Former Fat Guy Transformation - Year 1

Options
I have completed one year of dedicating myself to getting in shape. My wife and I have tried "dieting" in the past but it was a short lived experience. After years of dropping weight, they yo-yo'ing back We finally decided to make a life altering change. Instead of a "Diet", we chose to make fitness a lifestyle.

I was a wrestler in high school, and would drop from the 190's during football season to wrestle in the 152lb class during the winter, then bulk back up to powerlift in the 181 lb class during the spring / summer. My way of cutting weight was to simply starve myself, and this is how I initially approached weight loss in later years. At 25 years old I made the local SWAT team and dropped 50 lbs to pass the physical agility test and make it through Basic. I dropped to 178 lbs and I was only eating 600 calories a day. I didn't realize I was destroying my metabolism, and when I bumped to 1,200 - 1,400 calories a day I started putting on fat!

Fast forward a couple of years and while rescuing a team mate who had been shot on a hostage rescue mission, I hyper extended my back as we fell off of a porch. Every time I tried to lift or run it was like someone was stabbing me mid spine. On came the pounds. A year later I was sent to the FBI sniper school and I was able to get back into some sort of shape, but then during a search warrant, I rolled my ankle causing a fracture, torn tendon, and three torn ligaments. I had a reconstructive surgery to my ankle, but running was out of the question for quite some time. I sucked it up long enough to pass the annual physical agility test for the team, but could not maintain my physical fitness. I resigned from the team after 5 years.

I had since been promoted to Detective and was working Child Sex Crimes. Long days of sitting behind a desk, and dealing with stress and depression led to drinking more than I should have, and not exercising. Again on came the pounds. After three years of this mess I took the first promotion out of that section, and went back to patrol as a Sgt. A year passed back on patrol and I lost 10-15 lbs from just being active again, but I was still a blob. A few fights with methed out a-holes showed me what kind of poor shape I was in. So I decided it was time to do something about it.

I had recently received my blood test results and they were frighting!
Total Cholesterol was 321 and Triglicerides were 313! bp was 134/84

Here I am on Christmas in Washington D.C. (copy link and open in new window)
http://img29.imageshack.us/i/summertrip2010516.jpg/
http://img228.imageshack.us/i/summertrip2010547.jpg/

Time to make a change.

January 1, 2010 245 lbs
Size 42 pants, 2xl shirts, and a size 50 suit!
I started tracking my food with the help of an online program located at:
www.myfitnesspal.com
I was looking for a database for cholersterol numbers, but found they had a program with tracked several macronutrients, and you could set it up for weight loss.

The wife and I also purchased a treadmill and exercise bike. We made the pledge to each other that we would work out three times a week, and stuck to it. Working out together, and holding each other accountable sure helped.

In February I started the C25K (Couch to 5K) running program and progressed during the next 12 weeks until I could run a 5K! Although not very fast, but 3 10 minute miles was sure an accomplishment.

March The wife and I borrowed a set of P90X DVD's from a fellow officer and began following them. The lbs started coming off, and the muscle started going on. We did a modified P90X workout through June.

The wife and I vacationed to Canada for two weeks of camping in June. (copy link and open in new window)
http://img207.imageshack.us/i/summertrip2010020.jpg/
http://img816.imageshack.us/i/summertrip2010082.jpg/

Man at 205 lbs, I thought I looked good at this time! That is until I saw the photos. I need a tan!

After the vacation it was back to the gym! I began bicycling up to 30 miles a shot 2-3 times a week, and began lifting more traditional lifts. My agency opened a weight room for its officers and allowed us to use 45 minutes of our 12 hour shifts for work out, so I took advantage of it.

After months at 1500 net calories / day, I felt like I had hit a wall and my metabolism was suffering. I decided to go on a bulking phase and upped my calories to 2,800 net and began lifting heavy!!!!

