Extra Gum

Options
Random question...do you track your calories when chewing gum? I keep a bunch of Extra Sugar-Free gum at work with me and usually have a couple pieces a day when I am craving a sweet...should I be tracking these calories?!?

Replies

• Val_from_OH
    Val_from_OH Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure it wasn't a couple of pieces of sugar-free gum that got you to your current weight :tongue: I personally wouldn't worry about it.
  • oStephhanie
    oStephhanie Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I thought about that too, and yeah, I think we should. All calories add up! Sometimes I forget to count butter when I cook (or butter spray)or other little things, like musatrd on a sandwich, or milk in your cereal- but it all adds up!
  • carl1738
    carl1738 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I really wouldn't worry about it. The calories in most gums are fairly low. If you were chomping on sugary bubble gum all day I might, but otherwise no.
  • ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure it wasn't a couple of pieces of sugar-free gum that got you to your current weight :tongue: I personally wouldn't worry about it.

This is true. It was not counting calories that did. :wink: I count them until I'm close to goal weight. Then I do not worry as much.
  • carrietobias
    Options
    If its only a couple a day. I personally would not worry about it. You could probably burn off the calories of a stick of gum walking down the hall at work. lol
  • mhayes13
    mhayes13 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I count them and allow myself 3 pieces a day which is 15 calories and 6 grams of carbs. The reason I started is that before I rationed my intake I estimate that I was chewing 8-10 pieces (40-50 calories) a day.
  • fizzyyumyum
    Options
    you burn 11 calories an hour chewing gum...so it would take less than 15mins chewin 2 burn tht off.....but chewing gum can also make you bloated and more hungry
  • qtwells82
    qtwells82 Posts: 352
    Options
    I heard you can burn 11-12 calories and hour while chewing gum...therefore not really absorbing any of the calories in the gum.

I normally dont log it in
  • jchecks
    jchecks Posts: 133
    Options
    thanks all!
  • Knbrooks42
    Knbrooks42 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I've never worried about counting the gum...the way I think about it is, if I spit it out when I'm done then it doesn't count lol. Sounds silly, but just my philosophy. Plus the calories and stuff in it are so minimal, I don't think it really matters.
  • YeaILift
    YeaILift Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I average anywhere from 5 - 15 pieces of <5 calorie gum a day. I never count it. I'm still losing weight.