Heart rate monitors

Options
chunt87
chunt87 Posts: 161 Member
Can anyone recommend a good heart rate monitor that can help me track calories burned doing things like weight training and aerobics classes?

I do not want a watch--I have a fitbit for that. I want something I can easily put around myself to track my heart rate that can sync to my phone or computer because I am a beginner and feel like I am getting generous calorie estimates on here for things like zumba, running, spinning, etc.

Replies

• xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Most HRM will have some sort of watch or device to see the HR (eg: "monitor")...
    that being said - anything by Polar is great, but only some of them sync online/to a computer.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Most HRMs will consist of a chest strap which sends data to a wrist watch. Some of the higher end models sync to computers etc.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    HRMs aren't designed for weight training - the energy expended in weight training isn't related to heart rate.

I don't sync my HRM (Polar FT7) so can't help with your question but have a look at http://www.polar.com/uk-en/products

Edit to add - online calculators for running and walking are likely to be at least as accurate as a HRM. For anything but steady state cardio then HRM accuracy isn't likely to be great.
  • Dozer71
    Dozer71 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Polar and Wahoo both have HRM that connect to smart phones so no watch needed. As has been said earlier, the calorie burn calculation is generally suitable for steady state cardio. However they are good to tell you hard you are going and recovery rate when doing HIIT.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Love my Polar FT7. Can highly recommend it.
  • davmeis
    davmeis Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I use the Under Armour 39. It is a chest strap and links to an app on my phone (doesn't download to the computer though). I've used it for basketball, weight training, running, and while doing P90x3. It seems to be a little more expensive than the others ($99) but I like it and haven't had any issues using it for the last 4 months
  • SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    You can download the polar beat app to iPhone and some android phones for free and combined with the polar H7 heart strap it records your heart beat and calories...
    Stef.
  • 101sal
    101sal Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    A HRM will help you target the ideal zone for fat burn which is normally 65 - 75% of your maximum heart rate, aim to exercise in this zone and it will fly off for you ! I use a timex ironman watch/chest strap combo which you cannot sync unfortunately but i do keep a log in excel so no problem for me. Not the best answer but just trying to help.:happy:
  • Fit4LifeJulie
    Fit4LifeJulie Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar WearLink Bluetooth that syncs to my Android and I use it all the time when running and for other workouts. I bought it from amazon a few years ago for around $75. The now have a newer model F7 http://www.amazon.com/Polar-Bluetooth-Smart-Heart-Sensor/dp/B007S088F4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1399737074&sr=8-1&keywords=polar+wearlink+bluetooth
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,667 Member
    Options
    A HRM will help you target the ideal zone for fat burn which is normally 65 - 75% of your maximum heart rate, aim to exercise in this zone and it will fly off for you ! I use a timex ironman watch/chest strap combo which you cannot sync unfortunately but i do keep a log in excel so no problem for me. Not the best answer but just trying to help.:happy:
    Exercise is for fitness and health. Diet is for weight loss. While scientifically there is a heart rate zone that burns more fat for energy, the duration one would have to do to equal exercise calorie count in a higher zone (85% and higher) would be much much longer. And calories are what count most. What most people don't know is that one burns more fat at rest and sleep than a 1-2 hour session of "fat burning zone" exercise.
    Work on raising RMR to burn more fat.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

Except....no
  • 101sal
    Options
    flying off me so disagree sorry , but i guess its a case of what works for you :-)
  • 101sal
    Options
    working in the target zone works for me and 11kg lost is proof for me :-)
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    HRMs aren't designed for weight training - the energy expended in weight training isn't related to heart rate.

I don't sync my HRM (Polar FT7) so can't help with your question but have a look at http://www.polar.com/uk-en/products

Edit to add - online calculators for running and walking are likely to be at least as accurate as a HRM. For anything but steady state cardio then HRM accuracy isn't likely to be great.

^Agreed. HRMs are designed for steady rate cardio. It even says so on the product. It's not meant to be used to figure out strength training, HIIT, yoga, many dvd type workouts and such.

Some interesting reading/info on HRMs

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1044313-this-is-why-hrms-have-limited-use-for-tracking-calories

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    working in the target zone works for me and 11kg lost is proof for me :-)

Wait, you didn't have a calorie deficit or anything??
  • chunt87
    Options
    Have any of you tried the wahoo tickr. I like the idea of setting something up and then looking at it later in my workout or being able to watch it while I am on the treadmill. I have just been getting really frustrated because I spend alot of time in the gym and have been having a calorie deficit with no poundage lost (theres health issues there too) and thought something like this could help me.
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    Have any of you tried the wahoo tickr. I like the idea of setting something up and then looking at it later in my workout or being able to watch it while I am on the treadmill. I have just been getting really frustrated because I spend alot of time in the gym and have been having a calorie deficit with no poundage lost (theres health issues there too) and thought something like this could help me.

Are you using a food scale to measure your food? Are you consistently logging everything you eat/drink and doing it every day?

ETA: A fitbit will calculate the overall burn and such. Do you feel this is exaggerated or something?
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    get a bodymedia device. it will track your exercise cals AND your non exercise cals. even if you get the exercise cals perfect there's still 23 hours left in the day to get right.

.......orrrrrrr, closely monitor your food intake (weigh and log every bite) and if you're not progressing reduce your cals by 200. you don't need hyperaccurate calorie counts, you just need consistency
  • chunt87
    Options
    I was looking at the H7 as well. I like the idea of just something that connects to my phone and saves the data so I can use it later or view it at the time like if I am on the treadmill
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    get a bodymedia device. it will track your exercise cals AND your non exercise cals. even if you get the exercise cals perfect there's still 23 hours left in the day to get right.

.......orrrrrrr, closely monitor your food intake (weigh and log every bite) and if you're not progressing reduce your cals by 200. you don't need hyperaccurate calorie counts, you just need consistency

^All of the above.