Looking for advice on Macro %'s

Options
I'm 5ft 2", 33 & currently weigh 213lbs (down from 218) - I am aiming to lose another 82lbs at a rate of 1 - 1.5lb a week , any advice will be very welcome.

Breakfast - 2 or 3 eggs scrambled with mushrooms (usually 6 medium sized ones), sometimes I have tinned tomatoes with that too & if I only use 2 eggs I have a banana as well.

Lunch - Seed/nut bar (9bar) & fruit for lunch (banana if I haven't had 1 with breakfast, or apple and grapes generally)

Evening meal I either have soup, chicken with stir-fried veg, tuna with a small-medium baked potato & 2 or 3 veg or salad with cold meats.

I never seem to get near my protein target............. should I worry about that? and if so what are some good ways to add more protein without adding more fat? My daily calorie goal is 1340 with Macros of 50% carbs (168), 25% protein (84) & 25% fat (37) are these possibly too high/too low?

Oh and generally speaking I don't eat anything between my meals.

Replies

• MadTownD
    MadTownD Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Buy some nuts and snack on them during the day. Also, I eat Kind Dark Chocolate and Peanut Butter + Protein bars. They are awesome. And, greek yogurt. 14 gms of protein. :-)
  • GeordieGirl80s
    GeordieGirl80s Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Thanks Don, I do sometimes have maybe 10 almonds & 10 hazelnuts and occasionally a few pecan halves but I worry about them putting me over on my % for fat.

Thanks shy, I'll have a look at those.
  • MadTownD
    MadTownD Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Thanks Don, I do sometimes have maybe 10 almonds & 10 hazelnuts and occasionally a few pecan halves but I worry about them putting me over on my % for fat.

Thanks shy, I'll have a look at those.

Well, I see a nutritionist, and one of the problems with MFP is it doesn't really distinguish between good fats and not as good fats. The fats in nuts are actually good fats... they raise your good cholesterol.

:happy:
  • Hiennn
    Hiennn Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    The iifym.com suggestion above is a good one that does all the math for you but if you want a bit more information and better understanding of the calculations, check out this link:
    http://www.healthylivingheavylifting.com/how-to-calculate-macros-for-cutting/
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Looking at your diary your are logging a lot of exercise calories and not eating them back.

If you are doing a lot of exercise and eating a low calorie diet (which you appear to be doing) protein becomes more important for muscle recovery and repair, especially if you are strength training.

Greek yoghurt, cottage cheese, milk, tuna, green veggies, edamame, chicken or turkey are all low cal ways to get a good protein boost.
  • GeordieGirl80s
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I'll look at/into these suggestions....... KarenJanine, do I have to eat back exercise calories? As I said in OP I tend not to eat between meals (this used to be a habit of mine & I'm trying really hard only to eat when I'm hungry now), I sometimes have a snack about half an hour before bed if I feel hungry, this often used to be biscuits but I'm turning that around to healthier options too.
  • Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    Based on the stuff I buy. Could vary depending on brand.

CHicken breast (23 grams per 4 oz serving) Great value walmart 110 calories
    Canned Tuna(20 grams per can) 90 calories great value walmart
    Greek yogurt ( I do fage 0. 23 grams per cup) 130 calories per cup
    Nonfat milk(9 grams of protein per cup) 90 calories per cup
    Canned chicken breast(23 grams per can) 2.5 serving around 110 calories I believe... unsure... its walmart great value
    Protein powder(30 .grams of protein per scoop. I use Walmart body fortress) 170 calories...usually at with greek yogurt and get 53 grams of protein in one serving.
    Quinoa(6 grams of protein) 160 per 1/4 dried
    Beans,,, I do lentils (10 grams of protein and green peas 9 grams per 1/4 dried serving) 80 per 1/4 dried and 90 for green peas.
    Eggs... due to kind of high cholesterol I do eggwhites instead... Sad about that. lol)

All low fat as I rarely hit or come near my fat macro.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I'll look at/into these suggestions....... KarenJanine, do I have to eat back exercise calories? As I said in OP I tend not to eat between meals (this used to be a habit of mine & I'm trying really hard only to eat when I'm hungry now), I sometimes have a snack about half an hour before bed if I feel hungry, this often used to be biscuits but I'm turning that around to healthier options too.

MFP has calculated a calorie deficit into your goal so you would lose weight if you didn't exercise at all. Therefore when you are exercising you are creating a larger calorie deficit, which on the surface may seem like a good thing as you may lose more weight, but in reality this could lead to poor energy levels, difficulty adhering to the diet, and muscle loss, which in turn can result in decreased metabolism.

Therefore it is recommended that you eat back at least some exercise calories.
  • GeordieGirl80s
    Options

MFP has calculated a calorie deficit into your goal so you would lose weight if you didn't exercise at all. Therefore when you are exercising you are creating a larger calorie deficit, which on the surface may seem like a good thing as you may lose more weight, but in reality this could lead to poor energy levels, difficulty adhering to the diet, and muscle loss, which in turn can result in decreased metabolism.

Therefore it is recommended that you eat back at least some exercise calories.

Really sorry I hadn't checked to see if there had been any more replies. Thanks KJ :) I will make an effort to eat back around 1/2 of my exercise calories from now on.