Can't seem to get enough protein

Options
2»

Replies

• CynthiaNegron
    Options
    I am definitely trying to increase our vegetarian protein sources. Too much meat does have negative effects, regardless of the latest trends might say. We eat edamame, tofu, cheeses, nuts, hummus, beans, etc. but my goal isn't that high. What makes you think you need that much protein? Not a criticism, just curiosity. My goal is 30% calories from protein, but I don't really pay attention to total grams.
  • tk2222
    tk2222 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I struggle to hit 100g too - chicken, eggs, cheeses (yellow, cottage, quark,) and a lot of canned tuna. If i'm really short by the end of the day, i'll just eat a can of tuna with a bit of mustard or cottage cheese or something, but I admit i'm beginning to get a little tired of it.
  • SlightlyMadman
    SlightlyMadman Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I have trouble hitting mine too (and rarely do), but I have to remind myself that I haven't failed just because I didn't reach it. For weight loss, calories are really the most important factor. I think the goals on here may be a bit high for people who aren't strength training, but it's good to have a goal to strive for, and high-protein foods definitely fill you up longer and tend to have fewer calories.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    My goal is anywhere from 180-220 g a day depending on exercise.

I hit it pretty easily with skinless chicken breast & eggs as mainstay.

Cottage cheese, dannon light & fit 2x protein yogart, and "Life choice" protein barsthat are 21-22g per bar.

Fish is also a awesome source.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Your protein goal is ridiculous. 196g a day?
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    I go for 165-170 g per day and I do eat meat and all the stuff you do. I usually have to supplement with a protein shake to hit my target. I don't mind it though. I just mix some powder with coconut milk (about 8 ounces) and drink it in a blender bottle while I'm driving to my workout and drink the other half after. Sorry. I can't make myself eat any more meat/eggs or cottage cheese and I have an inflammatory response to too much nuts. I already eat Greek yogurt, nuts, and meat 2-3 x per day every day blah blah blah. I would way rather just slurp down the shake than look at another chicken breast.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options

Why is her protein goal ridiculous? My guess is she has it set to 1 g per pound body weight and then MFP adjusts it up when she adds in her exercise cals. She never said what her real goal is. Maybe it's just 1 g/pound and MFP has adjusted it for her.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    chicken, eggs, steak, pork, greek yogurt, egg whites, cottage cheese etc..

my diary is open if you want to browse it..

oh, and there is not such thing as "metabolic training" that is just a gimmick to get you to spend money on a product...
  • lobotomyx
    lobotomyx Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Even being vegan, I manage to get plenty of protein. If you drink anything other than water, protein drinks, and high-protein non-dairy milk, forget 'em. Some protein sources in my diet are quinoa, beans/legumes, nuts and nut butters, tofu, soy milk, mushrooms, and veggies. Don't underestimate the importance of mushrooms and veggies! They're extremely low-calorie and can provide a surprising amount of protein. Eat a variety of veggies and you'll have natural multivitamins. Oh, I also love soy sauce as flavoring, which adds a few extra grams of protein.

Obviously, eggs and lean meats/fish are also great protein sources that you should consider adding more of to your diet.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

Why is her protein goal ridiculous? My guess is she has it set to 1 g per pound body weight and then MFP adjusts it up when she adds in her exercise cals. She never said what her real goal is. Maybe it's just 1 g/pound and MFP has adjusted it for her.

because OP is a 36 year old female..

and most say that you should get one gram of protein for each pound of lean muscle mass …

for comparison I am 34 year old male that lifts heavy and I shoot for between 190 to 210 a day ….
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options

Because multiple studies show that protein intake 0.64g/lb has little additional positive effect in training or body composition, barring being a elite strength athlete or taking anabolic steroids - and even they can't get better effect from 0.8g/lb.
  • Rogiefreida
    Rogiefreida Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I've found a great way to get adequate protein is to make protein priority 1 in my meals, followed by fat, then by carbs. I have a lot more success hitting my macros than just playing it by ear. You can use whatever sources of protein you like.
    High protein goals do typically require supplementation via bars or powders. I'm not really understanding why you don't want to take them since the benefits usually outweigh any potential negatives, as long as they aren't your whole diet. Ultimately it's your call if you want to take them or not, but there are many worse things you can put into your body than that. I sometimes can hit my goal without supplementing, but usually I'm on the run or pressed for time and that's when they come in handy and are a better choice for me than grabbing fast food..
  • RunnerStephe
    RunnerStephe Posts: 2,195
    Options
    I started using whey, just to get away from having to eat so much meat. I don't see why you'd want to avoid it.