Surprising Weight Gain after Running!

Options
Ok - I've been a pretty active person my entire life. I have been content with my physical characteristics... but I have something pretty perplexing going on. If anyone has experienced this before - please feel free to offer advice, thoughts, critiques ANYthing.

I've started running again (training for a 1/2 marathon) and on my sixth week of my schedule. I've noticed, that I've actually gained weight in the past week. I'm craving FOOOOOOOOD, carbs anything I can get my hands on, so it's no wonder I've gained weight.

Has this happened to any of you? I can usually curb and control my hunger, but this is bad! I'm hungry ALL the time.

Will this pass? Will I actually get back to my usual weight? (I've gained 3 pounds, but I'm a small framed person. It feels like alot).

Any advice will be really appreciated. Really.

!!

Replies

• learnerdriver
    learnerdriver Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    It does happen- I tend to get hungry if I increase distance significantly. It's worse if I don't eat properly before and after- I eat for days. My hunger does curb down as my body adjusts to the new distance. My trick is do a large distance just before lunch or dinner, and eat low GI for breakfast. Check the exercise forum for other tips.

I think its pretty normal to hold onto water weight from eating carbs for a couple of days.
  • IrshRnr56
    IrshRnr56 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Hi pic3a, yep the carb craving stinks! It's important to keep your protein levels up at each meal You need to calculate it according to your weight on google or somewhere that is reliable. The US RDA is off we need more protein than the gov't suggests.
    I've run for over twelve years and the month or two before a 26.2 marathon, I'll see a drop of up to five pounds due to the high mileage the last month and a half of training. At that point, I've never been able to eat enough to stay the regular weight I was, so I never minded it.
    Salty foods also create a temporary gain and if you're drinking lots of sports drink, you might be picking up salt in it. I've known ultra marathon runners and they all take salt pills with them on runs of 20 miles or more, even on hot days of 15 miles, but the salt will retain water and the scale will show it.
    So, my advice, eat more protein and remember salt is important-just not too much of it.
  • pic3a
    pic3a Posts: 7
    Options
    Great advice and personal experience - thanks you guys!

I have neglected my protein, and have even cut down on veggies & fruits (this is unusual) to grab salty crackers from the cupboard! Ha! It makes me laugh just thinking how my usual conscientious attitude toward nutrition has plummeted - Ok, back on track. But it sure is nice to know that this is something that has happened to you too.

Whew :blushing:
  • einzweidrei
    einzweidrei Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    You have a weight range, right? My weight often goes up a few pounds and back down but I don't allow myself to freak out because I give myself that range of 3-4 pounds.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    I have recently started running and can say that I am totally hooked!
    I also just went on maintenance and noticed that since I started running I am hungrier as well. Other than the extra maintenance calories I haven't been eating more so as not to gain back but I have bumped up my carbs slightly because my body needs the fuel for running as well as my other physical activities. I allow myself one to five pounds variance so I don't worry about it. I have actually noticed that since I started running I have lost inches and ounces. My muscles are more solid than ever and I have more loose skin... ugh! But hey, the skin will tighten up over time.
  • JeffTCole
    JeffTCole Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I run a lot and experience the same things. Have not figured out the short term weight gain, but it seems to trend back down in a few days. As for the hunger, I am hungry all the time. I take this as a clue from my body that my workout took all the stored fuel I had, so feed me! I also think about food like the air we breathe. Have to have it. Good luck on your 13.1.
  • pic3a
    pic3a Posts: 7
    Options
    This is fabulous! I love hearing how active everyone is - this just makes me smile

I'm pretty darn excited about this 1/2 marathon coming up (Haida Gwaii Totem to Totem run), I'm not looking to make a great time, just pleased to finish.

In time I'll be looking to get faster, but right now focusing on strength building.

@ cushman5279 - good for you for starting running! Let me know how you progress!

@JeffTCole Thanks for your insight. I'll try not to obsess over the scale.

