Huge calves, HELP!!

Options
Okay, I'll start off by saying I know you can't spot reduce, "weight/fat comes off wherever it decides to do so", but my calves are really quite big for my frame and I would like some help to improve them. I currently fit into a UK 14/12 (depending on store) and pants, skinny/drainpipe jeans* specifically, just won't go over them at all. Heck, when I walk wearing leggings they actually rub and bash together, and when I'm in a tabletop position and gravity is working the amount of "dangle" is horrifying. I believe last time I measured them they were 16 inches around the middle.

If anyone has any exercises that can help at least tone/fill my calves out with a bit more muscle then that would be great. Still working on removing excess fat but hopefully some exercises can help in the meantime.

*I know I can get wider bottomed jeans but being short they just make me look and feel stocky. So yes, this particular part is more vanity than anything but overall my calf size is an issue whether jean types are in the picture or not, to be honest.

Replies

• Haakonson
    Haakonson Posts: 13
    Options
    Fat naturally clings to some places of the body more so than it does to others, depending on individual and sex. If you're sure they are 'big' because of only fat then it wouldn't hurt to try calf raises, just remember that you have to make sure you get a full range of motion when you do it though, calf muscles are notoriously difficult to workout haha. Although, if you don't lose body fat at the same time, muscle will push the fat out and make you look bigger, such as is the case with abs especially... so that could end up making it worse, your choice.
  • Rachifloon
    Rachifloon Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Fat naturally clings to some places of the body more so than it does to others, depending on individual and sex. If you're sure they are 'big' because of only fat then it wouldn't hurt to try calf raises, just remember that you have to make sure you get a full range of motion when you do it though, calf muscles are notoriously difficult to workout haha. Although, if you don't lose body fat at the same time, muscle will push the fat out and make you look bigger, such as is the case with abs especially... so that could end up making it worse, your choice.

Hmmm, I didn't quite think of that. I am losing weight/fat at a steady 1/1.5lb a week rate so would it be best to concentrate on fat loss first and then move on to muscle work and more targeted areas? Thank you for your advice. c:
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry to say that exercises probably won't help you loose circumference in your calves. You really should focus on diet and eventually the fat will come off of there.

I'm sure you've already got some fantastic muscle in there! I've known a few people who have complained about having calves that are too big when they're heavy, only to find when they loose weight that they have those really great genetically rare "shapely" calves that people work so hard for underneath.

If you do decide to exercise, do it for the fun and the fitness. Remember, though, that muscles swell when they are recovering and this might momentarily make your jeans fit tighter.
  • Haakonson
    Options
    Yes I would focus on fat loss, however, doing some light leg work (muscle exercises) wouldn't hurt because it wouldn't build much but still keep your leg muscles active; that's important because tired/working muscles increase your metabolism :)

I'm not an expert but this is what I have learned through personal experience, and quite frankly spending too much time reading articles and forums on this stuff haha. Have fun, and good work so far :)
  • echofm1
    echofm1 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I have 20.5 inch calves (down from 22 inches! Woo!), so I know your pain there. It's a family thing, so I don't have much hope for them. Like the other poster mentioned, all you can do is try to work out your calves. Hopefully you'll build muscle on them which will (hopefully) make them smaller.

You don't have to wait until you lose the fat though. Doing strength training on your calves will help you keep the muscles on there, while your body burns off the fat. It'll both help them to look nice and make them smaller.
  • holothuroidea
    Options
    I have 20.5 inch calves (down from 22 inches! Woo!), so I know your pain there. It's a family thing, so I don't have much hope for them. Like the other poster mentioned, all you can do is try to work out your calves. Hopefully you'll build muscle on them which will (hopefully) make them smaller.

You don't have to wait until you lose the fat though. Doing strength training on your calves will help you keep the muscles on there, while your body burns off the fat. It'll both help them to look nice and make them smaller.

If you add muscle to the muscle you already have, they will get bigger not smaller.

Muscle tissue doesn't directly feed on adjacent fat tissue when it grows. Muscle tissue generally doesn't grow when you eat a calorie deficit unless you have a very high BF%, and when it does your body metabolizes fat stores from it's genetically-determined least important storage places first, not whatever fat happens to be next to the recovering muscle tissue.
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    What's your body fat percentage? If it's over 30% or so, don't even sweat it.
  • Rachifloon
    Options
    Well my current exercise is the Blogilates Beginners Workout Calender which consists of mostly pilates workouts, but there's also some cardio and stretches thrown in there too, so my legs do get some workout from all of that. I can feel a bit of hardness in my calves but I can also feel there is quite a lot of squidgy fat in there too. I still have a little ways to go with reaching my weight goal so once those pounds have gone I'll review the calves situation from there. c:
  • Haakonson
    Options

If you add muscle to the muscle you already have, they will get bigger not smaller.

Muscle tissue doesn't directly feed on adjacent fat tissue when it grows. Muscle tissue generally doesn't grow when you eat a calorie deficit unless you have a very high BF%, and when it does your body metabolizes fat stores from it's genetically-determined least important storage places first, not whatever fat happens to be next to the recovering muscle tissue.

