Body Fat percentage

Options
meledo85
meledo85 Posts: 27 Member
I have been working out for the last 10 weeks doing fasted cardio for at least an hour each morning 5-6 times a week. Long story short I'm losing weight, but my body fat percentage is not moving. I eat balanced meals every three hours and drink a gallon of water a day. Does anyone have any suggestions to help me beat my body fat percentage?

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    are you resistance training?
    are you eating under maintenance?
    are you actually losing weight?
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,300 Member
    Options
    I think it will happen. You are shrinking so it is the same proportion of the smaller you. Try looking at your BMI. In theory it takes height and weight into account.

All the best, hang on in there
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    how are you measuring your BF%

they are not the most accurate tests unless your going and getting a hydrostatic weight test

it could be that your % is going down and its variables other then BF% that effect the test which are making it appear as though its not going down.
  • GracieShaw18
    GracieShaw18 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello meledo85,

You need to add resistance training and weights to your workouts. Running (cardio) will give you stamina, but may not build muscle in the places of your body you need it most (core, glutes etc.) You have been doing fasted cardio for a while now, so I think your body needs a change. Try a different workout like a 10-50, and make sure your hitting your protein requirements and adding weights to your workout :)

Try doing one set of the below. Do them right after eachother if you can, rest for 3 minutes then try for another set. You can always change up the exercises if you want. If you hate push-ups for example, do 20 pull-downs.

10 minute run
    20 push-ups
    30 lunges
    40 squats
    50 crunches

Good luck! :)
  • meledo85
    Options
    No resistance just cardio and yes I have been losing weight
  • meledo85
    Options
    Thank you I will give this a try tomorrow at the gym
  • meledo85
    Options
    I think it will happen. You are shrinking so it is the same proportion of the smaller you. Try looking at your BMI. In theory it takes height and weight into account.

All the best, hang on in there

Thank I will keep my BMI in mind
  • Tanya949
    Tanya949 Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I weigh in on a Tanita scale at physio. When I started my BF was 48.7%, now 40lbs lighter, my BF is 43.7%. That's 5%... but I have lost over 15 inches. I go for months before it finally drops, but my weight is dropping every week. The body has its way of adjusting and does it at its own pace.
  • NoVatheNinja
    NoVatheNinja Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Like some of the other members said, it is really important that you do resistance training. One pound of muscle burns 50 calories. Once you start doing that, your BF% will go down and you will be more defined. I suggest doing compound exercises when doing resistance training.
  • meledo85
    Options
    I weigh in on a Tanita scale at physio. When I started my BF was 48.7%, now 40lbs lighter, my BF is 43.7%. That's 5%... but I have lost over 15 inches. I go for months before it finally drops, but my weight is dropping every week. The body has its way of adjusting and does it at its own pace.

Thank you, wow great job with the weight loss. I just get frustrated that it hasn't moved, but I will keep going
  • ruthejp13
    ruthejp13 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    You need to eat protein to build muscle. You could be losing weight now but some of that could be muscle making your body fat % the same.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    No resistance just cardio and yes I have been losing weight

Then look into adding resistance/strength training into your routine.

ETA: This poster just created this thread that might help you see what strength training can do for your body composition. There are many similar threads like this as well in the success area :)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1283044-135-vs-135-4-size-difference
  • meledo85
    Options
    Thank you to everyone for your comments I will start doing some resistance training. :smile: