for the heavier men

Options

Replies

• jcb1179
    jcb1179 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I started out higher(360) and am facing the same challenges as you as far as noticing a difference. Just this past week I've had a couple of people say that I look good and that has helped out a lot. I will I would have taken some actual "before" picks and taken measurements but I didn't. I know that my pants are very lose and my shirts fit much better. Keep at it, I see improvements in your pics, but I understand exactly where you are coming from.
  • SmoothRiko
    SmoothRiko Posts: 193
    Options
    My husband is in the same boat as you. He started around 330 and is now just over 300 and he doesn't see a difference at all. I then show him the inches he's loosing and where he'd be at this steady pace and he's happy. You've been looking at yourself in the mirror so long that you won't notice differences in yourself that every one else notices, until it's drastic. It's a mental thing. I'm guessing your about a 3XL button up shirt. Here's what I did for my husband. Go out and buy yourself a 2XL or even a big and tall 1XL. This way you'll have something to shoot for. I bought him the big and tall 1XL. It's about the same size as a regular 2XL and it makes him feel good when he tried it on to know that he's almost a 1XL. Confidence booster at it best.

Your clothes estimates are correct. I'm going to start buying smaller clothes so I can have a goal to shoot for! I just have to get my head back in the game. I felt so good when people noticed the difference...then my life started getting more stressed, and I just picked up my bad habits again. UGH.........
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    I actually can see a difference in the pictures. Good job!
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to let you know I see a difference in the photos - in the face, neck, chest, waist, and possibly thighs (that's harder to tell, with the kids in front on the before :wink:). I think sometimes our own mind plays tricks on us. I don't know if we're expecting a more dramatic change, or just not as able to see the positive changes as well as others. Anyway, you are looking smaller, keep up the good work! :flowerforyou:
  • SlightlyMadman
    SlightlyMadman Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I've only lost 7 lbs so far, but am glad to see this as I was getting a bit discouraged for the same reason. I think men carry their weight in such a way that's less obvious, and a lot of fat in men is inside the body around the organs as well, whereas women store fat directly under the skin.
  • jkowula
    jkowula Posts: 447
    Options
    Great work, Keep on truckin'

I went from 255 to now 224. I really do not notice a difference yet. Some clothes fit a bit looser but overall.. na. I couple notches off my belt is about the biggest difference. I find it discouraging but physically I feel better. I have only had a couple of people comment as well so I don't think its that big of a change for me. I figure another 10 pounds and I will notice. This is the best I have ever done so I am going to keep going come hell or high water and so should you. Don't worry about it, you are healthier and that's what matters.

PS. Hows your blood pressure? Mine has dropped quite a bit, so that I notice...
  • tillymush
    tillymush Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    ive lost about 60 pounds (start 335 pounds) and ive havent noticed a difference mentally, other people have noticed the change and ive dropped clothes sizes, guess its down to how you see yourself!
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I'm down about 30 from 425, and there is no obvious change that I can see, but my shirts and pants are fitting looser, and I've gone down a notch on my belt.

Another thing is that having the shirt untucked is designed to hide our gut. I have always been a tucker, so I can see a change in my Dunlop disease (My belly Dunlop over my pants!). If you tuck your shirt in, I bet you'll notice the difference there more quickly.
  • Marlene1667
    Marlene1667 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I can see a notable difference. Especially in you face and neck. It's difficult to see the rest from the picture. For myself I have days where I don't see any difference in myself. Sometimes I even feel worse. Lets face it we didn't get to this point because we were kind to ourselves. 30lbs is a huge accomplishment, that 105,000 calories that you did not eat!!! Be really proud and take some time to appreciate and love yourself. I started writing in a journal 5 things I did well each day and it has helped. It's too easy to focus on our downfalls and forget all the good things we do.

All the best. I am sure you will do well.
  • bkyoun
    bkyoun Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your loss. I can see a difference.

