Gluten Free

Options
I am looking for good new fresh recipes that are gluten free. I have Celiac Disease and can't have gluten, wheat, barley, or rye. Anyone have any to share.

Replies

• lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Check out this website:

http://www.elanaspantry.com/

I love her recipes. I've tried lots of them...and not a bad one yet.
  • tammietifanie
    tammietifanie Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    Gluten-Free Chili
    Ingredients

•12 oz. ground meat (I used turkey sausage)
    •1 small onion, chopped
    •2 cloves garlic, minced
    •1 can small red beans
    •1 can diced tomatoes
    •2 Tb. tomato paste
    •1/2 Tb. chili powder
    •1 tsp. cumin
    •cheddar cheese, shredded (optional)
    Instructions
    Cook the meat and onion in a skillet until the meat is done. Add the garlic and sauté a couple of minutes. Combine all the ingredients in a pot and simmer about 30 minutes. You can leave it uncovered if you want some liquid to evaporate. You can also cook this in the crock pot on high for 3 hours or low for 6 – 8 hours.

Spoon into serving bowls and top with cheese if desired.
  • BOGmama2010
    BOGmama2010 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    The lady who did 365 days of crockpot cooking on her blog is gluten free too and she tried to make it pretty healthy. Google 365 days crockpot and it will come up. :) I, too, am gluten free right now (I don't have celiacs but am sensitive to wheat) but am relying more on fresh fruits and veggies to get my carbs.
  • AislynneRobot
    AislynneRobot Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    OOO I am Glutan free and am experimenting with lots of gluten free stuff. There are many options out there and so many web sites. Just type in Glutan free weightloss recipes and see what happens!~
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • smilestb99
    Options
    I am gluten intolerant and also have a dairy sensitivity. There are so many substitutions you can use for normal things that you love. For a healthy bread- try Ezekiel. It is kept in the freezer section. It is made of sprouted grains- there are many choices of different kinds of bread, bagels, english muffins, buns, etc. I was hesistant at first because it has some of the same grains we aren't supposed to have, but my naturopathic doctor told me that because they are sprouted they are okay. Not only is it healthy, but it's one of the only breads packed with protein. One bagel has about 13g of protein. For other grains you can have brown rice, quinoa (also one of the few grains that has protein), ammaranth, millet, etc. I like to use brown rice flour in a lot of recipes in place of regular flour. There is also corn-quinoa pasta that is really good. Also, brown rice pasta. There are so many substitutions for things now, because the word is starting to get out about how common of a problem Celiac Disease, gluten intolerance, and other wheat allergies, etc. is.
    Are there any particular foods or recipes you are wondering about? Between my mom and I (she is also gluten intolerant and has been off gluten for 9 years), we have made several different things.
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    We have a whole gluten-free group here on MFP... we've been sharing stories, recipes, and our thoughts on various foods/products for a while now... come join us! :flowerforyou:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/114512-gluten-free-girls-and-guys?page=10#posts-1981279
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    I am gluten intolerant and also have a dairy sensitivity. There are so many substitutions you can use for normal things that you love. For a healthy bread- try Ezekiel. It is kept in the freezer section. It is made of sprouted grains- there are many choices of different kinds of bread, bagels, english muffins, buns, etc. I was hesistant at first because it has some of the same grains we aren't supposed to have, but my naturopathic doctor told me that because they are sprouted they are okay. Not only is it healthy, but it's one of the only breads packed with protein. One bagel has about 13g of protein. For other grains you can have brown rice, quinoa (also one of the few grains that has protein), ammaranth, millet, etc. I like to use brown rice flour in a lot of recipes in place of regular flour. There is also corn-quinoa pasta that is really good. Also, brown rice pasta. There are so many substitutions for things now, because the word is starting to get out about how common of a problem Celiac Disease, gluten intolerance, and other wheat allergies, etc. is.
    Are there any particular foods or recipes you are wondering about? Between my mom and I (she is also gluten intolerant and has been off gluten for 9 years), we have made several different things.

Ezekiel Bread is made of grains...not for celiacs. Gluten intolerance is a dramatically different condition from an actual celiac. Just FYI.
  • smilestb99
    Options
    My apologies for giving you misinformation (and on my first ever post, go figure). It is sad when your local health food store even misguides you- that's who told me it was okay for people with Celiac Disease to eat Ezekiel bread. I apparently failed with this information, although Here's my reprieve- Food for life is the company who makes the bread I eat. Here are some ACTUAL gluten free options that you might enjoy.

http://www.foodforlife.com/gluten-free-wheat-free-breads.html

Sorry again for misguiding you, it's the only thing I eat that you probably couldn't have. haha Thanks viviakay for correcting me. The other grains I mentioned- quinoa, ammaranth, millet, brown rice- you can have those. It's the wheat, rye, barley, and oats you can't have. There is gluten free oatmeal though.
  • Tkhk0514
    Tkhk0514 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I am looking for good new fresh recipes that are gluten free. I have Celiac Disease and can't have gluten, wheat, barley, or rye. Anyone have any to share.

Can you have oats? I just tried a protein pancake I found in this forum made with oatmeat, egg white and cottage cheese. They were a bit of a diff taste than a regular pancake but very good nonetheless. I do not have gluten allergies but my sons girlfriend does so I am always on the look up. Actually most of my cookie baking that I did this year was gluten free. And, I dont think anyone ever could tell.