Juicing

Options
I am thinking about juicing within the next two weeks. I was wondering if anyone has done this before. What was your experience like? Pros/cons? Did you give up food altogether? I would love to hear any feedback.

Replies

• plushfashionista
    Options
    Anyone? lol
  • moodyfeesh14
    moodyfeesh14 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    watch, sick fat and nearly dead on netflix it will give you a real representation of juicing I highly recommend beginning at the start of a 3 day weekend as at first while you detox you feel like crud and be incredibly irritable. If you do it just be careful to watch the sugar intake from the fruit although it is good sugar because it is from a natural source a lot of anything is no good
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    I have not done it before.

The method shown in Fat, Sick, and nearly dead is something I disagree with immensely. You are eating a diet lacking in fat, protein, and fiber. It is also extremely calorie deficient.

Pros: You get a high dose of vitamins, minerals, enzymes, etc. You lose a large initial amount due to reduced water and food waste retention.

Cons: You excrete most of those added vitamins and minerals out. The weight you initially lost is mostly water weight. You are not teaching yourself proper eating habits. You will likely have watery stools which will make you afraid to sneeze or cough.

Overall, I think that juicing is a great way to add vitamins, minerals, enzymes, etc into an existing diet.
  • IAmBrittneyFord
    IAmBrittneyFord Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Juicing is good but you should use it as a "supplement" to a healthy clean diet
  • red0801
    red0801 Posts: 283 Member
    Options

I couldn't agree more. I juice almost daily, as a supplement to a healthy diet. I usually drink 16 oz of UNPROCESSED (no added sodium & chemicals) juiced fruits & veggies. On a normal day I will juice 3-4 large leaves of kale, a handful of spinach, 1 carrot, 1 grapefruit(any citrus fruit) & an apple. If I see things like beets, bok chow, strawberries, pineapple or oranges on sale I'll grab them & mix them in to taste.
    Some of the benefits I have experienced are an increase in mental focus, my seasonal allergies are non-existent, & my muscle recovery time is greatly increased.
    Please remember that UNPROCESSED juice (made with a centrifugal juicer-breville, jack lalain, hamilton beach, these juicers have the spinning internal blades) has a short shelf life. It usually has to be consumed or discarded within 24 hour of being made. I have a Breville Juice Fountain that I have used daily for over 1.5 yrs that works great. Juicing takes me about 10-15 minutes every 2 days. To get juice to keep longer (up to 72 hrs) you can use a masticating juicer (omega-these crush the juice out of the juice out). However masticating juicers have considerably more pulp than centrifugal juicers.

For me, the increase in stamina, health & taste are well worth 10 minutes out of my day.

If you want help with recipes or storage tips to get around the 24 shelf life let me know.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead is an advert by a juicer salesman with a broken moral compass.

There are no benefits to juicing other than variety.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options

I couldn't agree more. I juice almost daily, as a supplement to a healthy diet. I usually drink 16 oz of UNPROCESSED (no added sodium & chemicals) juiced fruits & veggies. On a normal day I will juice 3-4 large leaves of kale, a handful of spinach, 1 carrot, 1 grapefruit(any citrus fruit) & an apple. If I see things like beets, bok chow, strawberries, pineapple or oranges on sale I'll grab them & mix them in to taste.
    Some of the benefits I have experienced are an increase in mental focus, my seasonal allergies are non-existent, & my muscle recovery time is greatly increased.
    Please remember that UNPROCESSED juice (made with a centrifugal juicer-breville, jack lalain, hamilton beach, these juicers have the spinning internal blades) has a short shelf life. It usually has to be consumed or discarded within 24 hour of being made. I have a Breville Juice Fountain that I have used daily for over 1.5 yrs that works great. Juicing takes me about 10-15 minutes every 2 days. To get juice to keep longer (up to 72 hrs) you can use a masticating juicer (omega-these crush the juice out of the juice out). However masticating juicers have considerably more pulp than centrifugal juicers.

For me, the increase in stamina, health & taste are well worth 10 minutes out of my day.

If you want help with recipes or storage tips to get around the 24 shelf life let me know.

So juicing isn't a process. Processing is where you add nasty CHEMICALS, like H2O, right?

i5FL3.jpg

Gotcha.
  • Spiegelchan
    Spiegelchan Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I always wanted to do it but when you read about it and read the reviews of the different juicers, there are a lot of articles saying that centrifugal juicers 'cook' your juice due to the high heat and basically it's nowhere near as nutritious as it should be, and then masticating juicers are so expensive but even when you save up for one you read reviews that they're hard to clean, or that the plastic parts will literally flake and fall into your juice so you're drinking plastic to go with your fruit and veggies, and even the metal ones are usually plastic on the inside........ It was so complicated and expensive u_u Easier to just eat the fruit /:
  • plushfashionista
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback everyone. I will be doing more research on it.
  • TheNewMe93Chicago
    Options
    go with blending
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,088 Member
    Options
    .............. It was so complicated and expensive u_u Easier to just eat the fruit /:

Yes you could have a good point here :wink: