Ankle/foot injury - where do I get my cardio!

Options
Wonderob
Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
3 to 4 months out with a bad injury and I'm devastated!

I can still do some weights but nothing that puts weight on my foot so deadlifts and squats are out.

It's cardio that's the real problem though. No running/cycling/cross trainer/swimming/row machine

I can either sit with my feet up eating chocolates feeling sorry for myself or find some cardio I can do without aggravating the injury. Can you help please!!!???

Replies

• SOCOLOCO87
    SOCOLOCO87 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Circuit training- Basically all weight exercises with no rest. Keeps your heart rate up, not as much as running but still good plus you get the after burn effect.
  • Wonderob
    Options
    Circuit training- Basically all weight exercises with no rest. Keeps your heart rate up, not as much as running but still good plus you get the after burn effect.

Thanks for advice - normally I love the circuit training, but I can't put any weight on my foot at all, can't even walk. My options are pretty limited to be honest!
  • Wonderob
    Options
    swim!

Yeah I thought of swimming straight away - I loathe swimming but I really can't think of much else. I can't keep putting more and more obstacles in the way so I think I'll have to grin and bear it

I look a bit like the Tasmanian devil when I'm swimming - everything splashing about, white water everywhere! I'll have to go when it's quiet!
  • SOCOLOCO87
    Options

Thanks for advice - normally I love the circuit training, but I can't put any weight on my foot at all, can't even walk. My options are pretty limited to be honest!

If you can get the weights while sitting, you can do curls from that position, tricep extensions, lateral raises, (laying down)dumbbell press, Chest fly. Only if you can do it safe of course. light weight high reps for now maybe. I guess if you cant walk someone bring them to you lol
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain, but on a lesser scale. I just started back after 4 weeks off for a sprained ankle - dumb gopher hole. I didn't do any cardio during that time so I'm not at my prime right now. The only exercise I did during recovery was weight training (skipped things that put any stress on the foot/ankle.) It was a real bummer. The first couple of weeks I had very limited mobility and my morale tanked big time. If I don't get my exercise it really affects my mood. Do you have a physical therapist who can advise you? good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • SOCOLOCO87
    Options
    Do you have access to a wheelchair? if so..wheelchair racing.

That sounds awesome!
  • Wonderob
    Options

If you can get the weights while sitting, you can do curls from that position, tricep extensions, lateral raises, (laying down)dumbbell press, Chest fly. Only if you can do it safe of course. light weight high reps for now maybe. I guess if you cant walk someone bring them to you lol

Yeah that's true - I could do some light weight sessions too for my cardio couldn't I

I have seen people down the gym on crutches which does make me feel like I'm making too much of a fuss. I can't do what I want, but I can still do something. Worth posting here though as I feel a bit more motivated and the high reps suggestion is definitely something to think about too.

Back to the gym tomorrow I think
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Boxing workouts :)
  • Wonderob
    Options
    I feel your pain, but on a lesser scale. I just started back after 4 weeks off for a sprained ankle - dumb gopher hole. I didn't do any cardio during that time so I'm not at my prime right now. The only exercise I did during recovery was weight training (skipped things that put any stress on the foot/ankle.) It was a real bummer. The first couple of weeks I had very limited mobility and my morale tanked big time. If I don't get my exercise it really affects my mood. Do you have a physical therapist who can advise you? good luck! :flowerforyou:

Great empathy thanks. Injured myself Sunday so I have had a couple of days rest with my feet up and now I'm about to get in touch with a Podiatrist who I'm hoping can help. Morale is the big problem as I'm usually 'all or nothing' - going from 2 hours a day at the gym/cycling to just ticking over is going to be tough!

No excuse for the weight training to be honest - can still do arms/chest/back/shoulders and probably leg extensions and leg curls should be ok shouldn't they?
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    My old gym had this crank machine that looked like a bike. But you used your arms instead of legs on the pedals. It was super hard! And the guys who used it had spectacular arms. Sorry, I have no idea what the machine was called.

I'm the same as you in a pool - but I bet we burn a lot of calories by flaying our arms about. Get a running belt for the water, that way you can stay in the deep end without having to touch the bottom of the pool with your feet.

You might google the Paralympics and see what kind of training they do. And it certainly puts things in perspective..

Glad you reached out, don't give up and don't sit around eating chocolates - that will solve nothing.
  • Wonderob
    Options
    My old gym had this crank machine that looked like a bike. But you used your arms instead of legs on the pedals. It was super hard! And the guys who used it had spectacular arms. Sorry, I have no idea what the machine was called.

I'm the same as you in a pool - but I bet we burn a lot of calories by flaying our arms about. Get a running belt for the water, that way you can stay in the deep end without having to touch the bottom of the pool with your feet.

You might google the Paralympics and see what kind of training they do. And it certainly puts things in perspective..

Glad you reached out, don't give up and don't sit around eating chocolates - that will solve nothing.

Yes I remember seeing that machine at my gym too - I'm not sure if its still there as I haven't seen anyone using it? It does sound ideal

You're spot on about the Paralympians too; really puts things into perspective and I'll take that as your polite way of saying "Stop whining and go and do something about it!"

