Nutritionist wants 1200 calories/day

Options
I'm contemplating weight loss surgery after years and years of failed attempts at losing weight and then keeping it off. I've been going through the program at Kaiser so that my options are open, and the nutritionist wants us on a 1200 calorie diet with a focus on protein. Is 1200 calories too little? I've only been doing it for a few days, and it hasn't been that difficult. But if I can keep up my motivation to lose weight without the surgery I want to make sure that I'm optimizing my hard work. MFP recommends almost 1800 calories a day for weight loss, so I'm thinking of upping it to 1400-1550. I'd appreciate any thoughts/suggestions. :smile:

Replies

• Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I'm contemplating weight loss surgery after years and years of failed attempts at losing weight and then keeping it off. I've been going through the program at Kaiser so that my options are open, and the nutritionist wants us on a 1200 calorie diet with a focus on protein. Is 1200 calories too little? I've only been doing it for a few days, and it hasn't been that difficult. But if I can keep up my motivation to lose weight without the surgery I want to make sure that I'm optimizing my hard work. MFP recommends almost 1800 calories a day for weight loss, so I'm thinking of upping it to 1400-1550. I'd appreciate any thoughts/suggestions. :smile:

I'd continue to work with your nutritionist and if you have doubts about whether enough calories are sufficient for you then talk that out with your nutritionist. Not sure seeking out advice from the internet is honestly your best option.

My gut says 1200 calories is too little and that that sort of aggressiveness in your diet is unnecessary unless you are about to drop dead from morbid obesity but as I said, between you and your nutritionist. Just be frank with them, express your concerns...ask why such a low calorie amount is necessary and see how they respond.
  • lemur_lady
    lemur_lady Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Im not going to say dont listen to her/him. Im not a professional and so cant give that type of absolutism.

What my experience was however: My nutritionist told me to go on 1700 calories a day when I weighed 300lbs+. I decided to use the 2100 calories mfp gave me instead. I lost on average 2lbs a week on this. Very glad I tested out the higher calorie goal first. I know if I had used the lower calorie goal I would have been much more likely to fall off the wagon and quit the diet altogether. I am still on 2000 calories a day now and have lost 92lbs. I see the nutritionist every few months and she is consistently surprised at how much I eat to lose weight.

Good luck.
  • logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I'm on 1200 and couldn't sustain it if I couldn't eat back exercise calories. I've lost at least 2lb per week for these first weeks.
  • Jaxsonjess
    Jaxsonjess Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I am on 1310, and do pretty good, about 1.5-2 a week lost. Sometimes If I am hungry I eat back some from working out. I am currently 240.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I had weight loss surgery almost 3 years ago and I will tell you that the 1200 calorie diet they put me on before surgery wasn't near as hard as I thought and I lost weight on it, because it is very high protein. If you aren't hungry on 1200, it's because of all the protein and probably the extra water they have you drinking.

As for upping your calories, I would advise you to stick with what the nutritionist is telling you. Surgery or not, this is their business and they do know what they are talking about. If you feel the need to talk or have more questions, message me. And good luck.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    When you have a LOT of weight to lose there's nothing wrong with 1200 for a SHORT time to give yourself some good motivation ;) I dropped about 20 lbs my first month (from 230 SW). If you can handle it I'd go for it, though if you find yourself getting hungry definitely eat a little more.
  • sugarlemonpie
    sugarlemonpie Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I am on 1200 calories a day plus workout calories (around 300 extra calories on those days), and it isn't easy but you just have to eat a lot more fruit and vegetables than you used to. My diet focuses on proteins, vegetables and fruits, cutting out as much complex carbs and sugar as I can. Honestly, I feel fuller and happier this way! Do what you are comfortable with, but 1200 is possible.
  • Katrina_F
    Katrina_F Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    The 1200 recommended calories was recommended for the entire class, I haven't visited with a nutritionist personally. I've been doing ok with the 1200 a day (lots of fresh fruit and veggies), but I don't want my body to go into starvation mode even though I'm eating adequately. I'm also just looking for advice, or anyone else's experience with eating so little. I am more than well aware that the internet is not a word to live by. Just want information so that I can make an educated decision with what's provided. :)
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    My opinion on why so many nutritionists put people on 1200 calories is as follows: Very few people need to be on such low calories to lose weight. No one who is obese needs to be on 1200 calories. Most people suck at counting calories. They forget to count things, they have cheat meals, the don't weigh food, they eat food that is difficult to track (out to eat, food prepared by others). If a nutritionist told you 1800 calories, which is more reasonable you may end up eating 2500+ due to miscounting. You don't lose weight, you blame the nutritionist, you fire them. If they tell you 1200 calories, you end up eating the 1700-1800 they actually want you on, you lose weight, they look like the genius. In the rare case you actually count 100% correctly and eat 1200 calories, you lose lots of weight really fast and then they up your calories the next time you meet with them...

