Nighttime leg cramp

Options
I go through bouts of awful leg cramp, usually when increase my exercise. But I don't get cramp during, or immediately after exercise, it's a night. I lie down and my calves seize up, I even get it in my feet. Anyone else get this? Or know what I could do to help?

Replies

• hermann341
    hermann341 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Try adding potassium to your diet?
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    potassium and water.
  • pmhandlo11
    pmhandlo11 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    might need electrolites
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Might be electrolytes. But usually just means you are dehydrated. Try drinking some water before bed.
  • Ferrea
    Ferrea Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I was having this issue too (started around the time I started running), and I found that doing a really good calf stretch when I'm done running helped a lot. Though the cramps may have also subsided due to my calves getting more fit.
  • Pectinbean
    Pectinbean Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Thanks folks, I will give all of the above a try. I drink a lot of water, is it possible to flush potassium out with too much? That sounds quite dumb but I thought I'd ask.

Stretching brings on cramps, maybe it is my poor fitness levels!
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Eric_DeCastro Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    i'll echo the water thing. but after a really long run (6-9 miles) I'll make sure to stretch out after the run and I wear compression sleeves on my calves even to sleep.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Thanks folks, I will give all of the above a try. I drink a lot of water, is it possible to flush potassium out with too much? That sounds quite dumb but I thought I'd ask.

Actually, yes, if you over-hydrate you can deplete your electrolyte levels.
  • purplehat81
    purplehat81 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I use to get horrible leg cramps in the middle of the night. I would even eat a banana a couple hrs before bed in hopes it would help and it didn't. After much research I found that it actually was a magnesium deficiency. Turns out if you don't have enough magnesium in your system your body won't absorb (use) the potassium you are ingesting. Also cut out anything that would deplete your body i.e. diet soda. Hope this helps!
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Try stretching your calves & feet *hourly*. Tight muscles restrict the flow of blood and electrolytes within muscles, which can cause cramping. It happens at night in the extremities because blood flow is reduced then.

Calf stretch -
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSzCfi0wbcA

Foot stretch -
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEintoiiqSg
  • Firehawk734
    Firehawk734 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    For me it is not stretching or electrolytes. I am dehydrated when this happens. Make sure you drink more water.
  • Pectinbean
    Options

Actually, yes, if you over-hydrate you can deplete your electrolyte levels.

Yay, no such thing as a dumb question then! Ta.
  • Pectinbean
    Options
    I use to get horrible leg cramps in the middle of the night. I would even eat a banana a couple hrs before bed in hopes it would help and it didn't. After much research I found that it actually was a magnesium deficiency. Turns out if you don't have enough magnesium in your system your body won't absorb (use) the potassium you are ingesting. Also cut out anything that would deplete your body i.e. diet soda. Hope this helps!

How did you find out it was a magnesium deficiency, if you don't mind me asking? I think maybe I need to do a bit more research.
  • Pectinbean
    Options
    Try stretching your calves & feet *hourly*. Tight muscles restrict the flow of blood and electrolytes within muscles, which can cause cramping. It happens at night in the extremities because blood flow is reduced then.

Calf stretch -
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSzCfi0wbcA

Foot stretch -
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEintoiiqSg

Ah, ok I'll try these, thanks!
  • jeanywren
    jeanywren Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I used to be in extreme pain from leg cramps. Nothing seemed to work. Finally a Dr. told me to try quinine capsules. Apparently they have since found out that is not as innocent a pill as previously thought. However, it worked for me much to my relief!! When I got sick four years ago and went on blood thinners, the Dr. at the time told me no more quinine. After panicking , I later discovered that if I drink lots of water, the cramps are not a problem. The days that I do get some, although never as severe, I know that I was perhaps lacking on the water intake. Works for me!!
  • Squishy66
    Squishy66 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    You're not taking any statins or drugs for high cholesterol are you? I've been on statins for quite a few years (hereditary condition, nothing to do with diet) and they give me nighttime cramps, mostly in my calf muscles. Very painful and sometimes the tightness lasts for days.
  • Pectinbean
    Options
    You're not taking any statins or drugs for high cholesterol are you? I've been on statins for quite a few years (hereditary condition, nothing to do with diet) and they give me nighttime cramps, mostly in my calf muscles. Very painful and sometimes the tightness lasts for days.

No, the only medication I'm on is inhalers for asthma. The cramps got so bad my doctor did some tests to check kidney function, but everything's a-ok. There wasn't much of a follow up after that!

I drink litres of water a day because my office air con really dries out my throat. I've started using an electrolyte and magnesium soluble pill / drink. Seems to be working so far although I've not been running as much recently. I'm definitely going try stretching as I've always been pretty lazy with warm downs.