Calling all emotional binge eaters

Options
Hi there :smile: I am an emotional binge eater… I don’t mean that I eat some chocolate when I am feeling down, I mean that I will eat ridiculous amounts of food in one sitting. I will eat until I feel sick, because I never really feel ‘full’.

I had my binging under control for more than 12 months (lost over 60lbs), but on starting a new job a few months ago I let the stress get the better of me.

I am determined to start fresh and get back on track, before I gain more weight back. I know I can do it, I don't want food to rule my life.

I would like meet other binge eaters, at any stage of the journey. I have come to realise that this is going to be a lifelong battle, would like to chat to others going through the same thing - hopefully we can support each other. I am a 30-something female with at least another 60lbs to lose.

Replies

• Casipowell
    Casipowell Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi,
    I'm right there with you. Sometimes I do so well, but at other times, especially when I stay up late at night and then realize how lonely or anxious I really am, I eat. Sometimes I eat dinner and start snacking right afterwards.

I was just sitting here on my bed thinking, "I need to join a group with bingers". Emotional or Anxious eating as I call it, is a problem for me as well.

How did you get it under control the first time?
  • AKNMHunt
    AKNMHunt Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    <--i am one. I ate a family size bag of funyons in one sitting. Recently too. I am working on it. I have been doing well, but it is hard. Being alone with two kids makes it worse, but at the same time, I cant just run out and get what I want and I am too lazy to cook the goodies I want.

I am a 24yr old with 20 to lose still. Feel free to add for motivation!! Post or message me when you feel a trigger and I will help talk you down and find a healthy solution. Anyone for that matter, I'd love to help!
  • nrida
    nrida Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I am also a binge eater, especially when I am emotionally overwhelm with something that is bothering me. When ever I feel stress I tend to hide or ignore the problem.

I am currently looking for another job....one that I will hopefully enjoy. I believe when one starts working, then food would be the last thing on the mind. From personal experience, finding things that give you joy or give you a break....helps, but its different for everyone.

But I would also like to find people also that struggle since I am still trying to control my eating habits.
  • quest2Bslim
    Options
    Thanks for your responses :smile: I think the first time my head was just in the right space, and nothing very stressful was happening at work or home. I do feel like am in the right place to start again, I just want to stick with it permanently this time, not fall off track every time something stressful comes up...
  • ahancock90
    ahancock90 Posts: 3
    Options
    I'm fighting that demon too. I'm still super fat, but I have found ways of cutting down on my eating. Here are some of the tips I've been using.

Your main meal is usually the most fattening. The key is SIDES. Lots of healthy sides. I get lowfat yogurt, string cheese, lots of fruit, almonds, etc. t was so hard for me to stop eating that yummy casserole, but I found that if I ate just one serving and added those sides I felt full...and I felt proud that I limited myself. Good luck. Hope that helps a little. #workinprogress
  • MrsC1st
    MrsC1st Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I sure could use some help in this department of binge/emotional eating. feel free to add me..i love to offer motivation also
  • Nory143
    Nory143 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain..there are days when I feel my stomach is an empty pit and nothing can fill it. I have gained and lost the same 30-60 pounds 5x in the last 8 years. Really hoping to control the demon this this time around. Every time I previously lost weight I always did low carb diets and the weight melted off...but as soon as I tasted anything like bread or a donut, I was like a drug addict and fell off the wagon. This is the first time I'm actually trying the calorie counting instead of the carb counting approach.The weight is coming off slowly but I feel a little more in control because I'm not really denying myself anything this time around. Good luck on your journey!
  • mabelbabel1
    mabelbabel1 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Hiya,

I'm an emotional binge eater....my profile tells more about my struggles. Drop me a few words and a friend request if you fancy being a pal.

Good luck.
  • sunshinelively
    sunshinelively Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    In the club - feel free to add ^me. Have about a weekly unraveling.
  • tallnsxxy
    tallnsxxy Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    * Raises Hand* ME ! ME ! Sad face, I have suffered from depression as well over the years, and that has greatly attributed to me being an emotional binge eater : ( .
  • Elichekhov
    Elichekhov Posts: 1
    Options
    The same goes for me. I am new here at mfp and the primary reason I started here is to get back on track. I used to weigh 170 and then went down to 135. These past few months however, with college and family life and social life,I've gained a bit to 145. I want to get back on track because I just don't feel like myself. I need to control my emotions by finding a positive outlet.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    I am most certainly an emotional binge eater ...sometimes my anxiety/sadness/loneliness gets me and it is uncontrollable just start eating and eating anything that seems tasty in the house

I have been doing okay with it lately but im sure an episode will happen again.. just got to take it one day at a time ugh
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,568 Member
    Options
    Just a thought here: If association with binge eating comes from stress, spouses, realtionships etc., shouldn't those be the issues to address to control the eating? I'm all for support, but one can only hear so many times "You can do this!" before they succumb to urge.
    Attack the problem at the heart of the issue, not the symptom.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Just a thought here: If association with binge eating comes from stress, spouses, realtionships etc., shouldn't those be the issues to address to control the eating? I'm all for support, but one can only hear so many times "You can do this!" before they succumb to urge.

IDEA Fitness member

Yeah, I agree. Deal with the underlying issues, stress management, and healthy coping skills (yoga helps me). Many of us have had to tackle stress problems (I've had PTSD). For me stress causes me to lose my appetite, to a serious degree. It does seem stress effects our eating habits.
  • shabby321
    shabby321 Posts: 2
    Options
    Its a demon I battle everyday, I have been a classic binge eater since my teens. Its a demon I fight everyday.

I'm doing also counting calories and trying my best to cut out "white processed carbs" like bread, sugary cereals, pastries, pasta etc
    keeping under 1400 calories a day.

breaking the emotional attachment to food is so hard.
  • dmariet116
    dmariet116 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I am right there with y'all! I have always turned to food in time of crisis, in times of joy, in times of sadness and out of sheer boredom! Food has been my best friend and worst enemy. I have binged, starved, restricted...all my life. I can't find a happy balance with this friend/foe of mine. I think I have ruined my metabolism but I am trying again! Thats all any of us can do, right!?!

I am currently at 201.2 lbs after starting at 205. My first goal for May is to reach 195. My ultimate goal is 160. I am 5'11 and 160 is my happy place. I wish you all the best and hope we all reach our goals!
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Yeah, I agree. Deal with the underlying issues, stress management, and healthy coping skills (yoga helps me). Many of us have had to tackle stress problems (I've had PTSD). For me stress causes me to lose my appetite, to a serious degree. It does seem stress effects our eating habits.

you are assuming people are not already doing those things
    sometimes it does not matter how much "dealing with the cause" we do

I have been in therapy since I was 14 :) thank you and also take medication to help with my ptsd,anxiety and other various things that contribute to my binge eating. It is an everyday battle for some of us so please take a seat
  • earmuff111
    earmuff111 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    i am a recovering emotional binge eater. feel free to add me.
  • lmmathis86
    lmmathis86 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Right here with all of you!!! I find myself eatting when i'm angry,or stressed or up really late!!! Feel free to add me always here to help anyone along in this journey!
  • stjean5
    stjean5 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    It is good to see that there are others like me out there.. I do the same thing when overwhelmed, upset, angry, etc.

Feel free to add me. Glad to help offer any support that I can. I definitely understand.