Eating back exercise calories?

Options
2»

Replies

• Halziees
    Halziees Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    It amazes me that everyday this question is posted. A simple search would give you your answer in a few minutes as to why you really should eat them back. And, whenever you see people starting their post with, "IMO, ...", you can pretty much ignore, because it's followed with, "I don't eat them back because..." Followed by ridiculous reason with zero regard for how MFP is set up for you to lose weight.

Yes, for Pete's sake, eat them back. I'm not going to say why because a search would provide you with over 3 years of answers daily on this question.

Thank you for your input, but I have to say, if these questions bother you so much… then don't look, and don't answer them. I highly doubt my question on this board interfered so greatly with your life that you had to post a rude reply. I prefaced my question with how I know this debate happens a lot. I also stated I was looking for targeted advice -- which is why I would presume MOST people ask this question again and again.

Some of us need advice & guidance. That's what these forums are for. They're also for support, which being rude does not provide.
  • Halziees
    Halziees Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    It amazes me that everyday this question is posted. A simple search would give you your answer in a few minutes as to why you really should eat them back. And, whenever you see people starting their post with, "IMO, ...", you can pretty much ignore, because it's followed with, "I don't eat them back because..." Followed by ridiculous reason with zero regard for how MFP is set up for you to lose weight.

Yes, for Pete's sake, eat them back. I'm not going to say why because a search would provide you with over 3 years of answers daily on this question.

Thank you for your input, but I have to say, if these questions bother you so much… then don't look, and don't answer them. I highly doubt my question on this board interfered so greatly with your life that you had to post a rude reply. I prefaced my question with how I know this debate happens a lot. I also stated I was looking for targeted advice -- which is why I would presume MOST people ask this question again and again.

Some of us need advice & guidance. That's what these forums are for. They're also for support, which being rude does not provide.

A simple search would have saved you more time than typing a reply to explain how my reply was perceived by you as rude. Next time, SEARCH first.

as I already explained, in my original post, I DID search first. I was looking for targeted advice, which only you have a problem with, it seems.
    I'll choose to save us both some time now, as I won't be responding any further to you.
  • looseseal
    looseseal Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Well, I don't know. The scale was stuck for me for the past 2+ weeks ... it simply would. not. budge. I was on-plan, I was exercising, eating right, eating back about 75% of my exercise cals. A couple of days ago I looked at my average cal intake and exercise burn. MFP has my bmr at 1330. I was eating, on average, 1580 cals/day and burning 290 via exercise. Again, the scale would not budge, not up not down, nothing. Two days ago I stopped eating back so much, hitting 1400 cals/day instead. Finally dropped a lb.

Maybe I'm just dense but .... I don't get the "eating back today's burned cals to fuel tomorrow's workout". Aren't the cals you consume today fueling today's workout and the cals you consume tomorrow fueling tomorrow's workout?

I've posted this in other threads, the whole "net cal" thing just confuses me. I seem to be able to lose weight if I stick within a certain small range of cals rather than eating back what I've burned. I have my food deficit set to lose 1 lb/wk and any cals burned on top of that via exercise might bump that to 1 1/4, which is all I want to lose in any given week. Also, I view the exercise cals as a "buffer" to keep me in that 1 lb/wk range, in case I do eat more, Oh, does that make any sense? lol It does to me.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Well, I don't know. The scale was stuck for me for the past 2+ weeks ... it simply would. not. budge. I was on-plan, I was exercising, eating right, eating back about 75% of my exercise cals. A couple of days ago I looked at my average cal intake and exercise burn. MFP has my bmr at 1330. I was eating, on average, 1580 cals/day and burning 290 via exercise. Again, the scale would not budge, not up not down, nothing. Two days ago I stopped eating back so much, hitting 1400 cals/day instead. Finally dropped a lb.

Maybe I'm just dense but .... I don't get the "eating back today's burned cals to fuel tomorrow's workout". Aren't the cals you consume today fueling today's workout and the cals you consume tomorrow fueling tomorrow's workout?

I've posted this in other threads, the whole "net cal" thing just confuses me. I seem to be able to lose weight if I stick within a certain small range of cals rather than eating back what I've burned. I have my food deficit set to lose 1 lb/wk and any cals burned on top of that via exercise might bump that to 1 1/4, which is all I want to lose in any given week. Also, I view the exercise cals as a "buffer" to keep me in that 1 lb/wk range, in case I do eat more, Oh, does that make any sense? lol It does to me.

First, the calories MFP gives you is not "BMR". MFP gives you BMR based on your age, height, weight PLUS a bit more for every day activity (but not exercise). So, nevermind this BMR name.

As GuitarJerry said, once it calculates your needs for everyday life, it then subtracts a flat rate depending on how many pounds per week you say you want to lose. Since you have it set to 1 pound/week, then it is subtracting 500 from your daily needs (not including exercise).

So, here is some math

1330 (the amount MFP says to eat)
    -290 (the amount of burn for exercise)
    +290 (the amount more you eat for that fuel)
    =1330 NET

All together, with the above, you would eat 1620. However, if you think that exercise calculation is off, eat a little less.