After 8 weeks of this, I got up to 188 lbs, and I began cutting again. I have made good gains in size and strength. I was able to do 27 pullups the other day for my first set, and completed 6 sets of 10 with 20 lbs added weight (various grips). I am now back to 183 and
want to see sub 10% bf before my next bulking phase. (we'll see) I wanted my last cutting phase to highlight the difference between start to end at the close of the year However trying to cut during the holidays sucks as there are always snacks and treats around the office!!!! I've been eating a 35 carb / 45 protein / 20 fat ratio and all carbs come from whole grain / low GI sources. (One problem I have with a high protein diet is cholesterol is a concern.)

Here I am.

Wearing size 30 or 32 jeans, medium shirts and a size 44 suit! (copy link and open in new window)
http://img15.imageshack.us/i/img0436hf.jpg/
http://img810.imageshack.us/i/imag01081.jpg/

I just got my one year blood test results and here are the current numbers:
Cholesterol 200, Triglicerides 80! Blood Pressure 110/80!

By the end of next year I want to be 190 lbs and 7% bf. and 18" arms. Lofty I know but I think attainable. I am still struggling to get rid of the flab around my belly button. Hopefully the skin will tighten up with time.

This is my transformation. 1 year in the life of a 35 year old fat guy.[/QUOTE]

Replies

• bhonniered
    Options
    Wow- what an amazing transformation! How did your wife do? Thanks for sharing your story.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Great story and congratulations on your success and determination. Keep up the good work!
  • cocodp
    cocodp Posts: 164
    Options
    Way to go!!! What an awesome story to start the year off with!

Congrats to you and your wife and sticking together to do it.

Woo hoo!
  • highgear
    Options
    The wife is very shy, but I'll brag on her a bit. She dropped 35 lbs, and is now wearing size 2 or 4 pants (depending on brand). She is still working out with me, and I'm slowly getting her to start banging iron, so she can add some muscle mass to boost her metabolism.
  • Kath712
    Kath712 Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Wow! Congrats to both of you!!
  • lavender11
    lavender11 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Wow - well done. The change is fabulous!
  • juliana1977
    juliana1977 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Wow!! Congratulations to you and also to your wife! Stick together! You look very good!
  • bhonniered
    Options
    The wife is very shy, but I'll brag on her a bit. She dropped 35 lbs, and is now wearing size 2 or 4 pants (depending on brand). She is still working out with me, and I'm slowly getting her to start banging iron, so she can add some muscle mass to boost her metabolism.

That is awesome! Nice that both of you have had such great success - thanks for sharing!
  • Sheila_KI
    Sheila_KI Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I love your story. How amazing and to do it together. Awesome
  • DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    Amazing! Congratulations to you and your wife!!!

D
  • skinnyack
    skinnyack Posts: 683
    Options
    First of all- Thank you for what you do!
    Second of all Congrats! (to you and the wife!)
    Third- thank you for reminding us that poor eating choices (like starving when we were younger) can really hurt us BUT that we can overcome that through persistence and patience and treating our bodies right.

You have an amazing story, very well written! You should definitely submit it to a magazine.:drinker: Cheers to you my friend!
  • ewarm24
    ewarm24 Posts: 29
    Options
    amazing story man, i am in a similar boat with weight, i was stuck at 210 for about 3 months eating 2000 cal, and i had a friend tell me to up it to 3000cal and he showed me this program to cut weight so i am trying it, this is my first week back down to 2400 cal and last week i was down to 206lbs from upping my cal intake, my one year will be on feb 14th, my goal is 195lb by then. but when i turn 30 i want to have that 6 pack and 18inch arms as well. i almost have 18s but im sure it will shrink when i start my slim down. but amazing story, really inspired me.
  • DeepSeaDoc_Wife
    DeepSeaDoc_Wife Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Way to go, you look great!!!
  • highgear
    Options
    I had my bf checked at the local Rec Center. Three position skin fold caliper test put me at 8.7% bf. I think it is a bit low, but it is a good benchmark. Thanks for your replies. If anyone can tell me the proper way to get photos to post I'd change those links to actual pictures.

Thanks,
    Bryan
  • mymelody_78
    mymelody_78 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Great transformation and story! Keep it up!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!