Diet Supplements; to recommend, or not to recommend

Options
I was just wondering if any of my fellow MFP's use any diet supplements. Do we like them, hate them??? If we like them, which one's do you recommend and why? If we hate them, why? Thanks for your advice.

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,720 Member
    Options
    Why use a diet supplement? Using one doesn't teach you how to eat right or learn portion control. And unless you're willing to use it for life, then any advantage (little if any) will be lost once you stop. Which is why 90% of all people that use them gain weight back, which is EXACTLY what the diet industry wants.
    And NO SUPPLEMENT works without one reducing their calories anyway.................which you can do for FREE.

Think lifestyle here, not short term.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    they are all mostly bogus. just people trying to make money in the diet industry by giving people false hope. sure, a few of them may help slightly, but the negatives are hardly worth it

the only time it would be worth your while is if you have a really low bf% and want to go lower, otherwise stick to proper diet and exercise
  • mcspiffy88
    mcspiffy88 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I love my fish oil capsules. Took a few tries to get the right brand that doesnt make me burp and stuff but totally worth it.. I had some issues with heart arythmia now I barely notice any issues after started taking it. Not exactly sure if it benefits my weight loss but oh well.

Other than that I just pop a multivit here and there.
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    I was just wondering if any of my fellow MFP's use any diet supplements. Do we like them, hate them??? If we like them, which one's do you recommend and why? If we hate them, why? Thanks for your advice.

I take a lot of dietary supplements and have done so for a number of years. All are taken for very specific purposes. I don't take any dietary supplements specifically aimed at weight loss. All have been carefully researched yet I continue to research, adjust doses, watch for side effects and modify as required. Traveling with a lot of dietary supplements can be a nuisance but I've developed a few strategies. It's not easy finding certain ones if I run out when traveling so I'm always well stocked. I'm not always pleased with the cost but I am pleased with the results.
  • nikkiworld2
    nikkiworld2 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Why use a diet supplement? Using one doesn't teach you how to eat right or learn portion control. And unless you're willing to use it for life, then any advantage (little if any) will be lost once you stop. Which is why 90% of all people that use them gain weight back, which is EXACTLY what the diet industry wants.
    And NO SUPPLEMENT works without one reducing their calories anyway.................which you can do for FREE.

Think lifestyle here, not short term.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
    Great to hear back from a trainer. That's what I kinda thought, but I was just curious since I'm not an expert. Constantly being bombarded with all these diet aids all over the internet. I just had to ask. Thanks.
  • nikkiworld2
    Options
    they are all mostly bogus. just people trying to make money in the diet industry by giving people false hope. sure, a few of them may help slightly, but the negatives are hardly worth it

the only time it would be worth your while is if you have a really low bf% and want to go lower, otherwise stick to proper diet and exercise
    That's not my problem - yet. (Having a really low bf%.) LOL.
  • nikkiworld2
    Options
    I love my fish oil capsules. Took a few tries to get the right brand that doesnt make me burp and stuff but totally worth it.. I had some issues with heart arythmia now I barely notice any issues after started taking it. Not exactly sure if it benefits my weight loss but oh well.

Now, what do the fish oil capsules do? Are they an appetite suppressant, or do they speed up metabolism? How do they help in your weight loss efforts?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

Now, what do the fish oil capsules do? Are they an appetite suppressant, or do they speed up metabolism? How do they help in your weight loss efforts?

Fish oil is a diet-ary supplement. Not an aid to losing weight, just a dose of healthy fish oil (heart health).
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I like chicken breast. I find chicken breast is an excellent dietary supplement.
  • lemur_lady
    lemur_lady Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I would recommend protein powder. I would definately recommend you stay the hell away from alli.
  • GreatDepression
    GreatDepression Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    The ones that have shown to work are strong stimulents that require intense exercise.
  • mcspiffy88
    mcspiffy88 Posts: 90 Member
    Options

They have no direct effect on weight loss, its some capsules of fat. They are othwerwise very good for you being a healthy form of fat. I havent noticed any effect on my appetite because of them if thats what you are thinking.

You can read up on them here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omega-3_fatty_acid
  • brammers1979
    Options
    I would recommend protein powder. I would definately recommend you stay the hell away from alli.

why stay away from alli?
    what does protein powder achieve?

If I don't ask I'll just wonder :)
  • jkfit2589
    jkfit2589 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hydroxycut is the only one that does anything for me. But beware of the side effects, especially since it can upset your stomach. Stay hydrated when you take it.
  • GreatDepression
    GreatDepression Posts: 347 Member
    Options

why stay away from alli?
    what does protein powder achieve?

If I don't ask I'll just wonder :)

Alli is fine if you actually watch the fat content in your diet and to keep it low. Many people who use Alli/Orlistat continue to eat junk food high in fat which is why it gets a really bad rep. You will experience the negative side effects if you eat too much fat in one sitting. Alli's aid in fat loss is minimal though.
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Get blood work done. See if you need any supplements (women tend to be low in potassium, iron and magnesium) that way you'll KNOW if you need to supplement while changing your diet to fill in any gaps in your nutrition. As for diet pill? No bueno IMHO.
  • YorriaRaine
    YorriaRaine Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I think real foods are better, however I do use supplements for certain things.

I use protein powder because I have a hard time reaching protein some days and I think it taste yummy. Chocolate protein shakes are ungodly good to me, also are great in fruit smoothies.

I also take flax seed oil in the morning and fish oil at night because I hate fish and I'm not a huge fan of flax seed either. However, I take these for dry eyes, which it helps with a ton after you consistently take them for about a month.