Skin Care

Options
jorda13456
jorda13456 Posts: 62 Member
Hi,

I'm not sure if this belongs here but I need help for skin care.
Yeah I admit I drink a lot of juice and eat sugary stuff but I stopped doing that like 12 days ago and i've been drinking more water and eating more healthy.

I started at 179 pounds, got to 175 and when I checked again i'm currently 172. I'm active more , I exercise, I ride my bike etc.

Question: My face i'm black but I was brown skin as I was younger and as I got older I ate alot of junk food and my pores are just crazy and my skin is like darker and lighter around the face and I noticed a lot of holes on my face and dark spots but I never realized this as much until today when I researched what the holes are.

You get these from sugar, juice and stuff. They are pores and my pores and showing a lot.

What do I need to use for my skin to even out cause it's really frustrating having two tone skins meaning darker and lighter, I just want 1 tone either one I don't really care but i'm trying to get clear skin and be healthy overall.

After some research I saw that:
Witch Hazel is good for your skin and closing pores etc.
Lemons and Oranges applying the juice on your face should help
Drinking water
eating healthy

Is there anymore suggestions?

- I can't take a picture cause you can't really notice in a picture ^_^.

pls help

Replies

• tracydr
    tracydr Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Retin A, a prescription would be the only thing I can think of that might help. Perhaps in conjunction with a few other prescription tropicals. If I were you, I'd see a dermatologist, there are some laser and light techniques that can help, too.
  • jorda13456
    Options
    I'll see if I can find Retin A in shoppers drug mart, hopefully it's not too expensive .
  • preciousIam
    preciousIam Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    A bit of information I buy this from Puritan Pride. They usually have a special you buy one and get two free. It has worked well with me since my huge weight loss.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I don't know how to respond to this. You can't change pore size. But, you can keep your face clean and clear and exfoliated.

I don't have these issues. But, my skin is not dry and I need to keep it clean and clear.

You can use a face wash with salicylic acid or glycolic acid. I like Neutrogena acne wash 2% (grapefruit scented is my favorite).

An astringent with salicylic acid. I like biore 2%.

An exfoliator that you can use a few times a week. I use G.M. Collins.

Then I use B.Kamins acne gel with 5% benzoyl peroxide. It is gentle and moisturizing. The drug store stuff has a lower concentration, but is drying and irritating for me.

You do want to prevent just causing skin inflammation because that will back fire.

Then I use a gentle eye cream. I have one from Fresh (black tea). I haven't tried it yet. Basically anything that is gentle and fragrance free and not full of allergens.

Then I use a light and gentle moisturizer. I'm using cleanance from Avene. I am in Canada. I can get that at the drug store. There is nothing special about it. It's just a light moisturizer for sensitive skin.

I don't wear make-up. Just Fresh Sugar tinted lip balm with spf.

I use vichy spf for my face. It is light and effective.

Some people say that skin care products with alpha lipoic acid can potentially reduce pore size. Personally I find that simple (but well made) stuff works best. The stuff I use works for me. Different people find different things that work.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Your pores appear larger when they are not clean.

Witch hazel is not going to clear your pores or shrink them if they still have dirt/debris in them.

Saliciylic acid is for acne which i don't hear you saying you have?

I think all you need it a good face wash that cleans your pores which does NOT have to have acid or dry you out.

Go get a facial, they can be extremely cheap at beauty schools and see what they recommend. That way you'll know if your skin is dry or oily, etc.

For now I'd try something emmollient and creamy as a cleanser to really get in and dissolve those clogged pores. I'd use a toner (like witch hazel) after wards. I would then moisturize to keep your pores from overproducing and reclogging your pores.

Don't expect overnight results but in a pretty short time you should see improvement.

I would not start off the bat with any of the "problem" treatments described above b/c I don't think you have any kind of serious problem. If you really beleive you do, see a dermatologist b/c starting with targeted skin care for problems can lead to problems if you are using the wrong thing for what you have.

(once a week you might want to try a mild and gentle exfoliator and use it briefly and gently. If your skin tolerates the once a week well and is not dry, or irritated it would be okay to try a second time a week.

Overall you have no major problems with your skin, don't create them by going too aggressive with what is now just a minor cleansing issue.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    I don't have acne, and never have. My skin is very clear.

I use salicylic acid and glycolic acid for the deep cleaning and exfoliating properties to prevent clogged pores (so I do not get the occasional blemish). They are also antioxidants.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    I don't have acne.

