my greif in a positive manner instead of falling into a deeper depression and burrying myself in food. I have a simple dream to be able to run during my next pregnancy, thats the dream that started my journey :)
  • wnt2bhlthy4me
    wnt2bhlthy4me Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    That's fantastic OP. Your post made me tear alittle. My situation was the same as you. I started C25K a few weeks ago and have done some days more than once. I finshed Week 5, day 2 yesterday, so you know what's next... :) I look forward to it and I will think about your post and my 2 year old son when I do it. Thanks for posting my fellow runner!
  • 123stefania
    123stefania Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Very inspiring. I'm redoing week 4 because I dont feel ready to do the 20 minutes run of the week 5.
    Congrats, I like to run and even miss it when I can't :)
  • krisnatm
    krisnatm Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I just finished C25K last week and I still remember week 5 day 3 very well. I always look ahead to see what's coming up and that one scared me! I never thought I would finish that day much less the whole program! It felt so good when I did it and I haven't stopped since then. I just started the 10K app and I always look forward to my runs now! It's my "me" time where I can just let everything else fall away.
  • jleevans
    jleevans Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Your NSV is very inspiring! I am on W2 D3 and I have never enjoyed running until I started C25K! I look forward to it now and can't wait to see how I progress with the program. I also share a similiar pregnancy story and although God had other plans for 2 of my babies I have promised to be in a better shape no matter what my future holds. I'm doing this for me, for that awesome feeling I get when I complete my workout and for the energy it gives me. Keep going, never give up!
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    This is so inspiring! Remember the way you feel now when you complete the program. I finished the program myself a few days ago, and yesterday I had a very hard time running with no program or time limit. Don't get discouraged if 30 minutes doesn't equal three miles, because it really got to me. Training for the 5K continues after the C25K program, but we all just need to keep this optimistic mindset!
  • gkauf744
    gkauf744 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I also surprised myself by enjoying running. I haven't finished the c25k program yet (I think I'm on week 3, day 2) but I jumped ahead and entered a real 5k. I ran as slow as possible, but ran the whole way. I scored 160th out of 202 runners with a time of 42 minutes. My goal this summer is to amass so many 5k t-shirts that I think to myself "I have too many 5k t-shirts!" lol.

Congrats everyone!
  • redwoodkestrel
    redwoodkestrel Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    So great! Nice work, and congrats!

I'll be doing week 7 day 2 of the Zombies, Run! C25K this afternoon... then only 4 more workouts until I'm DONE! It's always the first 5 minutes that are the hardest, I agree. If I can push through those and *not* concentrate on how much longer I have to run, then I find the rest of the running is really not so bad.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!