Heck there's people out there mountain climbing and competing in marathons with no legs and I'm bleating about a sore foot!
  • Wonderob
    Options
    Update:

5 days off from the gym eating anything that took my fancy.

Now back to my usual routine of 4 weights sessions (not a problem) and 3 cardio sessions (difficult but pushing through)

No real harm done. If I had left it another week then I think I would have struggled to stay motivated until my injury healed completely!
  • MysteriousLdy
    MysteriousLdy Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    swim!

Yeah I thought of swimming straight away - I loathe swimming but I really can't think of much else. I can't keep putting more and more obstacles in the way so I think I'll have to grin and bear it

I look a bit like the Tasmanian devil when I'm swimming - everything splashing about, white water everywhere! I'll have to go when it's quiet!

You might be interested to read the article below.
    Try leisure swim or breast-stroke style. Not freestyle swimming.

Swimming can increase your endurance and it is a anaerobic exercise,without harming your ankle/foot injury.

What are the benefits of swimming?

There are plenty of reasons to swim! Here's a list that should get you motivated.

Low impact
    There's no ground impact when you swim, and so you protect the joints from stress and strain. In fact, the Arthritis Foundation strongly recommends swimming and water activities for this reason, so much so that they sponsor water classes all over the country (check http://www.arthritis.org for information). Water aerobics classes are also desirable for this reason, because even if you do jump and hit the bottom of the pool, you do so with less force because you're buoyant in the water. Not only that, but if you wear or hold a flotation device during a water aerobics class, the impact is even less.

Can be continued for a lifetime
    Because there's no impact with swimming, it can be continued for a lifetime. If you check the United States Masters Swimming (http://www.usms.org/) Web site for age categories of their swim competitions, you will find a 100- to 104-year-old age group! And the master of fitness, Jack La Lanne, who died in 2011, still swam one hour every day at age 93!

Builds cardiorespiratory fitness
    Swimming improves endurance. In one study of sedentary middle-aged men and women who did swim training for 12 weeks, maximal oxygen consumption improved 10% and stroke volume (the amount of blood pumped with each beat which indicates heart strength) improved as much as 18%.

Builds muscle mass
    In a study of men who completed an eight-week swimming program, there was a 23.8% increase in the triceps muscle (the back of the arm). My take on muscle mass and swimming is that if you have been doing no resistance exercise at all and you start to swim, you will certainly get more toned and you may even gain mass like the men in this study. But even without the gain in mass, it's well worth the strength and tone that you will almost certainly gain.

An alternative when injured
    When athletes are injured, particularly in the lower extremities, they are frequently told to swim to maintain their fitness level. Swimming helps them stay in shape, and it's even part of the rehabilitation. That's because the resistance of the water makes the muscles work hard without the strain or impact that is experienced on land.

It's a break from the summer heat
    There's nothing like it during the hot days of summer, whether it's at the beach or in the pool. It's relaxing, the movements are smooth and rhythmic, and it's a great workout.

It's a family affair
    Swimming and other water activities are something the entire family can share. With rising levels of obesity in children as well as adults in the United States, family physical activities and good role-modeling may be one way to stem the epidemic of inactivity and obesity facing our nation.

Burns calories
    Swimming burns lots of calories, anywhere from 500-650 per hour depending on how efficiently you swim (you burn more flopping around than swimming cleanly!) and how buoyant you are (the more body fat you have, the more you float and the fewer calories it takes to swim). Very early and original research on swimming and calorie expenditure showed that swimming, regardless of the stroke, burned about 89% of the calories burned during running and 97% of the calories burned during cycling for the same time period. Stated another way, swimming burns about 11% fewer calories than running but only 3% fewer calories than biking. One important caveat about this data is that calorie expenditure is dependent on the intensity of exercise, and so it's entirely possible to burn more calories swimming than running in the same period of time as long as you swim hard enough, and particularly so if compared to running at light intensity.
  • beabria
    beabria Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    Man, sorry to hear about the injury! In a circuits workout I did once, we did a lot of punching moves, and it really got my heart rate up! I remember the instructor saying it was a great cardio workout that had many variations and could even be done by people in wheelchairs, so it might be a good option for you. Also, just an idea that floated into my head, but I wonder if you could fix a rowing machine so that you only did the pulling motion and not the gliding from the leg push.
  • chard_muncher
    chard_muncher Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Battle ropes.
  • Wonderob
    Options
    Man, sorry to hear about the injury! In a circuits workout I did once, we did a lot of punching moves, and it really got my heart rate up! I remember the instructor saying it was a great cardio workout that had many variations and could even be done by people in wheelchairs, so it might be a good option for you. Also, just an idea that floated into my head, but I wonder if you could fix a rowing machine so that you only did the pulling motion and not the gliding from the leg push.

Oh you know what, that would be great! I tried the row machine and most of the motion was just fine - it was the last part with knees up that bent my foot and gave me problems
  • Wonderob
    Options
    Battle ropes.

I had never heard of them but googled and had a look. Looks good but have never seen them anywhere - looks like you need a fair bit of space. There were some flat foot exercises but quite a few involved twisting my feet so would probably restrict me a bit. Hard work by the look of it though!
  • ClassyBrass12
    ClassyBrass12 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Could you elaborate on your recommendation against freestyle swimming? (I agree with you, I'd just like to hear your thoughts.)