According to these numbers, your TDEE would be 2120. (1330 MFP calories +290 exercise calories +500 deficit MFP gave to lose 1 pound per week).

If your TDEE is 2120, and you are eating 1330 - 290 = 1040 (net calories), then your calorie deficit is over 1,000. This is way too steep unless you have more than 75 pounds to lose.

If you are truly measuring food correctly, you should be losing 1 pound per week at about 1600 total calories. I think if you consistently eat between 1400-1600 you will see progress.
  • looseseal
    Options

First, the calories MFP gives you is not "BMR". MFP gives you BMR based on your age, height, weight PLUS a bit more for every day activity (but not exercise). So, nevermind this BMR name.

As GuitarJerry said, once it calculates your needs for everyday life, it then subtracts a flat rate depending on how many pounds per week you say you want to lose. Since you have it set to 1 pound/week, then it is subtracting 500 from your daily needs (not including exercise).

So, here is some math

=1330 NET

All together, with the above, you would eat 1620. However, if you think that exercise calculation is off, eat a little less.

According to these numbers, your TDEE would be 2120. (1330 MFP calories +290 exercise calories +500 deficit MFP gave to lose 1 pound per week).

If your TDEE is 2120, and you are eating 1330 - 290 = 1040 (net calories), then your calorie deficit is over 1,000. This is way too steep unless you have more than 75 pounds to lose.

If you are truly measuring food correctly, you should be losing 1 pound per week at about 1600 total calories. I think if you consistently eat between 1400-1600 you will see progress.

According to IIFYM , my TDEE is 1913, bmr is 1308, MFP says eat 1330 per day.

All I know is over a little over 2 wk period I was weighing/measuring all my food, averaging 1580 cals per day, averaging 290 exercise burn per day and the damn scale did not budge. At all. Not up, not down, no wiggle. Yes, it should have but it didn't. I cut back to 1480 (1209 net cals) Wed, 1424 (992 net cals) Thurs and the scale was down a solid lb this morning. It seems my body will let go of weight if I eat at the lower end of 1400-1600. Thx for the info/feedback, appreciate it.
  • looseseal
    Options

MFP already has a built in calorie deficit. So, if you chose to lose .5 lbs, it has decreased you calorie allowance by 250 calories a day. If you chose to lose 1 lb per week, MFP takes away 500 calories per day. So forth and so on. So, there is already a calorie deficit. Now, let's say you chose the maximum, because everyone does that at first.

Not everyone. I've never, ever expected to lose more than 1lb/wk because it's so hard to do. If I set myself to expect that I WILL fall short and be disappointed. I go the opposite route ... aim for 1 lb/wk and if I lose ANYTHING more than that? Icing on the cake!
    So, you choose to lose 2 lbs per week. So, MFP takes away 1,000 calories per day so you can lose 2 lbs per week. So, if to maintain your weight, you would eat 3,000 calories, MFP would give you 2,000 per day. Ignore BMR. It is not important. People will argue that it is, but it is not normally relevant here. So, now you're eating at a 1000 calorie deficit everyday to lose 2 lbs per week, and you start exercising. Let's say you burn 500 calories with your exercise. Now, you will lose 2.5 lbs. because you already have the 1,000 that MFP gave you, and you created an additional 500 with exercise. In order to keep yourself in the range you wanted, you need to eat the 500 calories back so you maintain a healthy deficit of 1,000. Does that make sense?

It does ... to a degree. I'm eating at a 500 calorie (food) deficit per day because my goal is 1 lb/wk. If I burn an extra 300 cals/day exercising, now I'm at an 800 cal deficit ... which would give me another 1/4 lb or so loss per wk. So I don't want to eat those exercise cals back ... certainly not all of them, half of them at most.
    Now, why not eating back your calories helped you?

There are more reasons than I can list. But, many people on here do not log their food accurately. Many people don't weigh every single thing that goes in their mouth. Many people wing it. Some people just eyeball. That's fine, just understand that if you aren't losing, and you aren't measuring, eating back your exercise isn't the problem. Your accuracy is the issue.

Am as accurate as I can be with my food. Weigh/measure and if I have to estimate something for whatever reason, I estimate high.
    Another thing, how many calories burned for exercise. Often, there is quite a bit of over estimating going on here. And HRMs are not any more accurate than anything else.

I use the readings from the treadmill and my pedometer, various on-line sources/cal counters to get a good idea of how much I've burned .... then low ball that number.
    Lastly, I'll add that just because you type some info about yourself into a website and it spits out a number, doesn't mean it's right. You may have to make adjustments to that number. The absolute best thing anyone can do for themselves is find there TDEE. this stand for Total Daily Energy Expenditure. I know everyone wants to lose weight. But, if you can find the exact amount of calories where you maintain, this is powerful information. Let's say you find that you can eat 2500 calories, including exercise and you neither lose nor gain, congrats. You've now found your maintenance. Ther reason this is powerful is because you've taken all the guess work out if how to lose, gain, or maintain your weight. If you want to lose, drop it to 2,000 for a 1 lb loss per week. Now, you no longer care what an individual exercise burns. It doesn't even matter to you. You're just monitoring the result in your weekly loss. Keep in mind, as you lose weight, the numbers change, so you have to keep making small adjustments as you go. But, it's easy.