I use salicylic acid and glycolic acid for the deep cleaning and exfoliating properties to prevent clogged pores. They are also antioxidants.

any of those would burn my face if i used them right now.

I don't know the condition of OP's overall skin and just think she should start mild.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    I don't have acne.

I use salicylic acid and glycolic acid for the deep cleaning and exfoliating properties to prevent clogged pores. They are also antioxidants.

I don't know the condition of OP's overall skin and just think she should start mild.

Yeah, I know, I do agree. She should start gentle. That stuff used to be irritating to my skin. But, for some reason works now. The specific products I use work for me. But, other brands were irritating to an extreme degree.

Glycolic acid is more gentle, comes from fruit, and is intended for exfoliation and anti-aging. The effective amounts are more in the range of 10%. So lower concentrations would be gentle.

I know this works for me personally. And is not for everyone.

And, my skin is not dry at all. So, what I do would never work for someone that has dry skin.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    I don't have acne.

Yeah, I know, I do agree. She should start gentle. That stuff used to be irritating to my skin. But, for some reason works now. The specific products I use work for me. But, other brands were irritating to an extreme degree.

same here. my skin has become sensitive lately and it's hit or miss which brands will irritate it and even within a brand some things are fine while others are not. mostly though that's gonna be the case for anyone maybe not with burning but just with overall satisfaction b/c most brands have many lines tailored for different skin types/problems/uses. That's why I think an aesthetician will be able to interview her best unless she just goes straight to a doctor. I feel like any sales person will just try to "fit" her with whatever they have on hand, and like a dermatologist might not be necessary. but a good aesthetician should be able to recommend the basics that would suit her needs.

ETA: or at least they can inform her what her skin type is so she can go to the store with a little info about her skin.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    Yeah, that can be a good help. And through trial and error, finding what works. It can be so frustrating, till a person finds what works for them.
  • WVmom24
    WVmom24 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Look up turmeric face masks....works wonders for my skin and is good for all skin types. The one I use (for oily skin) is a tsp of turmeric powder (bought in the spice aisle at any grocery store), 1/2c of plain yogurt, and a pinch of wheat flour (to thicken it). Keep it on for at least 20 minutes and then rinse. There are many more turmeric face mask recipes online as well. :)
  • lgtahoe
    lgtahoe Posts: 96
    Options
    The uneven skin coloring sounds like hyperpigmentation, which is rarely an issue of diet, but is more likely due to sun damage or hormonal issues (often birth control or pregnancy). If it's hormonal, it will usually go away after the pregnancy or if you stopped using birth control. If it's sun damage, you may need chemical peels to see improvement. Black skin tends to be sensitive to pigmentation. I would suggest seeing an experienced esthetician (not a beauty school) or cosmetic dermatologist who can recommend a course of action. Stay away from laser treatments as they can cause hypopigmentation (white spots which are permanent and cannot be removed with treatment).
  • jorda13456
    Options
    Thanks for the help everyone, still confused since I have so many replies and options but I guess i'll try a few for a while and see what happens then i'll see a dermatologist
  • lemon629
    lemon629 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Witch hazel is horrible for your skin!!!
    Check out the articles and Q&As on cosmeticscop.com. The "cosmetics cop" is Paula Begoun, a journalist who specialized in the cosmetics industry. She keeps up with all the latest research and reviews products. Lots of good information on that site. She also sells products with an excellent return policy. I've used her products for years. Her BHA products are especially good.
  • ErnestDecker
    Options
    To get clear skin eat green leafy vegetables in your diet, avoid alcohol, smoke, always keep your hands off your skin, be sure to get enough sleep, use toner after washing your face that will clean pores, wash pillowcases once a week. Even though you if you did not get good result then visit a dermatologist.
  • trying_to_burn
    Options
    Hey,

I too have patchy skin. It's just the way you were made. My dark skin is around my mouth. Unfortunately there is not a lot you can do about it.

Try lush products for the pores :)
  • ErnestDecker
    Options
    Cleanse your face well after a long day of work. Do this by using an oil or cream to remove make-up and wash your face with a gentle face wash. It is very important to moisturize your skin - use oil or cream of your choice, Aloe Vera gel is ideal for a dry skin.
    I also suggest you a home remedy.
    In 1 tablespoonful of yogurt add 8-10 drops of lemon juice. Mix well and apply as a night cream. You can add a drop of Lavender or Rose oil to this. Apply on the neck as well. Lemon juice is great for lightening skin, if your skin cannot tolerate lemon juice use tomato puree instead.