Crossfit- how to track?

Options
Hi there, I am new to using my fitness pal.( I know my profile say Jan 2013 but I never just it until last week- yea i am a slacker) Just wondering how one would track a WOD?

Thanks

B

Replies

• KeepGoingKylene
    KeepGoingKylene Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I dont know for sure, so if anyone disagrees its ok, lol
    I have been thinking of starting cross fit soon and from what i know there is a bit of cardio as well correct? In my opinion I would just log the cardio as that is really the only part of it that is steadily keeping your heart rate up.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    circuit training
  • Flab2Fab27
    Flab2Fab27 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I use an HRM and just added it as cardio
  • lostladyoh
    lostladyoh Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have only been doing cross fit for 7 weeks, and I love it. My 210 butt struggles at times but it is so much fun :). I have been tracking as cardio plus noting the strength we did.

Not sure as to really how many minutes of cardio to put thou-- :(
  • ahemming1
    ahemming1 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    There is a CrossFit Love Group. If I remember correctly, this question was asked there...you may want to go look at the response.
    Personally, I created a WOD in my profile that adjusts with the time, but I keep the calories burned setting low. I'd rather be conservative.
  • lostladyoh
    lostladyoh Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks lol I will check it out :)
  • motox138
    motox138 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Do you have a link for this crossfit group? @ahemming1
    Im a BIG big girl and Im loving crossfit. Kicks my butt for sure, and I just imput it as cardio with my polar monitor. Can see a difference in 3 weeks already :) Im Hooked!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    It is very difficult to estimate calories burned from CrossFit since there are so many variables constantly changing. It is basically high intensity circuit training so you can use that estimate from MFP if you like.
    HRMs will likely give you an overinflated burn due to the intervals and the heavy lifting (which HRMs are not accurate for).

Personally, at 5'5 and 150lbs, I logged my own workout as between 200 and 300 calories, depending on the actual WOD and how hard the pre-WOD workout was.
  • Lavitabella174
    Lavitabella174 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have been doing crossfit for a few months now and usually track it as cardio. I've used my garmin a bunch of times to see how many calories I burn but it varies, some days it is 500 and some days it is as little as 150 depending upon what we are focusing on.

However, when we do olympic lifting then I actually track it as weight lifting.

For me though, I don't count calories as close anymore and really enjoy my workouts and exercise. I used to worry so much about losing weight and looking good that I would go crazy counting everything only to fail horribly after a month. Now that I don't count as much and I enjoy my workouts I have been dropping pounds and really enjoying it all.

Plus the new crossfit addiction doesn't hurt either :)
  • dammitjanet0161
    dammitjanet0161 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Circuit training, or there are also 'calisthenics heavy effort' and 'calisthenics light effort' entry in the database. This is what I used at first to input my crossfit-inspired circuit classes before I discovered the circuit training entry, doh! I guess if any WOD was mainly weights-based you could use weight-training.

Now I'm thinking seriously of getting a HRM anyway.
  • Michelebecker
    Michelebecker Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I wear a heart rate monitor... unless it is a super-relaxed day I burn between 450-550 calories/hour. Some days it is close to 600 but is never below 400. Hope that helps and I LOVE having my heart rate monitor on while I work out. I like seeing real-time how much I have burned and it has really motivated me to work out. I have a Polar F7, which was right around $100 and worth every penny!