Walking vs. Jogging

Options
Sorry if this was addressed in the past and I missed it (I just signed up today!). I read recently that you burn the same amount of calories walking or running the same distance. Is this true? I've alway assumed that jogging would burn more calories?? Anyone have some insight into this?

Replies

• championnfl
    championnfl Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Your still walking/running the same distance,so makes sense! But jogging hopefully your raising your Heart Rate which in turn will burn more cals in the long run.:wink: Google burning cals or exercising and HR!
  • quara
    quara Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I don't know all the details, and I don't think it burns exactly the same amount, but generally walking 5 miles will take a lot longer than jogging them, so you're working out for a longer period of time, which helps. If you want to work out for 30 minutes, you're better off jogging for 30 mins than walking, but if you've got to go a certain distance, it's not bad to walk it.... just make sure it's a brisk walk, preferably with hills, to get a similar calorie burn. But your workouts will last longer! :) I walk a ton and I think it's great!
  • Leannek74
    Leannek74 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I've heard the same thing... it's just that the jogging gets done faster!
  • debwilson
    debwilson Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    No jogging burns more calories. If you go to "exercise and look on the calories you can burn you would burn less calories walking 3mph for 60 minutes than if you ran 4mph for 60 minutes.

If you are thinking about jogging/running and are out of shape I would strongly suggest you check out Couch to 5K!!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Low intensity workouts, like walking, burn fewer calories than high intensity workouts, like running. However, the percentage of fat calories burned is higher in low intensity workouts. But, since high intensity workouts burn more overall calories, it ends up being a more efficient workout.
  • murf19
    murf19 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Latest and greatest are Intervals. You run as fast as you can for 30 -45 seconds, slow to a walk or jog for 2 minutes then do it all over again. for up to 30 minutes. There are all diff types of workouts for this. I do intervals once a week. Between fast run and slow jog, I ave a little over 3 miles in 27 minutes, but I'm sweating my butt of for some time after.
  • jschneider
    jschneider Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    When comparing distance ..yes the calories burned are similar ...but it will just take longer to do it if you walk verses jog
  • Nadine32
    Nadine32 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi I recently started running and I can assure you that I burn at least double the amount of calories. I used to walk with wrist weights on but jogging burns more faster