1200 calories is way to low for almost everyone IF and only IF you count correctly.
  • bluffnmuffn318
    bluffnmuffn318 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    hmmm.. I set mine to 1200. Maybe I should just keep it at for miss counts. Makes sense.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    My opinion on why so many nutritionists put people on 1200 calories is as follows: Very few people need to be on such low calories to lose weight. No one who is obese needs to be on 1200 calories. Most people suck at counting calories. They forget to count things, they have cheat meals, the don't weigh food, they eat food that is difficult to track (out to eat, food prepared by others). If a nutritionist told you 1800 calories, which is more reasonable you may end up eating 2500+ due to miscounting. You don't lose weight, you blame the nutritionist, you fire them. If they tell you 1200 calories, you end up eating the 1700-1800 they actually want you on, you lose weight, they look like the genius. In the rare case you actually count 100% correctly and eat 1200 calories, you lose lots of weight really fast and then they up your calories the next time you meet with them...

1200 calories is way to low for almost everyone IF and only IF you count correctly.

I never looked at it this way but I think it's an excellent point.

I think 1200 is way too low as well if you're going to log properly though. I had less to lose and I've never eaten less than 1600, and lost 70 pounds in a year. So if you're going to weigh your food and be anal about logging like me... I'd follow MFP. If you don't want to bother weighing food and don't mind estimating... 1200 is probably good.
  • Katrina_F
    Katrina_F Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    This makes sense. I have been one to weight my food, prepare my own meals and track everything (even when I don't want too). I've only gone over my 173 the last few days. Yesterday I ate like 1800 so I went to the gym and worked off 500 calories. Maybe I should make an appointment for the nutritionist for a more personal idea of what I should really do.
  • booksgiver
    booksgiver Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    In Nov. 2012 I weighed 339 pounds at 5'1". My BMI was 61, I was in a wheel chair having severe joint damage from arthritis, and I was 62 years old. My primary care physician and I both felt that my best chance to lose weight would be with bariatric surgery, so I decided to have the "sleeve". My insurance company required 6 months of a weight loss plan before they would approve surgery. My nutrionist suggested I try to lose at least 4 pounds a month. I found MFP and entered my information and listed my weight goal of 2 pounds per week and my activity level as sedentary. I began at 1480 calories per day, but gradually decreased as I lost weight. In 6 months I had lost 50 pounds and my doctors were as astounded as I was. So I just kept doing what I had been doing and chose to not have the surgery. By Dec. 2013 I had lost another 50 pounds. SInce then my weight loss has slowed but I think that is to be expected as my body adjusts. I have also increased my calories to 1380 per day and according to MFP I could lose 1 pound per week. I have plateaued in the last month, but I'm not worried about it as I have learned that if I eat at a deficit I will lose weight...it's inevitable, so I just keep on in good faith. I've lost nearly 20 more pounds since Jan, 2014 and I hope to lose another 50 by Dec. of this year, but even another 30 will make me very happy. It's not a race, it's a goal and it's about being healthier and having less pain and improved mobility. You need to read everything you can and educate youself as this information will help you tremendously for the longterm with or without surgery. Nutritionsts are a great asset but you need to learn what works for you AND what you can live with. There's not much of a point of a 1200 calorie diet if you find it intolerable. You can do this but be an active participant in the decisions made and always be proactive and express your concerns to your healthcare professionals. They'll appreciated your honesty and will want to work with you to make the best plan for YOU! Best of luck.
  • Chris_Pierce
    Chris_Pierce Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I don't have a lot of weight to loose. But I've been netting 1290 calories for nearly 2 months now. It's not hard. 1200 without exercising would be impossible for me. I'd have to live on protein shakes, and I'd have malnutrition. I'd probably die. Haha.

If you exercise a lot and net 1200 calories until you meet your weight goal it should be a breeze. You can even treat yourself everyday if you want, as long as you work for it. I want beer later, so I spent 90 minutes doing cardio after my weight lifting routine.

Protein is huge, don't even bother working out if you don't eat enough protein. It really is that simple.

Good luck :)
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

You may actually have something there.

OP, 1200 calories is not a one size fits all count, so I am suspicious that a nutritionist would recommend that calorie goal for an entire group of people. I have seen nutritionists on MFP touting some pretty unscientific advice.
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Part of the reason for this diet is to see if you can follow directions and do what is required because those who succeed with lweight loss surgery have to comply with dietary restrictions for the rest of their life. 1200 calories give you adequate nutrition and losing as much weight as possible before surgery will improve liver function. Why you'd come here and question your nutritionist is beyond me. We aren't professionals. If we had the answers, we would be overweight now.
  • BurntCoffee
    BurntCoffee Posts: 234 Member
    Options

I worry about this a lot. I sometimes add a little more to my diary to make up for what I may have missed. So far though I have weighed and measured everything.
  • Ulwaz
    Ulwaz Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    1200 seems too low, 1400-1600 would be more accurate and easier for you to control :)
  • BurntCoffee
    BurntCoffee Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I'm just curious. What are the guidelines for weighloss surgery? Do you have to be a special BMI or weight?
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    Part of the reason for this diet is to see if you can follow directions and do what is required because those who succeed with lweight loss surgery have to comply with dietary restrictions for the rest of their life.

^^This. If you decide to eat more than the 1200 calories, you need to be honest with the nutritionist about that, and probably leave the pre-surgery program, because you aren't demonstrating the ability for post-surgery compliance with calorie restrictions. (And if you can successfully stick to as little as 1200 calories, why not just lose weight in a non-surgical fashion at 1400 or 1500?)