Do you limit your carb intake? If so, what is a good limit?

Options
I feel like I may be eating too many carbs! Although I'm still 700 calories under my calorie goal so far, I've already eaten 180 carbs. I had cereal and banana for breakfast with skim milk. A turkey sandwich on whole wheat, and a banana with peanut butter, and when I got home I had some bran with skim milk. Is this a problem? I also ran a mile and a half today!

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I feel like I may be eating too many carbs! Although I'm still 700 calories under my calorie goal so far, I've already eaten 180 carbs. I had cereal and banana for breakfast with skim milk. A turkey sandwich on whole wheat, and a banana with peanut butter, and when I got home I had some bran with skim milk. Is this a problem? I also ran a mile and a half today!

Are you getting enough protein?

I don't limit my carbs (no medical issues) .....but I do try to focus on protein numbers first.
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    It's not a problem for weight loss, but you might not be getting some vitamins and minerals you need. Check out some of the reports in MFP; they can be really helpful to see if you're getting what you need.

My personal rule for starchy carbs is to eat them only when it counts. For example, Wonderbread is a NO, but I'd be all over a slice of warm homemade bread. I typically eat about 75 a day and that includes 25 grams of fiber. Most of my meals are vegetables and protein and a good dose of fat and I find it much easier to keep within my calorie goal. It's certainly not for everyone, it just happens to be comfortable for me. Someone who adores their carbs would hate it!
  • KarenisPaleo
    KarenisPaleo Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    This post is about to become a gazillion pages long! Here we go....
  • Stilllosing26
    Stilllosing26 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    It's not a problem for weight loss, but you might not be getting some vitamins and minerals you need. Check out some of the reports in MFP; they can be really helpful to see if you're getting what you need.

My personal rule for starchy carbs is to eat them only when it counts. For example, Wonderbread is a NO, but I'd be all over a slice of warm homemade bread. I typically eat about 75 a day and that includes 25 grams of fiber. Most of my meals are vegetables and protein and a good dose of fat and I find it much easier to keep within my calorie goal. It's certainly not for everyone, it just happens to be comfortable for me. Someone who adores their carbs would hate it!

Is it bad that I'm eating close to 200 carbs a day? I am still always under my goal, but will I still lose?
  • Stilllosing26
    Options

Are you getting enough protein?

I don't limit my carbs (no medical issues) .....but I do try to focus on protein numbers first.

Why protein?
  • DrJenO
    DrJenO Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is about a calorie deficit, not a carbohydrate deficit.

Higher amounts of protein and fat will make you feel more full, so you are less likely to overeat. They (along with strength training) will also help you maintain your muscle mass while you burn fat.

If your calorie goal is 1500 (for example), and you eat 1500 calories of Snickers bars or 1500 calories of grilled chicken, you will weigh the same in the end.

You might feel like crap, and you would lose muscle mass along with fat, but your weight loss would be the same.

Point being, don't stress about the carbs unless:
    1) you are diabetic and are therefore required by your doctor to limit your carbs, or
    2) getting a higher percentage of carbs leaves you feeling hungry and prone to going over your calorie limit.
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options

Is it bad that I'm eating close to 200 carbs a day? I am still always under my goal, but will I still lose?

You will still lose.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    Carbs need not be limited for weight loss. Providing you get adequate protein and fat, and your are under your calorie goal, the number of carbs a day you eat doesn't matter much. I generally eat 250+ carbs a day and lose weight. Some people find protein more satiating then carbs so that's something to consider, but again, as long as protein and fat minimums are being hit, carbs are not a problem.
  • Stilllosing26
    Options
    Carbs need not be limited for weight loss. Providing you get adequate protein and fat, and your are under your calorie goal, the number of carbs a day you eat doesn't matter much. I generally eat 250+ carbs a day and lose weight. Some people find protein more satiating then carbs so that's something to consider, but again, as long as protein and fat minimums are being hit, carbs are not a problem.

I myself find carbs fill me up! A bowl of All-Bran fills me up a good 3-4 hours!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

Losing weight is not carbs/protein/fat %'s. It's just about calorie deficit.......calories in VS. calories out. Eat less than you burn....you lose weight.

Macros: carbs/protein/fat %'s are about health & fitness goals. Some people need to eat low carb (medical issues) .....some people do well on higher fat diets.....others decide to up protein a bit (me).....and make sure to reach that number everyday. Reaching my protein number is about trying to maintain lean muscle mass....a lower body fat % is my goal.

Most importantly for me.......I need to make lifestyle changes. For me to maintain any weight loss.....I need to change some things forever.
  • hermann341
    hermann341 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    If you're using the default MFP ratios, and staying under the carb recommendation, you're probably fine. For myself, I find that a low carb approach works well to keep the weight loss going. I've tried a low fat approach and it did not work well for me. It depends on what works for your body. DrJenO basically hit the nail on the head.
  • Curtruns
    Curtruns Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I try and get about 55% (roughly) of my calories from carbs, the rest I split up between fat and protein. But I am an endurance athlete, not an avid lifter. My weightlifting is usually only body weight.
  • GreatDepression
    GreatDepression Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I'm not too good at restricting my carbs to a certain number. Instead, I've consciencely cut out most starches and grains. It was really hard to cut out white rice and noodles coming from an Asian upbringing.
  • Stilllosing26
    Options
    I'm not too good at restricting my carbs to a certain number. Instead, I've consciencely cut out most starches and grains. It was really hard to cut out white rice and noodles coming from an Asian upbringing.

Wow! Good for you!
  • memorymaze
    memorymaze Posts: 63
    Options
    I stay under 20grams of carbs/day. I follow a keto/paleo diet, which isn't for everyone. But I do have a gluten intolerance, and since switching to higher fat/protein and less carbs, all of my stomach problems have completely disappeared, as have my cravings for sugar. I feel satiated after every meal.
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    It really depends on the individual and how well you tolerate carbs. Some will find absolutely no difference and so for them it's all just about the calorie calculation. Others will find that they have a carb sensitivity issue -- that when they eat carbs, especially high glycemic carbs (like grains, certain fruits, etc.), they crave them more or feel worse later with a big blood sugar crash. These type of people may also notice that they have a harder time losing weight on the same number of calories with more carbs.

Sadly, such carb sensitivity is not uncommon. Over 40% of the US adult population has diabetes or pre-diabetes -- so, they have some carb sensitivity issue (i.e. insulin resistance). Many such people find that they do better restricting carbs as a result -- I personally keep mine at less than 100 g/day on average, though I'm often in the 50-80g range. And this has helped me feel better overall as I'm less fatigued from the blood sugar/insulin spikes and I lose weight faster. Others just make sure to balance their carbs with protein and fat. The number of carbs really varies with the person -- some feel better with a lower amount, some feel better with a higher amount.

You can try it yourself by restricting carbs and see if you notice a difference in how you feel or your weight loss efforts. You can also get a blood test like A1C which will show if you have insulin resistance or not.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Good grief. There is no such thing as "too many carbs." Everyone's carb intake is going to be different based on their bodies and needs. As someone stated above, an endurance athlete is going to have different needs than a lifter. Eating more calories than you burn prevents weight loss. The number of carbs/fats/protein only matters if it puts you in a calorie surplus.

If you have no reason to believe you have a medical issue, there is no reason to worry about your carb intake (as long as you are in a calorie deficit). Don't complicate things.