new ideas for veggies for the summer

Options
Dosiedoe
Dosiedoe Posts: 14 Member
I need new ideas for veggies for the summer to go with BBQ, hot dogs, BLTs, etc. I don't want to use my oven. I like to grill and make things. Recipes would be helpful, and pictures too if you have them. I'm tired of the old potato salad and coleslaw. I would like to dress those up with new recipes, or get some new ideas on some other things. Thanks!

Replies

• Izanami66
    Izanami66 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    One thing I like to do is make veggie kabobs or skewers. I cut up different veggies into one inch cubes, and thread them onto skewers. You can throw them on with your burgers or hot dogs and maybe baste them with some marinade (or just olive oil, salt, and pepper) and viola, grilled veggies! Some of my favorites are, colorful bell peppers, onions, squash, zucchini, mushrooms, etc. Just about anything. I also love to add pineapple chunks for a bit of sweetness and contrast.

You can also do potato salad or coleslaw, but find ways to change or lighten it up. I got an e-mail from Panera with a recipe for sriracha coleslaw, so if you like spicy, that might be a way to change it up. Get creative! I'd love to hear more ideas, too, because I tend to get in a veggie rut and can always use more variety and new ideas.
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I need new ideas for veggies for the summer to go with BBQ, hot dogs, BLTs, etc. I don't want to use my oven. I like to grill and make things. Recipes would be helpful, and pictures too if you have them. I'm tired of the old potato salad and coleslaw. I would like to dress those up with new recipes, or get some new ideas on some other things. Thanks!
    Chop up a number of diff veggies, marinate maybe in some italian dressing, and put into tinfoil andplace on the grill as you cook the rest of your food.
    Sometimes it takes a little longer so you may want to start it before the rest of the food.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

Asian Broccoli Slaw: http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/broccoli-slaw-with-oranges-50400000107429/
    A cheater version....use Newman's Sesame Ginger dressing (nice kick)

Jicama Salad: http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/jicama-salad-10000000222035/

Sweet & sour slaw is a nice change from mayo slaw

Grilled asparagus is yummy....soy sauce is a good seasoning