HELP!

Options
nantobe
nantobe Posts: 5 Member
I am 53 and going through the change. I need help to stop the weight gain, it is out of control and I don't know what to do, HELP

Replies

• gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    I am 53 and going through the change. I need help to stop the weight gain, it is out of control and I don't know what to do, HELP

I'm 56 and when I started 2 years ago on MFP, I told myself that I would never lose either. But I did. The main thing to remember is to eat at a deficit, but not so great a deficit that you are not fueling your body properly for work outs and for health. The link below has some GREAT information and links that really helped me Good luck.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1175494-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

The one thing that has helped me the most was starting a strength training program. I had never really exercised in the last few years other than walking, so it seemed intimidating at first. But it has made the biggest difference in my body shape - even on the weeks when I've lost not a pound. I started with body weight strength training (NerdFitness.com) and then progressed to lifting heavy with Stronglifts 5x5 and now Wendler's 5/3/1. Start picking up heavy things. I feel 20 years younger than I did when I started 2 years ago.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    My aunts are in their 60's. My mom too. They arent' fat at all.

All they do is watch their portion sizes and walk regularly/stay active.
  • susanevenden
    Options

I'm 53 and definitely have found that it is hard to keep weight off. I can't indulge myself as much as I could 20 years ago. However, I have noticed that I spend more time sitting now than I did years ago. It became VERY obvious to me the week that I had my four grandchildren stay with me (all were under 5 at the time).

Things that I found that help me:

1. Find reasons to move, don't leave things at the bottom of the stairs to take up in one trip, take them each time.
    2. Stand more often
    3. Formalize your eating eg. Only eat at the dinner table, never eat standing etc.
    4. Walk, cycle or some other activity that is enjoyable. If you like it you will do it more often.
    5. Calories in/calories out. It's worked my whole life, I just have to work it more dutifully post menopause.

Feel free to friend me.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    I need somebody.
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    I need somebody.

Not just anybody.