Low sugar/ high fiber breakfast ideas, please~!

Options
ka_42
ka_42 Posts: 720 Member
I love luna bars and I've been eating a luna bar and 3/4 cup kashi honey sunshine every day for breakfast for a LONG time. Recently luna bars became less available and more expensive in my area. They also have 13 grams of sugar. I'd really like to lower my sugar intake but it seem so difficult. I go over on sugar nearly every day. I'm looking for suggestions preferably high in fiber, also. My usual breakfast has 9 grams. Sometimes I replace my luna bar with a banana which still has 14 grams of sugar and little fiber. What are some fruits with low sugar? Any quick and easy suggestions? Thanks very much for your help!

Replies

• quara
    quara Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Lately I have been eating Shredded Wheat and Bran, which has 0 sugar and 4 g (I think) of fibre in 2/3 cup. I love All Bran Buds for their fibre, but they're high in sugar too! But the Shredded wheat is a little tasteless on it's own... I like to mix it in with corn flakes or something else!
  • micah2009
    micah2009 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    strawberries are not as high in sugar
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Fruits that are lower sugar: berries, apples aren't too bad either.

Luna bars I personally think are evil. You can definitely find better bars in the morning. I go more for the protein bar than the meal replacement ones. Like I get Detour bars right now (mainly since they have no wheat in them). But look around in that area.

Kashi has some great cereal that is high protein and high fiber, that isn't as sugary as the honey sunshine. I forgot what it's called at the moment, but one of em has like 30g of protein and 15g fiber. I loved it when I was eating wheat.

And just another thing, remember, breakfast doesn't have to be typical breakfast fare. You can eat whatever. So if you want some spinach and a hard boiled egg, nothing says that can't be breakfast. :)
  • traceysturn
    Options
    I have lower sugar/high fiber Quaker Oatmeal(maple brown suger) w/ a tsp of peanut butter for some extra protien. Keeps me easily full til lunch & yummy!
  • ka_42
    Options
    You're right, Jessy. Luna bars are evil-- and addictive. I love the chocolate peppermint stick flavor. I'd eat only those all day if I could! lol! Thanks for the suggestions! I'm going to check out more high fiber kashi - it's the price that gets me. I'm trying to cut down on spending and at my local stores the Kashi is $5 a box. (it's cheaper at wal mart but I kind of hate wal mart) If I ate two servings a day I'd finish the box in less than a week. The honey sunshine isn't too bad as for sugar I just want something more to go along with it. I enjoy it dry. I don't drink much milk these days.
  • bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I eat quick oats ( the plain from the tub kind) and I add 1/2 tsp of sugar (2 grams) and 1/4 tsp of vanilla. It comes up to 160 calories, 4 g fiber, 3 g sugar (with the oats and vanilla total), and 5 grams protein. It's pretty tasty, too.
  • ka_42
    Options
    I eat quick oats ( the plain from the tub kind) and I add 1/2 tsp of sugar (2 grams) and 1/4 tsp of vanilla. It comes up to 160 calories, 4 g fiber, 3 g sugar (with the oats and vanilla total), and 5 grams protein. It's pretty tasty, too.

Thanks, great suggestion. Good idea to add the vanilla to your oatmeal.. I haven't tried that. Cute doggies, by the way :)
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    You're right, Jessy. Luna bars are evil-- and addictive. I love the chocolate peppermint stick flavor. I'd eat only those all day if I could! lol! Thanks for the suggestions! I'm going to check out more high fiber kashi - it's the price that gets me. I'm trying to cut down on spending and at my local stores the Kashi is $5 a box. (it's cheaper at wal mart but I kind of hate wal mart) If I ate two servings a day I'd finish the box in less than a week. The honey sunshine isn't too bad as for sugar I just want something more to go along with it. I enjoy it dry. I don't drink much milk these days.

Evil Luna! hahah I was addicted to the lemon ones back in college.

Can you up your protein? That tends to stick with you longer so you won't need as much.

If you are trying to cut down on costs, see what you can buy in bulk and cook yourself. I know cereal is $$$$! But, the Luna bars are what? $2 a bar? Like if you can find a grocery store that sells things in the serve your self bulk. You could make a pot of oatmeal or another grain on the weekend and put it in tubs for during the week - just pull out of freezer. (Steel cut oats of course, they're better than the rolled Quaker packet style oatmeal) hmmmm And if you can find a decent farmer's market you can get fruit n stuff cheap too. But that's another topic, so if you want some of those local goodie suggestions, feel free to pm me and I'll give you some resources. :)