Which brings me to the mythical "plateau". Plateaus are simply energy in = energy out. Hmmmmm. Kind of sounds like maintenance doesn't it? When you hit a plateau, and you will, everyone does, you have to drop calories, increase the frequency of exercise, the intensity of exercise or both, or some combination of all those things.

So, yes, you eat your exercise calories back. But, also, keep in mind that there are many other factors to consider, like are you weighing ALL YOUR FOOD, are you being honest, are you calculating exercise reasonably, etc?

I hope this helps. I wish I could sticky note this stuff. I may write a blog post about all of this and then link it for reference in the future. It's not as difficult or complicated as people make it.

Thanks for all this info/feedback, GJ. I truly appreciate it!
  • deksgrl
    Options

So, here is some math

=1330 NET

All I know is over a little over 2 wk period I was weighing/measuring all my food, averaging 1580 cals per day, averaging 290 exercise burn per day and the damn scale did not budge. At all. Not up, not down, no wiggle. Yes, it should have but it didn't. I cut back to 1480 (1209 net cals) Wed, 1424 (992 net cals) Thurs and the scale was down a solid lb this morning. It seems my body will let go of weight if I eat at the lower end of 1400-1600. Thx for the info/feedback, appreciate it.

So then the above probably reflects an inflated calorie burn, especially if the average 290 exercise burn is coming from the MFP app.

Also, I wonder if you chose the correct activity level when using the TDEE calculator. Did you choose "sedentary"? It sounds like you do at least "light exercise".
  • looseseal
    Options

So, here is some math

=1330 NET

So then the above probably reflects an inflated calorie burn, especially if the average 290 exercise burn is coming from the MFP app.

Also, I wonder if you chose the correct activity level when using the TDEE calculator. Did you choose "sedentary"? It sounds like you do at least "light exercise".

I use my treadmill, pedometer app, various on-line sources/calculators to get the best number I can for exercise, then I low ball it.

I put in "5 times/week" for my exercise on the TDEE site.

Would not drinking enough water for 9 out of the 16 days I was stalled make the difference? I got a sinus infection and could not get the water down for about 9 days. Got back up to 64oz last Thurs or Fri (a week ago).
  • deksgrl
    Options

So, here is some math

=1330 NET

I use my treadmill, pedometer app, various on-line sources/calculators to get the best number I can for exercise, then I low ball it.

I put in "5 times/week" for my exercise on the TDEE site.

Would not drinking enough water for 9 out of the 16 days I was stalled make the difference? I got a sinus infection and could not get the water down for about 9 days. Got back up to 64oz last Thurs or Fri (a week ago).

Lack of water probably wouldn't cause lack of weight loss, however, not drinking enough could have resulted in hanging on to water weight which can mask any weight loss. i.e. you may have lost some real weight but if you were retaining water, this made it so it did not show on the scale.
  • kdotie
    kdotie Posts: 4
    Options
    I have asked my doctor and nutritionist the same thing.. they told me that typically the rule of thumb is if you burn over 400 calories, you can eat half of those back if you find yourself being hungry. so if you burn an average of 500 calories, you should go ahead and eat 250 of those back to avoid hunger.. they also told me to plan out my calories and protein better throughout the day..

**as for the person complaining that you asked this question, that's a bit silly. MOST all of these questions on this forum can be searched on google.. if that were the case, then no one would be asking questions at all and only search.. i think sometimes people like to hear others experience on the topics. and i agree, they should probably not click on the topic if it bothers them that much, unnecessary anger there..
  • looseseal
    Options
    I have asked my doctor and nutritionist the same thing.. they told me that typically the rule of thumb is if you burn over 400 calories, you can eat half of those back if you find yourself being hungry. so if you burn an average of 500 calories, you should go ahead and eat 250 of those back to avoid hunger.. they also told me to plan out my calories and protein better throughout the day..

**as for the person complaining that you asked this question, that's a bit silly. MOST all of these questions on this forum can be searched on google.. if that were the case, then no one would be asking questions at all and only search.. i think sometimes people like to hear others experience on the topics. and i agree, they should probably not click on the topic if it bothers them that much, unnecessary anger there..

Did you explain to your nutritionist how MFP works?

the rule of thumb doesn't really answer the correct question. Your nutritionist is answering, if I'm eating normally, and burn 400 calories in exercise, should I eat those calories? the answer is no.

I am the one who said to do search. Since this is an everyday question, yes, one should search. I don't understand why it is rude to tell someone that is new that this is asked all the time and a search would answer the question.

If people used search, they would find most of their answers. In fact, you're right, you can probably find every answer on Google. So, no need for this silly place.

I have not found this place to be silly enough. Of course, I'm new.

I say everyone should be sillier.

9098111_orig.gif