for the heavier men

Options

Replies

• TheRealKingTony
    TheRealKingTony Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I noticed a tremendous difference between 393 and 358!

Also man, there is definitely a difference there. One thing to help yourself noticing is to get some new shirts to fit your new size!
  • daweez04
    daweez04 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    First of all, I can see a difference in your pics.

2nd, started at about the same as you, and it was about 30 when I started to notice. I noticed in my face much more than my body.

40-50 is when I started to notice drastic changes in my body and I was very comfortable in 2xl instead of 3xl. Other people started to really notice at around 40-50 as well.
  • dan_IRL
    dan_IRL Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I started around 320. I noticed significant changes around the 285 mark and started getting the wow youve lost weight comments around 285 as well. Then I got cocky and thanksgiving hit. Now i'm back around the 305 mark. trying to get my roll back on.
  • wordsandmusic51
    wordsandmusic51 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I see quite a difference in your pics, especially in your chest/midsection. Great job, try not to get too discouraged. I have lost 200+ pounds and look in the mirror and still don't see what I thought I would see. In the end, it will all be worth it! Good luck!
  • leon0897
    leon0897 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I've lost about 26 pounds (highest that I remember was 265) so far and I really can't tell the difference. I know tht my clothes fit looser and people have said that they've noticed but I don't know. I know that I will be happy when I'm buying size 28 pants and large shirts again. Then I will know and hopefully see it lol. Good job on your loss so far and stay motivated!
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    I notice a difference in you. Your shirt is bigger on you. And I imagine, so are your pants? Your face/neck is slimmer too :smokin:

Perhaps you'll notice the difference yourself when you are at a 'happy' weight. Seems to me that you're not happy with your loss yet, so it's not registering? A lot of our body image issues are psychological.

Anyway, congrats, you're definitely slimmer to the rest of the world :bigsmile:
  • coconuttjd
    coconuttjd Posts: 37
    Options
    When did you start to notice a physical difference in your weight loss? I took a after pic (after about 30lbs of weight lost) and found it to be discouraging. My before pic was around 340+ (my weight went past the scale) and a pic this morning (weight 305.6) While I know I lost weight (scale wise) I just do not see it physically. I realize there is no standard in when a physical change is noticed, I just wanted to hear when everyone else had change.

http://i61.tinypic.com/1zc0p4n.jpg

^^^^340+ lbs
    http://i62.tinypic.com/30tt9g3.jpg

^^^^305.6lbs

I can see the difference. Give yourself more time for your brain to start to recognize the new you. Stay with it and don't give up. I started where you were and I'm down to 260 lbs., and still losing and the changes continue even when you plateau.

There will be weeks when the scale is the only place you see your success and there will be weeks where the scale hardly moves but you'll find your clothes are looser and you need to tighten your belt an extra notch.

Don't let the scale rule you. It is just a tool. :-) A useful tool that helps you plan and act based on how your body feels.

Some people will tell you that you should wait until you start lifting weights. Don't let that stop you. The Non Scale Victory (NSV) that I found was the most important in my journey has been that "I love working out," and I love the endorphin rush, and I love feeling stronger and more able. I hang out in our home gym more than I hang out in the kitchen now.

I told a cousin who started to lose weight who was discouraged because the scale hasn't moved in two weeks but he's been working out and controlling his portions,

"Remember - the journey is the destination, not the goal. Enjoy eating better, enjoy the exercise, enjoy the doing... and the "becoming" will just happen."

Good luck. And seriously, I can see a pretty significant difference between your two pics.
  • ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    It's definitely noticeable in your face. It's hard to see a difference when we look at the same thing every day. Myhubby claims he has gained 40 lbs. since we met, but I think he looks exactly the same. He also claims he got old! Ha!
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    I don't look and realize I've lost weight unless I'm looking at a scale or buying jeans that are four inches or more down from what I came in wearing.
  • mikebooker1
    mikebooker1 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    From a strictly number perspective you'll lost about ten percent of your total body weight. I'm 6'5 and my starting weight was 315 so I differently fill your pain.
  • mom2my4boys
    mom2my4boys Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I can totally see a difference! I started at 275 and im now 190 and I still dont "see" a difference. Maybe someday my mind will catch up with my body. Like everyone else said, I feel the changes though. Slow and steady wins the race, keep making small sustainable changes. Your kids will enjoy the healthier daddy :)
  • spideywebb77
    spideywebb77 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I can totally see the difference. Good Job and keep it up!

I didnt start noticing until around 30 lbs lost.

