One Year In - Partial Success Story

TL:DR MFP is a fantastic tool but like any tool needs to be used correctly and consistently to get the best out of it.

One year in and time for my first post – sorry if it’s a long one!

April 2013 – male, 48 yr, 6’0” – comfortable lifestyle, not as active with each passing year resulting in weight slowly creeping up to 224lbs (102kg) and just creeping into the obese zone, 37” waist, approx 26% body fat, resting pulse 67 bpm. Decided (again!) that I ought to do something to lose a bit of weight and get a bit fitter.

zvdk0.jpg

11th May 2013, 3:42pm – “My Moment”, inspired by a work colleague that this time I was serious and promised myself that I would be fit by the time I was fifty. At the time I didn’t have a clear idea of what I actually meant by being fit but I did know that would involve losing some weight. For the weight loss I did have a “happy with” goal, a “dream” goal and a “miracle” goal. So Fit@50 was born!

10th May 2014 – Still male, still 6’0”! 49 yr, maintaining weight for several months at around 172lbs (78kg) (+/- 2lb range), 31” waist, approx 14% body fat, resting pulse 45 bpm.

1zpp7x2.jpg

Calorie Intake – currently now at 3500–3600 per day. Whilst I try to stick to it daily I do average it out over the week if necessary. Early on I switched to TDEE-20%, calculating via several online calculators, but tracked every thing I ate on MFP. I find it easier and simpler as I tend to have routine patterns. No foods were off limits but I have always eaten reasonably well; some I just had to eat less of a portion and less often. The online TDEE calculators turned out to be quite a bit under for me so I was a bit aggressive with the weight loss at first and the losses were pretty even week by week with no real stalls. By the time I hit maintenance I was able to work out my own TDEE based on my own empirical data. I probably need to start eating a bit more as my 4 week moving weight average is just very slowly dropping again as I’ve recently added another exercise session.

Exercise – Exercise has built up over the year to the stage where I now usually run 20-25 miles pw, cycle 40 miles pw and do some form of bodyweight exercises most days, particularly using the “Greasing the Groove” technique. That has enabled me to do a 10 minute plank, 1 min crow stand, handstand push up and 5 sets of 15 pull ups 5 days a week amongst others.

To me it’s all about keeping promises made to myself. It’s about choices – every time you decide to eat something, every time you decide whether to exercise or not, you make a choice, each and every time. I would like to think that I made the right choice 95% of the time. Even the 5% wrong choices (whether eating too much or not exercising) I chose that outcome.

Best £12 ever spent – digital food scales to weigh everything.

Moment of Clarity – how calorie dense some of my favourite foods are and how relatively little exercise contributes to weight loss.

Best Motivational Tip – For every weekly pound of weight lost I bought an equivalent weight in bags of sugar and put them in a sack. Each week I took a picture of the bags of sugar and carried the photo on my phone. If my motivation was waning or I was thinking about making a bad choice I would look at the photo first – I usually made the right choice! As the sack got heavier it was a frightening realisation to think that I was carrying that around each and every day.

6zlkia.jpg

Second Motivational Tip – set small goals and exceed them, set new goals, rinse and repeat. Repeated success breeds further successes and keeps you motivated towards bigger long term goals.

And if I make it sound as though it was easy, well yes in a way it was once I had made that promise and commitment to myself. There have been times when I could have quit, one in particular. At the end of May 2013 some 3 weeks after I started my wife was diagnosed with terminal stomach cancer with a 12-18 month prognosis. What she has to deal with is a true test of resolve, commitment and determination – getting fitter and losing some weight doesn’t even begin to compare.

So why is it only a partial success story? I can’t believe how far I’ve managed to come in a year (my weight is steady at 10lbs under my “miracle” weight goal) and I have totally changed my lifestyle around. But I’m not fifty until August. I have a demanding 15 mile hill run in mind planned for that day – only when I’ve run that will I consider myself Fit@50. Then, who knows what next.

Replies

• viciouslitany
    viciouslitany Posts: 187 Member
    really inspirational. congratulations on hitting your miracle before you hit 50. :3
  • loriemn
    loriemn Posts: 292 Member
    wow dude!!! you look awesome!!
  • LauriePar
    LauriePar Posts: 239 Member
    Wonderful loss and great determination! PS-- How is your wife doing?
  • beabria
    beabria Posts: 541 Member
    Wow, you're looking great! I like the motivational tip of visualizing your weight loss with the sugar.
  • fire_under_ice
    fire_under_ice Posts: 14 Member
    Wonderful loss and great determination! PS-- How is your wife doing?

Thanks.

Not too good as we found out this week that it has now started to spread to her lungs.
  • cafeduus
    cafeduus Posts: 31 Member
    YOU LOOK AMAZING!!!!! And thank you for the motivation that I needed. I'm 47, and a
    few pounds overweight, and I can only hope to get in as good of shape as you. Again,
    YOU LOOK AMAZING!!!!
  • Rastamann
    Rastamann Posts: 139 Member
    Awesome first post! And totally inspiring! Thanks for sharing that my friend.
  • livingtx
    livingtx Posts: 19 Member
    Great success story! So sorry to hear about your wife. :-( Congratulations on making your miracle goal, and good luck on the 15 mile hill run!
  • fire_under_ice
    fire_under_ice Posts: 14 Member
    Thanks everyone for their kind comments. It's extremely rare for me to ever post in any forum but MFP has played such a huge part in my success that I felt I ought to share it. If it helps anyone else then even better.

I did think of keeping the 50lbs of sugar I collected so that I could carry it around from time to time to remind me of how much I used to weigh. In the end I gave it to a friend who is using it to make some home made wine. So it gets used again!
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Awesome story!!! Congrats!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!