Ladies: Birth Control Options

Options

Replies

• mstarrett01
    mstarrett01 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I used ortho-tri cyclen lo before I had my child. Birth control never made me gain any weight, I actually lost with it. But I was on one before ortho-tri cyclen lo and it had WAY to many hormones and I got SO VERY DEPRESSED, and then I gained weight cause all I did was eat, and not good food either. Had to get off that one when I wanted to commit sucide. Anyway, now after my daughter I got the IUD, it is good for 5 years and had no hormones. You could also get this thing that they incert into your arm has no hormones, but I don't know they name of that.
  • redkimono
    Options
    I have the Mirena IUD as well and I love it! My period has basically disappeared so no more cramps or binge eating with hormone fluctuation. It is safe and I haven't gained any weight since getting it. Previously I was on Aviane pills and I gained weight on those.
  • MrsSki
    MrsSki Posts: 196
    Options
    Birth control affects everybody differently, what may work best for one person, is absolutely terrible for another. I would speak to your doctor about your options, you will probably have to try several different types before you find one that works for you. It also can take a while to find a decent birth control, unless you're having some outrageous symptoms, you should be on a birth control for 3-4 months before you try another. Patience is key here. Good luck finding something you like!
  • rose1617
    rose1617 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    NuvaRing - gained about 15 lbs. but combined that with diagnosis of a thyroid issue.
    It wasn't all NuvaRing, nor was it all thyroid.
    Combo of both.

Other than that I love NR.
  • lauralynette
    Options
    I would go with an IUD, they don't have horomones that cause weight gain, I am one of those that was very senstive to all types of birth control, the depo shot was the worst I have ever tried it felt like I was pregnant and I gained a lot of weight too.
    Now I have my tubes tied after the birth of my second child, long story but now I regret getting it done.
  • Helinah26
    Helinah26 Posts: 288
    Options
    on the patch and i havent gained any weight at all from it :)
  • Kate_UK
    Kate_UK Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    I've got a non hormonal IUD, its just a plain copper one and I've found it fantastic.
  • Sasssy69
    Sasssy69 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    I have the Mirena IUD and the hormones in the plastic don't really act outside the uterus so you won't likely experience weight-gain. It's good for 5 years. There is an IUD that is copper, no hormones there, and it lasts for 10 years but I had a friend who thought the heavy periods and cramps were bad with the copper IUD and she swapped it out for the Mirena. Ask your dr. if it's right for you! (that's my drug ad disclaimer;)

I too have a Mirena and I LOVE LOVE LOVE it!!! Really light periods are a bonus!
  • desp8housewife
    desp8housewife Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have the Mirena also... LOVE IT.... no weight gain.... no periods.... Dr says its ok not to have them if you arent ovulating! (which the Mirena stops) It works for 5 yrs but can be removed anytime if you want to have another baby.
  • rachelblank427
    rachelblank427 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I am on Loestrin 28, I have not had any weight gain with this pill. The only BC I gained weight on was the Depo. I do not recommend that at ALL. It was horrible, probably worse than being pregnant...
  • ivyjbres
    ivyjbres Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Paragard. A non-hormonal IUD that prevents pregnancy for up to 10 years.
    Ditto. My family can't have hormonal birth control due to a blood condition, so most of us girls have IUds. No worries..... Well, a few, talk about that with your OB, cause there are some possible downsides; but when you only have a few options, IUDs the way to go!
  • jzbaby626
    jzbaby626 Posts: 466
    Options
    I have the Mirena IUD as well and I love it! My period has basically disappeared so no more cramps or binge eating with hormone fluctuation. It is safe and I haven't gained any weight since getting it. Previously I was on Aviane pills and I gained weight on those.

I have Mirena as well. Period has pretty much disappeared, but I do still get cramps usually at what would be "that time of the month." The weight that I have gained is purely from me eating like a pig, not the bc. And I have been able to loose weight with it. I've tried several types of pills and they all gave me bad stomach aches, so i stopped using it. I also tried the Depo shot and had my period the ENTIRE time until it wore off (6 months i think it was...HORRIBLE!!) Mirena has become the best fit for me after a lot of trial and error.
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I loved the Mirena IUD (after the infection was tamed... but that's apparently very unusual).... I gained a ton of weight on the low dose pill. But I did have that one day where, instead of getting up at 4:30 to take the pill, the DH and I stayed in bed until 8 (and I took the pill at 8:30)...and then I had twins. The weight pretty much went away 9 months later..... that's pretty unusual as well, however, and not a caution about the pill and weight gain, but a good caution about how "the same time each day" means "the same time each day" as opposed to "when you get up in the morning."
  • Amandac6772
    Amandac6772 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    I have the Mirena IUD and the hormones in the plastic don't really act outside the uterus so you won't likely experience weight-gain. It's good for 5 years. There is an IUD that is copper, no hormones there, and it lasts for 10 years but I had a friend who thought the heavy periods and cramps were bad with the copper IUD and she swapped it out for the Mirena. Ask your dr. if it's right for you! (that's my drug ad disclaimer;)

I have the mirena too...AWESOME is the only word I have for it.
  • Knbrooks42
    Knbrooks42 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I take Tri-Sprintec it gained about 20 lbs the 1st and 2nd month but that all fell off the 3rd and 4th month once my body was used to it.. and i got back down to where I was when i first started taking the pills.. now i'm just trying to lose my own weight.

Are you still taking tri-sprintec? Have you had anymore side effects with it? Everything still going okay with it?
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    Tri-Cyclen going on 11 years now, never gained a pound from it.
  • juliana1977
    juliana1977 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I never had problems with BC pills. But I had an aweful experience with the patch and Mirena. The patch made me nauseated and the Mirena made my private area sick, for lack of better words... I am currently and have been since I took Mirena out in 2006 with Yasmin, not problems here. I take the new generic of it Zarah, before that was Ocella.
    It is different for everybody. If you have kids you can try Mirena, I don't know if they put Mirena in women without kids.
  • sweetpickle
    sweetpickle Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    read the book, TAKING CHARGE OF YOUR FERTILITY

honestly I am very against taking hormones of any kind for several reasons

a woman really can take a bit of control of knowing when & why you can get pregnant, & you don't have to abstain....we use a diaphragm properly all month and just take a few extra precautions when I know I am fertile.

It's absolutely been so amazing to see. I really think that they do not educate women enough on how our body works, and every person or doctor out there will tell you it won't work. when i got married people would ask me what my plans were (as if it were there business anyway) and i would always get the third degree on how i would end up pregnant....guess what, I haven't gotten preggo yet and I have been using this method for over a year
  • sbusch21
    Options
    I was on trivora for over a year and never gained, and my doctor recently switched me to yasmine and haven't gained from that either. I'd talk to your doctor and see what they say.
  • Ahzuri
    Ahzuri Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I never had problems with BC pills. But I had an aweful experience with the patch and Mirena. The patch made me nauseated and the Mirena made my private area sick, for lack of better words... I am currently and have been since I took Mirena out in 2006 with Yasmin, not problems here. I take the new generic of it Zarah, before that was Ocella.
    It is different for everybody. If you have kids you can try Mirena, I don't know if they put Mirena in women without kids.

They used to not do IUDs in women who haven't had children but that has changed in the last few years so now they do. I got mine put in 6 weeks postpartum but I know normally they put it in while you are on your period. I can't remember if that involves a pill to soften up your cervix or not but I'm sure if you asked they would tell you.