How much should I work out?

Options
This sounds like a stupid question it might even be a stupid question but I can't get a good solid answer on google. Maybe the question should read... How much do you work out?
The reason I am asking is because I just started to love working out. I walk my dogs 2.5 miles every morning then usually do an aerobic video like Jillian Michaels "Banish Fat Boost Metablism" before 9 am everyday. I am finding I love working out. I feel great and my body is starting to look good! I want to add a night work out probably more toning than anything (30 day Shread??) but I'm wondering if too much of a good thing can be bad?

Replies

• HerkMeOff
    HerkMeOff Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    This sounds like a stupid question it might even be a stupid question but I can't get a good solid answer on google. Maybe the question should read... How much do you work out?
    The reason I am asking is because I just started to love working out. I walk my dogs 2.5 miles every morning then usually do an aerobic video like Jillian Michaels "Banish Fat Boost Metablism" before 9 am everyday. I am finding I love working out. I feel great and my body is starting to look good! I want to add a night work out probably more toning than anything (30 day Shread??) but I'm wondering if too much of a good thing can be bad?

You're probably going to burn yourself out.

Rest days are important
  • julies90
    julies90 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Take a rest day, but if you have the time and energy, why not spend some extra time doing it? It's better than sitting on your butt.
    I love working out and often do a long run, topped off with 1 or 2 workout DVDs or weight lifting sessions through out the day.
    Just be sure to listen to your body.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

You're probably going to burn yourself out.

Rest days are important

Pretty much this. It's the rest of your life, not a sprint
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Or do what I've done before which is to work out too often and then spend a few months rehabbing an injury from inadequate rest.

The rest days are a far more optimal solution.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I find I feel best when I rest two to three days a week.

It's tempting to workout more days a week and I've tried that too, but that always leads to getting to this one day where I'm like, WTH? Last week I was able to do this day, why am I so tired today? Maybe I'll just take a rest today. And the next day just as tired so rest again, until a week has gone by and I realize I gave up. When I spread my workouts out more this doesn't happen.
  • TiberiusClaudis
    TiberiusClaudis Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Ok...I'll be the devils advocate. I say if you love working out...then do it as much and often as you like. Just make sure you rotate what you do. For example, maybe lift weights and later in the day do cardio. Also you might enjoy doing partner/group activites.

I play a lot of squash..and my wife is a Zumba instructor. So i do both.

Oh and I do practice what I preach...I work out twice a day normally. 3 days on 1 day off of weights and cardio atleast 4 nights a week...and on my off weight lifting day, I walk for an hr regardless if I do cardio that day or not

I consider myself to be extremely fit...not bragging, but just saying, you will be amazed at what your body can do if you just let her run.

Good luck!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    If you eat correctly for your level of exercise, it can help make the effect not so bad.

But many people start eating a whole lot less going in a diet, and then they start exercising more than they ever did.

Then they do more exercising, and that causes water weight gain, so they start eating even less.

Completely wrong and will backfire eventually if weight loss is the goal.
    If wearing yourself out is the goal - then the right direction.

Just confirm you have some rest too.
    Exercise if done right tears the body down.
    It's the rest for recovery and repair that builds it back up, stronger if diet allows.
    But in a diet, recovery is impaired anyway.

So you confirm you are following the MFP program since new to all this. You do more, you eat more. The deficit for weight loss is still in your eating goal.
    Meet your daily goal, which changes depending on how much exercise you do.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    If you eat correctly for your level of exercise, it can help make the effect not so bad.

But many people start eating a whole lot less going in a diet, and then they start exercising more than they ever did.

Then they do more exercising, and that causes water weight gain, so they start eating even less.

Completely wrong and will backfire eventually if weight loss is the goal.
    If wearing yourself out is the goal - then the right direction.

Just confirm you have some rest too.
    Exercise if done right tears the body down.
    It's the rest for recovery and repair that builds it back up, stronger if diet allows.
    But in a diet, recovery is impaired anyway.

So you confirm you are following the MFP program since new to all this. You do more, you eat more. The deficit for weight loss is still in your eating goal.
    Meet your daily goal, which changes depending on how much exercise you do.

Good points.

Having been in an occasional calorie deficit while still training over the past few years, I honestly don't know how some people do it...and by "it", I mean, make any meaningful progress while in a significant calorie deficit. Personally, my performance in the gym suffers greatly...my endurance is crap, I get weaker, and I'm more susceptible to injury. It's a horrible combination.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    a lot of good points in this thread. if you enjoy working out and being active, go do it. but if you're doing it to speed things along, that might be a problem.

i've had days where i do two work outs. i'm a triathlete, so sometimes i have to do them. i'll bike in the morning and run at night, since they use slightly different muscle groups, and i need to get used to running on legs that are tired from cycling. however, i don't usually do super long work outs for either.

also, this happens once to twice a week, and i usually have 1-2 rest days a week.
  • SlightlyMadman
    SlightlyMadman Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I'm just starting out, but I'm one of those people who can't do anything without a regular routine. Seriously, if something disrupts my getting ready for work routine, I will frequently forget to brush my teeth or pack my lunch or something like that. I've found the only way I can reliably actually exercise is if I do it every single morning, as soon as I get out of bed. Giving myself any time to dread it will let me come up with excuses (oh I'm running a bit late, no time or I'll be late for work!).