That doesn't mean she shouldn't work her legs, when they are clearly an area that she wants to be better (for her). So if she is to work any muscles, as I suggested - only lightly (probably without weights), it should be those; as this will result in a metabolism boost, which is beneficial overall, and also firmer calves when they do get smaller.

or this, haha: http://spotmebro.com/how-to-get-bigger-calves/
  • Rachifloon
    Options

I'm not even sure... Where would I go to get something like that done?

My current weight is152 pounds and a height of 5'4 if that helps with any estimates at all?
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options

My current weight is152 pounds and a height of 5'4 if that helps with any estimates at all?

I'd guess around that then!
  • Haakonson
    Options

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/becker11.htm use method no.2, I don't know why I keep replying either, no worries.
  • holothuroidea
    Options

That doesn't mean she shouldn't work her legs, when they are clearly an area that she wants to be better (for her). So if she is to work any muscles, as I suggested - only lightly (probably without weights), it should be those; as this will result in a metabolism boost, which is beneficial overall, and also firmer calves when they do get smaller.

I never said she shouldn't "work her legs." The OPs original question was whether or not any exercise would help her calves to be smaller, and the answer is no. She already has an exercise routine that she's content with, no reason to mess with it.

Adding a few BW leg raises to an exercise routine is not going to give anyone a "metabolism" boost, either. In a calorie deficit, you're not going to build significant enough muscle in the calves (even if you're doing heavy deadlifts) to increase your metabolism enough to make a difference for weight loss.

Her calves are going to be awesome when she reaches her goal weight. If she wants to do some calf exercises because she finds them fun or motivating, that's one thing, but they're not going to make any aesthetic difference. The "firmness" comes from the swelling during muscle recovery, and any standing exercise will give you that in your calves, even walking. Other than that, the only thing that is going to increase muscle definition is loosing the fat on top.
  • echofm1
    echofm1 Posts: 471 Member
    Options

I never said she shouldn't "work her legs." The OPs original question was whether or not any exercise would help her calves to be smaller, and the answer is no. She already has an exercise routine that she's content with, no reason to mess with it.

Adding a few BW leg raises to an exercise routine is not going to give anyone a "metabolism" boost, either. In a calorie deficit, you're not going to build significant enough muscle in the calves (even if you're doing heavy deadlifts) to increase your metabolism enough to make a difference for weight loss.

Her calves are going to be awesome when she reaches her goal weight. If she wants to do some calf exercises because she finds them fun or motivating, that's one thing, but they're not going to make any aesthetic difference. The "firmness" comes from the swelling during muscle recovery, and any standing exercise will give you that in your calves, even walking. Other than that, the only thing that is going to increase muscle definition is loosing the fat on top.

The answer isn't necessarily no though is the thing. She's losing weight, so she's eating at a deficit, which as you said means she won't put on muscle. However, by working out her calves she'll keep more muscle in that area and, if her body does decide to take energy stores from that area, it will be fat instead of muscle. This will make her calves at least look better, and possibly smaller.

The reason I said building muscle might make her calves smaller is because they will be tighter and more compact. You can look at lots of women who started lifting and other areas of their body got smaller because even though they put on a lot of muscle, or kept a lot of muscle as they lost weight, it takes up less space than fat and gets them into smaller clothes. By focusing on getting a higher muscle/fat ratio in her calves, it'll make them smaller.

I believe the first poster said that it was hard to do that. I didn't feel there was any need to reiterate that fact. You work out your calves every day just by walking, but that's not to say it's hopeless to try to work on them.
  • stephe1987
    stephe1987 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Just keep losing weight and lowering your body fat percentage. It might take a while before you notice any results. Body sculpting can only happen after you get down to a certain body fat percentage. Otherwise there will always be a layer of fat over whatever areas you're genetically prone to getting them (for some women it's the thighs). There are some good pics online to give you an idea of what each body fat percentage looks like so you can pick the one that most closely fits your goal.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    when you lose weight overall your calves will get smaller. that's it, easy peasy.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    One of the problematic parts that I get a lot of questions from from heavy individuals. So being honest up front, part of the reason calves might be big now is if one was very overweight or obese, the weight that they had to carry was supported by the legs. It's not uncommon for very overweight/obese individuals to have big muscular calves because as weight progress, the stress did to and guess what that does? It builds muscle.
    So while one may lose quite a bit of body fat, calves may only shrink two to four inches around. And if you have 20+ inch calves to begin with, you'll still have 16" calves in the end and those aren't small.
    If this happens to end up being the case, then self acceptance will be the next step.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • beabria
    beabria Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    Sadly, this is often an issue of genetics as well. My mother often tells me that when she was 18 and 95lbs (she's 5ft tall), her calves were still too big to fit into any boots. Now, I too have big calves. Being overweight now makes it worse of course, but once upon a time I was a dancer and my calves were CUT (my instructor once stopped in the middle of an exercise to comment on them - the only time ever I've been admired for anything fitness related :) ) but even then, I couldn't fit them comfortably into boots or skates. So, you may always have larger calves than normal. But, if there's a squiqqly layer as you mention, general weight loss will help with that so that you can end up with some awesomely cut calves, even if they still are larger than you'd like. :)
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Wide leg jeans don't need to stay wide everywhere. I do distance cycling so jeans shopping is inevitably followed up by a trip to get said jeans taken in from the knees down nowadays... anything that fits my thighs will become the chain's chew toy otherwise.