I started at 330. In myself, I really didn't notice a difference in the mirror or pictures until around 280.

Good luck on your continued journey!
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    I know what you are doing wrong because I also did it when I lost 50 lbs. I do have a question though at any point did you try to eat less and exercise more to compensate and hope for scale weight loss?
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    As far as mirror difference I can see a change for me in 13 pounds. My starting weight was around 240 I never weight myself because I just never wanted to know the truth.
  • rikracer61
    rikracer61 Posts: 208
    Options
    First off, congratulations on your start. I can tell you, others can see a difference. I have to tell you from personal experience, don't get so hung up on numbers on a scale. How you feel is much more important. If you eat better and exercise the body fat will come off. If you check out my pictures, I was 350+ on June 2012 and that is me in chain maille, 215-220, geeking out at the ren fair. BTW the chain maille makes me look bigger than I am. Anyway the numbers you should be concerned with are your BF%. I have hydrostatic body composition testing done every three months, check into it. It is not expensive at all. I am currectly 17.1 %BF and am working toward 12-15%. I NEVER weigh anymore as all it did was make me depressed. The numbers never did what I wanted or expected and then my day, or week, was shot. I did not need that, scales are not a big guys friend. Good luck and don't let numbers effect your life, you look great and just know it's working!
  • trijoe
    trijoe Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    I first noticed it in my face. Then I noticed it in the way I walked. When I was at my largest, my arms operated differently when I walked than they do as I've thinned down. It sounds weird, I know. But when you're thin, your arms just naturally hang down. And when you're large, your arms go out to the side to compensate for your belly. When my arms stopped going out so far to the side, that's when it really started hitting me, "Hey... I'm changing..."

I knew it was already happening, but my FAVORITE time that I noticed was one day when the family and I were getting ready to go to the pool. I looked in the mirror and then at my wife and asked if she thought I was thin enough yet to go to the pool without my usually swim shirt (I was too embarrassed to get in the water topless.). She looked at me and said, "Oh yeah, you're fine without a shirt."

Keep up the great work. I can tell a difference in the pics. The larger you start, the more you have to lose to see a difference. So, don't get discouraged. One day, your kids are going to look back at the old pics, and be amazed that their dad was actually that large. It's a beautiful feeling, let me tell you.

TriJoe.
  • bikermike5094
    bikermike5094 Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    im down from 328 to 312. dont see much of a difference but like othes have said its the changes you feel that mean something. for me its looser clothes and i can fit in a booth at a restraunt now!
  • JoeMO
    JoeMO Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Congratulations, I am in a similar spot. I've lost close to 40lbs. Most of the time you can see it in your face, then you can feel it by the fit of your clothes. I'm finding daily tasks are becoming easier - Tying my shoes, walking up and down steps, wiping my ……(sorry but true), getting in and out of my car. Keep up the great work. As other people have said you'll begin to notice it in a lot of different ways. Joe MO
  • jcraig10
    jcraig10 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I definitely see a difference in your 2 photos! Your wasit and your face. You have hips! Don't get discouraged - you're doing great :)
  • Ftw37
    Ftw37 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I started noticing it when I started being able to see my feet again. For a long time, at 400+ pounds, when I looked down I just saw my gut, not my feet.

Then one day, I started noticing these two things popping into view in my lower peripheral vision when I walked.

"What are those things," I thought.

"Oh right," I remembered. "Normal people can see their feet when they walk. How about that?"

You might think I'm joking, but this is a true story
  • hermann341
    hermann341 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    For myself, I saw and felt it in my waist, after about 20 pounds and starting around 235. I should probably have been wearing 40's, but now I'm closing in on 36's (probably after dropping another 5 or so to 205). Also seeing it in my yoga over the last month. About 5 or 6 poses are a lot deeper than they used to be.
  • DoingitWell
    DoingitWell Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    <
    Chubby Chaser Right Here!!! I love this thread and I'm writing down all of your names, (except the ones under 300.)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!