BF %

Options
best method to figure out my BF%? I've heard of calipers... where can I get those and are they accurate? thanks

Replies

• usmcj80
    usmcj80 Posts: 58
    Options
    You can use those scales that read BF% and they have hand held monitors as well. The calipers can be accurate but you run into people not knowing how to use them properly and or miscalculations in the formulas used to get your totals. There are all kinds of high tech ways like ultra sonic mumbo jumbo, water displacement tests, etc, etc.... A good pair of calipers isn't that expensive and if you measure the same way every time and are good with your calculations you can get really close to what your body fat is. I would look on Amazon or even some of the bodybuilding type sites if you want a set of calipers but I am no expert myself and I am really just getting into using calipers. I have used those handheld monitors for a couple years now and used a scale with a monitor built in but they are sometimes inaccurate depending on what time of day you measure and your hydration levels and such.

The main point is you want to see a continual decrease in BF%, I am guessing, so any of the mentioned methods will work and they all have advantages and disadvantages and can easily be Googled for more information outside of me or any other posters.
  • allana1111
    allana1111 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    great info, thanks
  • Juliane_
    Juliane_ Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I use the Navy Method...
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    The wise master trainer at my MMA club has both calipers and hand helds, we used both for a few weeks to make sure we got an accurate reading. It was pretty consistent within a percent or two. I got an Aria (Fitbit) scale and it's dead on accurate. I recommend getting one. You can get just the scale... doesn't have to be with the Fitbit. Hope that helps :)
  • allana1111
    Options
    awesome! aria scale sounds easier than calipers
  • Rose6300
    Rose6300 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    The wise master trainer at my MMA club has both calipers and hand helds, we used both for a few weeks to make sure we got an accurate reading. It was pretty consistent within a percent or two. I got an Aria (Fitbit) scale and it's dead on accurate. I recommend getting one. You can get just the scale... doesn't have to be with the Fitbit. Hope that helps :)

I'm intrigued. Dead on accurate? Last time I had a BF scale (admittedly, eons ago), it was all over the place even when I was consistent with doing it post-shower with wet feet. This one's much better?
  • allana1111
    Options
    kinda pricy =/
  • jeepfit21
    jeepfit21 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Do a google search for Bod Pod locations. I've used the Bod Pod before at a local university, and judging from the reviews online, it seems to be a very accurate and less expensive alternative to the pricier methods. I've also tried the calipers and BIA scales, but find the Bod Pod to be the most consistent over multiple uses.
  • Rambo529
    Rambo529 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I've used both calipers (had a friend who's a trainer do it since there's a bunch of points to do and it's difficult to do alone) and a scale. The key is to do it the same (same method, same time when possible, same points, same helper, etc) each time. Also, I found doing it before a workout is more accurate than after a workout. Also, as mentioned before, depends on the formula used (if using calipers) as to what result you'll get.
  • ColoradoCountryGal
    Options
    Bumping this for later reference(:
  • Rogiefreida
    Rogiefreida Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Bod Pod or Dexa scan is the most accurate, but like PP posters have said, using less accurate methods (hand helds, scales) and measuring consistently and seeing a downward trend works too. I have heard that scales that measure body fat via bio-electrical impedance only measure the body fat in your lower half (cannot remember where I read this, I believe on BB.com), as the electrical current only travels up one leg and down the other so it's really only accurate for your lower half. Same theory goes for hand held devices (goes through one arm and out the other). Just something to keep in mind. All methods are guesses, so the important thing is to control variables (hydration, time of day, caliper spots, etc) and watch for a downward trend.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    My EatSmart Precision scale is right on with the Bodpod test I had done. It has a regular and an athletic setting, which makes a big difference.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    My EatSmart Precision scale is right on with the Bodpod test i had done. I used the scale for the first time an hour after I had the test done - I wanted an accurate base to work from because I had heard the scales were so off. It has a regular and an athletic setting, which makes a big difference.
  • gmthisfeller
    gmthisfeller Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    I've used both calipers (had a friend who's a trainer do it since there's a bunch of points to do and it's difficult to do alone) and a scale. The key is to do it the same (same method, same time when possible, same points, same helper, etc) each time. Also, I found doing it before a workout is more accurate than after a workout. Also, as mentioned before, depends on the formula used (if using calipers) as to what result you'll get.

+1

I attend the Sports Clinic here at Vanderbilt University, and they use a set of calipers, which I purchased at Amazon. The trainers then spent time helping me learn to use them *consistently*. The post I have quoted also reflects my experience.
  • sabrina19782014
    sabrina19782014 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    i have a pedometer that does BF % - seems pretty accurate from what I already knew -

(got it on amazon)
  • kill3rtofu
    kill3rtofu Posts: 169 Member
    Options
  • rikracer61
    rikracer61 Posts: 208
    Options
    There are hydrostatic body compostion testing mobile units. check with your local crossfit gym. This is THE stndard for BF% testing and only cost 40 -50 dollars to get tested. This is really the only accurate method available
  • jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Bod Pod or Dexa scan is the most accurate, but like PP posters have said, using less accurate methods (hand helds, scales) and measuring consistently and seeing a downward trend works too. I have heard that scales that measure body fat via bio-electrical impedance only measure the body fat in your lower half (cannot remember where I read this, I believe on BB.com), as the electrical current only travels up one leg and down the other so it's really only accurate for your lower half. Same theory goes for hand held devices (goes through one arm and out the other). Just something to keep in mind. All methods are guesses, so the important thing is to control variables (hydration, time of day, caliper spots, etc) and watch for a downward trend.

I was never sure if that was right, that the electronic scales measured only through the legs while the handhelds measured only through the arms, but it seemed to make sense, and it always kind of bothered me. Then I found a scale that measures from four points: through your hands and feet. It's more expensive than most scales, but still only about half the price of one of those Fitbit/ Aria scales:

http://www.amazon.com/Omron-HBF-514C-Composition-Sensing-Monitor/dp/B0020MMCDE/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1399657485&sr=8-10&keywords=body+fat+scale
  • wpwarrior88
    wpwarrior88 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    I purchased my Sequoia Fitness Products USA Warrior Digital Body Fat/Mass Caliper from Amazon. I have been pleased with the results and accuracy. Amazon offers several different styles, you should be able to find one that fits your needs/price range.
  • RyHollingsworth
    Options
    Fitbit Aria scale is cool but there's a couple of things to note that I have noticed.

Hydration level: when i first wakeup in the morning my fat percentage is much higher than it is later in the day. (around 19%) Later in the day it's been rating me at 14% (I'm actually 11%), which is still high but at least it's consistent. (The scale calculates BF% by sending an electrical pulse through your body and water affects conductivity....)

Regular Mode/ Lean Mode: There are two modes for this scale (probably others as well) I'm a fit guy lifting weights 3-4 days a week, in regular mode it thought I was 29%.

Calipers are considered the most accurate and consistent at home test if you know how to use them- and that can be the hard part.

Bod Pod or Water Displacement tests I hear are the best evaluation. Consistency is key for improving. Just keep checking at the same time with the same scale and all the same conditions to monitor progress.