Calling all "Big" Fellas

Options
mikebooker1
mikebooker1 Posts: 148 Member
I'll just put myself out there... I'm 6'5 315ish, and 35 years old!

My weight has slowly crept up on me for 10 years now and it's time to change my lifestyle. I've been that guy who gets serious, looses 15 lbs, then gains back 30 for sometime now. I guess my new motivation is enough is enough. I'm tired of excuses and I'm tired of buying bigger and bigger clothing. I'm tired of feeling sluggish and I'm of being tired!

I'm not trying to be on the cover of GQ,I just want to make better decisions regarding how I live and eat. It would be nice to know some of you all who have gone through the same troubles as me. I called out the guys but honest if this story sounds like you I'd welcome you along for the ride too. Good luck to all!

Replies

• Swilla_Swole
    Swilla_Swole Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Im with you bro. I'll friend you
  • deviant_illusion
    deviant_illusion Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    One of my all time hate the most things is people calling me big dog! I have had the on again off again loose gain problem myself for some time. This is by far my best effort and I am currently in the best shape of my adult life. What has worked for me this go round is a personal trainer. I train 3 days a week with him and try to make it on my own a few days a week. Having someone to stay on you keep your nutrition in check and keep my workouts going when I would normally stop has been life changing. Its been 4 months now and I plan to continue to train with him for another 3+ months until I hit my goal weight of 190.
  • mikebooker1
    mikebooker1 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    haha... In my circle of friends I'm not referred to "Big Mike" . A piece of dies inside every time I hear it... ;0)

Congratulations on your journey so far. Hopefully I'm not too far behind you.

Mike
  • bomftdrum
    bomftdrum Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Anyone feel free to add me. I used to tell people I shop at the short and fat store. I am now trying to change it. It sucks trying to find 3xl shirts. It also isn't easy having to get huge pants for a short man. I am slowly changing my lifestyle. I am a man on a mission.
  • 4aces61
    4aces61 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    My best advice, log all your food. It has been the single one thing that has helped me be successful this time.I bought a food scale, I measure/weigh everything. Choosing the right foods is a must. You'll be surprised at how much you're really eating. then, a good exercise program. But you have to dig way down deep to achieve what you want. But YOU, have to want it. There are so many success stories here, it blows me away. You can be one too.

I started at 290 in January and have lost 55lbs so far. I'm only 5-8. My diary is open so you can see what I eat. so far it's worked very well. Add me as a friend if you like. I log everyday and am very active.

Good luck in your journey, there's plenty of help here for you.

Bernie
  • StuCrapo
    StuCrapo Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Story sounds similar to mine. 6'6", started at 355lbs almost a month ago. This time it's for reals, and I have my wife on board eating better with me too. That's made a big difference.

My goal is to lose 100lbs by Christmas. If all goes well, after my first month, I'll be a quarter of the way done. Already noticing small changes in my body too. Feels good.

Good luck!
  • Jimsmith109
    Jimsmith109 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    You called, lol I a, friends with Bernie Like Bernie I am 5' 9" I started my journey about 1 month ago at 270 pounds I am currently 254.5 track your food it keeps you honest and aware of what you have done and can still do best of luck Jim
  • wigwal
    wigwal Posts: 14
    Options
    Always happy to help, add me and hopefully we can provide each other the motivation needed to continue down this path.

I started at 385 about 16 months ago and learned that this things is a marathon, not a sprint.

Your drive, will power and work ethic are what will get you through this, you're stronger than you think, refuse to lose to that inner voice telling you to swing by taco bell (mines screamed at me for all manner of junk food).

Personally I'm down just over 100lbs and as cliche as it sounds, if I can, I believe anyone can get healthier.

YOU can do this, Sir.
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    45 years old, 6'5", started at 425 a month ago and am in the preparatory stage of going for weight loss surgery.

I'll second the advice about logging. Everytime I have been successful (plenty of times in the past), the common succes factor has been writing everything down. It helps me make good decisions if I know I will have to face myself again when I write it down.

Name wise, I've never minded "Big Rob", and in fact I'm kind of partial to "Big Fella", as that is what they started to call me at Lifetime Fitness when I was playing a lot of basketball there. I would generally stay out of the really competitive games around 5-7 PM, when the young hardbodies would play, but as the evening progressed, I was able to work myself in, keep to a role I knew I could contribute (defense, rebounding, setting mean picks), and I got to the point where I was a welcomed player. Ahhh, good times (unfortunately about 10 years ago . . .)

Best of luck to all of you!