Is it possible to lose weight with out exercising?

Options
Please let me know if it can work. Thanks

Replies

• MammaEllis
    Options
    I lost my first 50 pounds with NO exercise. At all. Honestly.

830631.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • BelligerentBrin
    Options
    It is estimated that 80% of weight loss can be attributed to dietary control. If you're looking for that extra 20%, exercise is the way forward.
  • mandyreadsbooks88
    Options
    yes. You will lose weight if you eat less calories than you burn. Your body burns most of its daily calories from maintaining a constant temperature, breathing, and doing other "standard" things. Your process might be slower though. You need to find out how many calories a day you burn. and eat less than that.
  • kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Absolutely but I don't suggest it. Even if you can't do cardio type activities I would definitely add some sort of strength training to help improve muscle and skin tone. That might help with that post weight loss skin flab that people are always fighting with. Plus, more muscle means more calories burned 24/7. Good luck!
  • StarryEyedGirl
    Options
    I started off exercising lightly then got into running but once the weather and time change happened I stopped running, funny thing is I lost more weight however I think it was muscle that I lost. But to answer your question I am still losing weight now and not exercising as I did in the begining.
  • Weeble91
    Options
    Hi! From past experience, it does work. If you stay within the calories you are allowed to eat then you'll be ok. however, and this is what got me back in the gym, if you exceed your calories for the day, then you are gaining and won't be losing anymore. i had dental surgery and was eating my calorie allowance / less than every day for about 2 weeks. i lost a hunk of weight (no excercise), however, once i could eat normal again, i saw the weight start to tag back on and eating like i had just had dental surgery was hard ( i knew i could eat nachos and therefore, i did). i had to start hitting the gym to burn off the added calories. if you have major self control (more power to you) and possibly a walk or something light would suffice along with sticking to your calorie allowance. also, i got a set of light hand weights to do some strength exercises with on days when i don't feel like hitting the gym. good luck!!
  • Cytherea
    Cytherea Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is mostly diet, not exercise. But exercise can only help you. I don't feel guilty if I don't get to exercise because I'm too busy, but I make it a point to get in some exercise whenever I can. I don't just want to weigh less- I want to be HEALTHY. And that means exercising.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    As others have said, yes it's possible - weight loss is mostly about diet - calories in vs calories out, however if you don't exercise, you may end up at a good weight but still be unhealthy! You wouldn't want that, would you? Exercise is CRITICAL for a truly healthy body. Even if you can't do much, try to do what you can - even 10 or 20 minutes a day (or a couple days a week) is better than nothing, and the more weight you lose and exercise you do will increase your stamina/abilities. If you have health problems that make exercise difficult, you should be able to work with your doctor (or someone your doctor recommends) to create an exercise plan that fits your needs.

Check out these links:

7 benefits of regular physical activity: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/exercise/HQ01676

The incredible benefits of regular exercise (geared toward teens but applies to everyone): http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/benefits-of-exercise

Top 60 benefits of exercising: http://www.busywomensfitness.com/exercise-benefits.html
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I agree with accountant_boi completely. You can definitely shed the weight by not doing anything physical at all, but that doesn't stop bone loss, high cholesterol, high triglycerides, high blood pressure, and even diabetes sometimes (among tons and tons of other health issues).

Take my mom for example. The first time she lost weight she did it with just dieting. But, even though she was 140 pounds at 5'11" tall, she had diabetes, high blood pressure, cholesterol issues, and was taking meds for all of the above 3 times a day!!! Only when she started exercising did those problems diminish. Even though she is the same size now as she was then, her doctor praises her on her lab tests whenever she gets them done and she's not a slave to hospitals, prescriptions, etc. Plus, because she has lean muscle on her body, she doesn't "ache" anymore after doing simple tasks like laundry or yard work as she used to.

For me, getting into better shape involves so many more things than just dieting. I want my body to be healthy, not just skinny. Skinny people can have even more medical issues than overweight people if the overweight person is an exerciser and the skinny one is not. I don't want that. I want to be in good fitness, and weight loss and dieting is only a portion of the pie. I want the whole pie. :flowerforyou:
  • kievfrisco
    kievfrisco Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thank you All for a good advice and help!:flowerforyou:
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Yes you can lose weight without exercising. Part of that weight will be lean muscle tissue. Your body needs a certain amount of nutrients to function, and when you reduce the amount of food you eat your body will canabalize its unused lean tissue to get those nutrients. When you lose your lean tissue, your metabolism slows...then the weight loss slows. You can get to your goal BMI and still have high body fat and be considered obese. Your body will have that flabby look, and your skin will take longer to "spring back" (as much as it will anyway).

If you incorporate some light to moderate exercise into your daily routine you can help prevent the lean tissue loss. You don't have to spend hours in the gym, just go for a brisk walk and do some stretching. When you exercise your muscles and tissues get "flush" and the blood exchange in the tissues promotes healing and elasticity. The elasticity will will give your muscles that sleek toned look and your skin will tighten up much quicker.