Why don't I have muscles???

Options
Ok, slight exaggeration there - we all have muscles.

This is specifically a push-up question. I've never been able to do many push-ups. I decided to try and follow a 100 push-up challenge. Things went well for about 3 weeks. I followed the programme, increased as suggested and was good about doing them every second day (as the programme told you to). And then it was like I hit a brick wall. Not only was I unable to move onto the following week, I seemed to start going backwards!

I started back on March 3rd (so just over 2 months ago) and I've done pushups pretty much every second day since then. Why am I not getting better?

Replies

• rogerOb1
    rogerOb1 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Not sure what your specific issue is, but you could always try a push up cheat. Start in the normal push up position and do pulses (slightly flex at the elbow - you can feel your chest engage, but minimal range of motion)
  • RoseyDgirl
    RoseyDgirl Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    It might work back into a diet and fuel answer. If your muscles refuse to perform, what are you feeding them? Are they getting enough protein?
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Are you in a calorie deficit?
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    Are you in a calorie deficit?

was about to ask this. are you in a significant calorie deficit? if so, you're probably just not fueling your body enough.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Hey OP, calling this place "Fatty Facebook" on your profile isn't very nice.

Also, you have zero food in your food diary, if you arent' eating or can't be bothered to log what you eat, you're probably not eating enough.

Also, looking at your ticker you seem to like to push your body to its limits, do you think you hurt yourself and that's why you can't do them anymore?
  • cindyb327
    cindyb327 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    are you working out at gym or using free weights? need to build up muscles ie biceps, chest, upper back...also abdominal! :smile:
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    because you've never used them Trinity.......

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

\m/
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    to gain strength, do a programme like starting strength or stronglifts 5x5.

or, if you're going to do push-ups, then you need one where you have progressive increases in the amount of resistance, e.g. start with regular push-ups (or even knees on the floor push-ups if need be) then when you can do 8, make it a more difficult variety, e.g. by raising your feet off the ground, and raising them higher and higher. This increases the amount of resistance rather than doing the same exercise at the same weight over and over (which will make you very good at that particular exercise, but won't increase your strength beyond a certain point)
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    TIL that I have no sense of humor if i do not think fatty facebook is funny.
  • spicegeek
    spicegeek Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    you are possibly not doing the push ups correctly - OR - you are doing them with better form each time hence the number of staying the same - record your form
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    1. Because you're using a less-than-optimal program to attain them?

2. Because you're eating at a deficit and it's impossible/difficult at a deficit?

3. Because karma?

It's one or more of these.
  • Tricep_A_Tops_
    Tricep_A_Tops_ Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    The answer is simple, when you are only using your body weight as resistance your body will get use to it regardless of how many pushups you do. You need to implement a weight training program and also eat at a calorie surplus. If you're not gaining fat you're not gaining muscle.
  • Xiaolongbao
    Xiaolongbao Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    It might work back into a diet and fuel answer. If your muscles refuse to perform, what are you feeding them? Are they getting enough protein?

Thanks for the suggestion. I did wonder this myself so I added an extra 30g of protein a day into my diet (a protein shake). I also eat a lot of beans and plant protein. I guess it still could be an issue.
    The answer is simple, when you are only using your body weight as resistance your body will get use to it regardless of how many pushups you do.

But this is the problem. I thought my body would get used to them and I'd be able to do more... but I just seem to have stopped improving.
    you are possibly not doing the push ups correctly - OR - you are doing them with better form each time hence the number of staying the same - record your form

Interesting idea. And I do think my form has improved - well I'm going a lot deeper than I was originally. So maybe I'll start to be able to do more if I stick with this level a bit longer.
  • Xiaolongbao
    Options
    Hey OP, calling this place "Fatty Facebook" on your profile isn't very nice.

Also, you have zero food in your food diary, if you arent' eating or can't be bothered to log what you eat, you're probably not eating enough.

Also, looking at your ticker you seem to like to push your body to its limits, do you think you hurt yourself and that's why you can't do them anymore?

Sorry that you aren't amused by Fatty Facebook. Oh well, can't please everyone.

I have zero food in my diary because I've kind of given up on logging. If you go back 18 months or so then I was logging all the time. I know I should log blah blah blah but I'm not. But hey, at least I'm still here. Sadly not eating enough is definitely not my problem. The one thing no one has every accused me of is undereating. I doubt I'm at any kind of deficit, my weight has hovered around 60kg for almost a year now.

The picture on my ticker isn't really about pushing my body to the limit. It's about deciding to walk 220km with a pack on my back even though I'd done no training, never walked a long distance with a pack and had no real idea what I was doing. Cue giant blisters, very sore feet and a life lesson learned.
  • Xiaolongbao
    Options
    or, if you're going to do push-ups, then you need one where you have progressive increases in the amount of resistance, e.g. start with regular push-ups (or even knees on the floor push-ups if need be) then when you can do 8, make it a more difficult variety, e.g. by raising your feet off the ground, and raising them higher and higher. This increases the amount of resistance rather than doing the same exercise at the same weight over and over (which will make you very good at that particular exercise, but won't increase your strength beyond a certain point)

Thanks for the suggestion. Maybe this will be the way to go.

I'm not particularly trying to achieve anything - I just thought it would be nice to be the sort of person that could drop to the ground and do 20 pushups. Perhaps varying the style of pushup will be a better idea.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    :huh:
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    If you are following the 100 pushups program you are developing muscle stamina, not strength after your muscles have got used to the movement.

If you want to increase push-up strength you need to stay with low reps and find a pushup variation where you can only do a small number of reps each set. Then maybe go back to the 100 pushups program and see if you can push out a few more.

The idea that you can only go so far with bodyweight exercises before your body strength plateaus is only true if you stay with basic movements.