Paleo pancakes ALWAYS a disaster...

Options
Hi Everyone! Can someone help me? My paleo pancakes always turn out a huge gooky mess. They never look like the picture...they stick to the pan...are mushy and won't firm up. Can someone tell me the magic chef trick to get these things to cook right? I use a well seasoned stainless steal pan...and coconut oil for non stick....but dang! They look terrible and fall apart in a goo! Lol! Any ideas?

Bandgoddess

Replies

• FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I'm a terrible cook, so I have no advice, but I wanted to warn you that you may get a lot of snark, so just hang in and wait for the people who will be able to help you with your question. :flowerforyou:
  • lostladyoh
    lostladyoh Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    What are you putting in them? Coconut flour? Almond? How many eggs?
  • skygirll
    skygirll Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried making pancakes yet, but what recipe are you using?
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Are they the banana + 2 egg ones? Yeah, you'll have to sell your soul to get those to work.
  • Sinful_moon
    Sinful_moon Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Depending on the recipe (of course) I've found that cooking them at a lower temperature for longer always makes a better pancake. It gives a firm base for the spatula, so flipping it doesn't result in a sloppy mess.

Some recipes you may need to make very small/silver dollar pancakes for it to cook properly.
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    Yes depending on the recipe. I make them all the time now and they are always perfect. I do 1 banana, 2 eggs and a couple tsp of coconut flour. Sometimes I add chocolate chips or bluberries. I cook them on a griddle pan. You have to cook them for a while on each side. Medium heat and 5-10 minutes on each side. Less time if you use less coconut/almond flour and longer time if you use one of those recipes with more flour.

Edit: pale approved dark chocolate of course
  • gourmanda
    gourmanda Posts: 7
    Options
    I've only ever tried the banana + egg recipe, and that was a COMPLETE AND UTTER DISASTER. Almost worth having the kilojoules in normal pancakes, just to avoid the paleo banana pancake fiasco.
  • SarahxApple
    SarahxApple Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I put a little bit of milk and a tiny bit of baking powder in and mine turn out fine. I didn't use milk the first time, now I prefer them this way.
  • dmsl977
    dmsl977 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Try adding a small amount of baking powder to your flour (whichever type flour you use.) The baking powder will help them firm up. Also, medium temperature for several minutes (7ish) on each side. Look for the bubbles to start to pop. DO NOT TURN TOO QUICKLY. This will cause a gloppy mess. HTH!
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    I use equal parts milk and flour. A tablespoon or so of baking powder and an egg per cup of flour. Add a couple tablespoons of oil and beat it all together. They come out perfect every time. Just like cro-magnon used to make. Great with a cup of coffee.