So far I'm on week #3 of spending 30 minutes on the stair machine M-F every week. On weekends, I skip it, since it's a different routine, although I always make sure I get some sort of exercise either with a hike or a bike ride or yard work.

Am I making a mistake? I'm just worried that if I skip my workout on Tuesday, I'll break the routine and have a much harder time doing it on Wednesday.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    I'm just starting out, but I'm one of those people who can't do anything without a regular routine. Seriously, if something disrupts my getting ready for work routine, I will frequently forget to brush my teeth or pack my lunch or something like that. I've found the only way I can reliably actually exercise is if I do it every single morning, as soon as I get out of bed. Giving myself any time to dread it will let me come up with excuses (oh I'm running a bit late, no time or I'll be late for work!).

So far I'm on week #3 of spending 30 minutes on the stair machine M-F every week. On weekends, I skip it, since it's a different routine, although I always make sure I get some sort of exercise either with a hike or a bike ride or yard work.

Am I making a mistake? I'm just worried that if I skip my workout on Tuesday, I'll break the routine and have a much harder time doing it on Wednesday.

i understand wanting to get into a routine to keep the momentum going. it's commendable. however, you don't have to do the same exact thing every day.

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2010/02/15/how-to-build-your-own-workout-routine/

you can go to the gym same time every day and lift M-W-F, and do cardio tu-th-sa
  • PixieDustTwinkleToes
    PixieDustTwinkleToes Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    If you're just starting out I'd say ease yourself into it gently and start picking up the pace as your body becomes more accustomed to the exercise, and be sure to get in a couple of rest days.

I personally work out quite a lot, most of it cardio, but I do throw some kettle bell exercises into my routine 3 nights a week too. At first it was all just to see the scales move, but now it's because I thoroughly enjoy what I'm doing and I get antsy when I'm forced to take anymore than 2 days a week off :laugh:
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

Exercise is a lifestyle change for me. In the past I've lost weight, then quit exercise.....no surprise the weight came back. No more....I will do the amount of exercise I plan to do forever.

Banish Fat & 30 Day Shred......these are BOTH circuit training....mostly cardio with light strength training. If you like Jillian Michaels then No More Trouble Zones is strength training: https://www.totalfitnessdvds.com/NO-MORE-TROUBLE-ZONES-p/854.htm

If you need to do something active (rest days are important).....look to yoga. This is great for increasing flexibility. This helps to prevent injuries.

These are nice (short) practices....I like to do a couple a week: https://www.totalfitnessdvds.com/YOGA-FOR-YOUR-WEEK-RODNEY-YEE-DVD-p/97.htm
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    If I rest every now and then, I find that my ability and stamina increase the next time I work out, and when I've done more than 7 days in a row with no rest days, I've injured myself and had to take a week off. Do what works for you, though - Listen to your body. Take a rest day and see how you feel.
  • princessquitealot
    princessquitealot Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I'm by no means an expert, I am however fairly high octaine. If it feels good, then do it. If we weren't meant to move we wouldnt have legs. You have a puppy dog that you already walk every day, if you want more, then do more, your body will not lie to you. I love a short cardio in the middle of the day cause I don't have any afternoon energy crisis. I think you should come back inside when the street lights come on. That being said, have fun, and pay attention to you, and the other posters as they have some good points.
  • Jess732008
    Jess732008 Posts: 98 Member
    Options

For good health they say you should exercise 150-420 minutes a week, but there are always positive benefits to increased exercise, until you get injured from overuse, but it takes time to build up to healthy levels.
  • SlightlyMadman
    SlightlyMadman Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    i understand wanting to get into a routine to keep the momentum going. it's commendable. however, you don't have to do the same exact thing every day.

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2010/02/15/how-to-build-your-own-workout-routine/

you can go to the gym same time every day and lift M-W-F, and do cardio tu-th-sa

If I'm not really into lifting though, and don't mind being "skinny-fat" (it still beats being fat), is there any harm in doing cardio five days straight? It seems like most of the tips I've seen against it are from the standpoint of building muscles. I know that's one good strategy for weight loss, and probably even the best technique, but it just doesn't interest me and I'd rather go with a less optimal solution that I'll enjoy and stick with.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

If I'm not really into lifting though, and don't mind being "skinny-fat" (it still beats being fat), is there any harm in doing cardio five days straight? It seems like most of the tips I've seen against it are from the standpoint of building muscles. I know that's one good strategy for weight loss, and probably even the best technique, but it just doesn't interest me and I'd rather go with a less optimal solution that I'll enjoy and stick with.

When you are eating at a deficit you will not be building muscles (unfortunately). Strength (or resistance) training helps you keep the muscle you have. Push ups, squats, planks qualify, No More Trouble Zones qualifies. You can do these at home.

Keeping muscle is important.....a lower body fat % is a healthy goal. I like cardio too, I would love to do just cardio BUT, I've been skinny-fat. The problem with skinny-fat is that I still looked kind on "lumpy" at my goal weight. Skinny-fat made me want to lose even more weight. The number on the scale is way over rated.