How can I lose weight when my BMR is low to begin with?

Options
I know that if I want to lose 1lb per week I should eat 500 calories less than I need. The problem is, if I did that then I would have to cut down to around 900 calories per day which doesn't sound healthy at all to me and it's almost impossible to do. How should I go about losing weight? Do I need to exercise more to burn the calories off or should I just eat about 1000 anyway?

Replies

• silverlining84
    silverlining84 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    If your BMR is too low to begin with.... why are you wanting to lose more weight? Focus on building muscle (which looks better than skinny fat) besides worrying about the # on the scale.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I know that if I want to lose 1lb per week I should eat 500 calories less than I need. The problem is, if I did that then I would have to cut down to around 900 calories per day which doesn't sound healthy at all to me and it's almost impossible to do. How should I go about losing weight? Do I need to exercise more to burn the calories off or should I just eat about 1000 anyway?

So what is your BMR? And what is your TDEE? Since you are saying you need to eat 900 to lose, are you saying your TDEE is 1400?
  • eilidh323
    eilidh323 Posts: 2
    Options
    Depending on which calculator I use, my BMR is usually around 1200. My TDEE is 1450 or so because I'm quite short and small framed
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,574 Member
    Options
    Then eat your BMR.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    If those are your numbers, then you should not be aiming for 1 pound a week but rather 1/2 a pound a week. So, eating 1200 (250 deficit) would do the trick.

You may want to go ahead and pick up some weight lifting and eat a small surplus for like half a year first before trying to lose fat, as given the numbers, it seems like it'd be tricky to always be on the nose with your calories.