I only weigh weekly and I take a picture almost every week. When I was having issues with not seeing the weight loss I would look at the pictures..... At first even that wasnt helping... because I was generally compairing the 2 most recent weeks. It finally clicked when I took my first photo and compared to the latest.
  • BJBroxton
    BJBroxton Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I know what you are doing wrong because I also did it when I lost 50 lbs. I do have a question though at any point did you try to eat less and exercise more to compensate and hope for scale weight loss?
    I am actually finding it difficult to eat the required food now though because, I just get full so much faster. (we eat 5 time Bfast/snack/lunch/snack/dinner) I am really trying to consume the required calories but not quite there yet. Personally I am comfortable with what we consume (instead of forcing food down and feeling bloated or sick) I walk for at least 20 minutes everyday 2- 20-30 minute workouts on the elliptical everyday (so far lol). But intentionally not trying to cut calories to compensate no.
  • BJBroxton
    Options
    First off, congratulations on your start. I can tell you, others can see a difference. I have to tell you from personal experience, don't get so hung up on numbers on a scale. How you feel is much more important. If you eat better and exercise the body fat will come off. If you check out my pictures, I was 350+ on June 2012 and that is me in chain maille, 215-220, geeking out at the ren fair. BTW the chain maille makes me look bigger than I am. Anyway the numbers you should be concerned with are your BF%. I have hydrostatic body composition testing done every three months, check into it. It is not expensive at all. I am currectly 17.1 %BF and am working toward 12-15%. I NEVER weigh anymore as all it did was make me depressed. The numbers never did what I wanted or expected and then my day, or week, was shot. I did not need that, scales are not a big guys friend. Good luck and don't let numbers effect your life, you look great and just know it's working!
    Nice work! I will be there one day (not the chain maille though...I am too warm blooded to wear that! I would drop 50lbs alone in sweat lol)
  • BJBroxton
    Options
    I started noticing it when I started being able to see my feet again. For a long time, at 400+ pounds, when I looked down I just saw my gut, not my feet.

Then one day, I started noticing these two things popping into view in my lower peripheral vision when I walked.

"What are those things," I thought.

"Oh right," I remembered. "Normal people can see their feet when they walk. How about that?"

You might think I'm joking, but this is a true story
    Nice! The day I get to see my feet.....put it this way Have you ever seen a Pentecostal full of the Holy Spirit?!?! I will be jumping/hopping the family might think I am eating coffee grounds!
  • BJBroxton
    Options
    For myself, I saw and felt it in my waist, after about 20 pounds and starting around 235. I should probably have been wearing 40's, but now I'm closing in on 36's (probably after dropping another 5 or so to 205). Also seeing it in my yoga over the last month. About 5 or 6 poses are a lot deeper than they used to be.
    Is yoga a great thing to take? ( I have hip/knee/back problems so a lot of the "good core workouts" are difficult for me. Wife and I have thought about a Yoga class together.
  • BJBroxton
    Options
    <
    Chubby Chaser Right Here!!! I love this thread and I'm writing down all of your names, (except the ones under 300.)
    I am taken :)
  • BJBroxton
    Options
    I can totally see the difference. Good Job and keep it up!

I didnt start noticing until around 30 lbs lost.

I only weigh weekly and I take a picture almost every week. When I was having issues with not seeing the weight loss I would look at the pictures..... At first even that wasnt helping... because I was generally compairing the 2 most recent weeks. It finally clicked when I took my first photo and compared to the latest.
    Yup I am going to steal a page from your book and do a weekly weigh in instead of the daily for MFP. I think it is messing with my head!
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Remember to keep telling yourself that you *are* going to be successful whenever the scale doesn't tell you what you are expecting. If you are doing the right things (and you are), the scale will catch up with the truth.

You *are* going to succeed! :bigsmile:
  • MBrothers22
    MBrothers22 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    also take shirtless progress pics if thats how you want to measure how well your doing. its really hard to tell with a shirt on

Oh yes. I take them every 30 days. Day 1 and 30, no difference. Day 30 and 60 HOLY CRAP.
    1 from the front and 1 from the side.
    351 to now at 313 I can see a clear difference. Down about a size and a half in pants. Went from tight 46 to comfortable 44 and could squeeze into a 42 but not yet. Shirts probably won't change much since I'm 6'2 but I wear a 2x mostly sometimes 3. I only expect to go down to a XL.

And I can see it in your face. Bad lighting in the 2nd pic so you can't judge your stomach really
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!