Have a great weekend everyone
  • coronalime
    coronalime Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I'm iron man training and have gained almost 15 pds.
    Like you I'm picking at foods that I didn't before. And either I rationalize it out that I deserve it or I'll work it off later or I get a lot of calories that day.. Or my body needs the carbs and I'm not getting them enough through better food choices..I'm not sure.
    I'm trying to grasp it. I mean who the F gains weight ironman training?
    Make sure your staying hydrated
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    Increase your protein; your weight will level off. After long runs I crave carbs, but I found if I have a TBSP of PB and squeeze a mouthful of honey before I run I'm less inclined to tear the carbs apart post-run. Good luck.
  • RaluKitty
    RaluKitty Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I've been running a lot in the last 2 years - 6 or more days a week, and sometimes even longer streaks. I've done 10 half marathons and I have my first full marathon at the end of May. This is what I learned:

1. While I was still losing weight, I was not eating "classic" carbs before running... I preferred to be slower and get a bit hungry after 4-5 miles, but still run on my own fat plus lots of veggies/lean meat . IMPORTANT TIP that HELPED me a lot with hunger - I ALWAYS had a protein shake (under 200 cals, but 25-30 grams of protein) after every single run over 3 miles! this helped tremendously with hunger...

2. Once I reached my goal weight, I discovered I need to account for the fact that I consume fewer calories running and thus eat fewer calories back - when I started running I considered I burn about 100 cals per mile (and thus ate back 100*no. of miles run), after losing 60+ lb I consider I burn only about 80 per mile (so I have less to eat back)

3. No matter how much I run, I still need to count calories and measure my servings in order to stay within a 5lb range... "funny" how I always move up in that range, but never below my goal weight...

4. I only started using gels for runs over 8 miles... for 8-10 miles I use one gel in the middle of the run; for 12-17 I use about 3; I only used 4 gels for 18-22 miles; I do drink a recovery drink after my runs now (80-100 cals)- I started needing it when I started marathon training

5. While I was losing weight, I would have mostly protein with every single meal... And veggies. Almost no bread/rice/pasta. I was running in the afternoon, after lunch and a light snack like fruit or cottage cheese. I then the protein shake right after running and dinner within 1-2 h.

6. I can lose weight and train very well while preparing for a half. I only experienced the incredible hunger about 10 weeks into marathon training... My muscles simply needed more carbs to not hurt...

I now finished the highest mileage runs in my training cycle, and I started focusing on losing the 3-4 consistent (aka over my allowed range) pounds I gained with Marathon training... I am focusing on lost of protein - whey, lentils, chicken breast, Greek yogurt, veggies or fruit with every meal, as little sweets and nuts as possible, desserts focused on fruit.

Good luck and don't stop running!!!
  • Miffylou
    Miffylou Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    OP thanks for posting the question as I've had the same issues.

Thanks everyone for some great tips. Will be giving some of these ago.

????
    ????
    ????????
  • Tillyecl1
    Tillyecl1 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I'm iron man training and have gained almost 15 pds.

This happened to me when I was training for an Ironman too. I justified it with the classic "I'm doing sooooo much training I must be able to eat whatever I like".

NOT TRUE (for me anyway) :-(

I'm now training for a half Ironman (my favourite distance), and I am keeping a very tight control on my food, logging everything. I am still losing (and will continue to do so until I reach my race weight). The key for me was rethinking my "entitlement" attitude to food whilst training and starting to concentrate hard on using food as fuel rather than as a reward\reaction to a hard session. I find this quite difficult because some days I am absolutely ravenous, but I know I have myself set up in such a way that I plan exactly how much food I will have\need and I don't go over that amount (however much I want to!).
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Similar to upthread, I find that throwing a recovery drink down my throat immediately after my long run helps a lot with staving off the hunger pangs.

That said I do then eat 4 pieces of fruit and a couple of granola bars as well, but I'm still losing.
  • WanderingPomme
    WanderingPomme Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Yep, same thing is happening to me! Thankful I am not alone but also sad that we are gaining unwanted weight.:grumble: