Cardio Vs. Lifting

Options

Replies

• se015
    se015 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above comment! Do NOT increase your caloric intake despite if you choose to lift more, as he said your goal is NOT to get big and muscular your goal is to be fit and toned. Weights are good because they help develope your abdominal muscles, although running does too. Lifting will tell your body to start making more muscle and it will burn off fat to use as fuel to make that muscle. This is why crossfit has become such a big hype. You can do cardio and strength training at the same time. For example kalisthenics like pushups, pull ups, burpees etc...these are great exercises that cover all aspects of fitness. Keep me posted I'd like to know what you end up changing in your routine!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone! I think I'll definently continue doing both for the time being, but eventually increase my weight training and lower the cardio as the pound come off. Thanks :love:

Research HIIT vs slow steady cardio.

I agree with this...HIIT does great things vs slow and/or steady state cardio.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday everyone! So, I have a question that I've been getting mixed information on for quite a while now. I have been slowly losing weight for a while now. A little too slow (at most 5 pounds a month) and I would like to be closer to 2 pounds a week. I talked to a trainer at my gym yesterday and he said I should be lifting more rather than doing cardio. Right now, I do cardio 4-5 times a week and weight training about 3 times a week. He said I should even really be concerned with cardio as much, but rather lifting and building up muscle. I did some research on lifting and if I went that route, I should be eating a lot more than my 1500 calories I do today. Anyone have any advice with this? What is the best method for the fastest results with weight/fat loss without sacrificing muscle loss? Any advice you have would be greatly appreciated! :flowerforyou:

If your trainer informed you that you would gain muscle mass while at a caloric deficit sufficient to lose 2 pounds a week he misinformed you.

If you want to gain muscle you should eat more that is true... a lot more. To gain muscle you'd want to be at caloric surplus or at least maintenance.

If your goal is primarily to lose fat then you should include weight training in your routine along with sufficient protein intake, but for muscle maintenance not gain. If you go too aggressive with your weight loss you may end up losing some muscle anyways.
  • ravenmiss
    ravenmiss Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone! I think I'll definently continue doing both for the time being, but eventually increase my weight training and lower the cardio as the pound come off. Thanks :love:

Would the HIIT be alongside the heavy lifting 3x a week?
  • FitnessLover001
    FitnessLover001 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I do usually 60 min of cardio a day, as well as a 30 min weight session daily. I LOVE cardio just because I love getting my heart rate up and seeing my body pour in sweat (not saying lifting weights doesn't do that to you). I just enjoy cardio, but some days I do 10 min intervals of everything. I do 10 min of cardio as hard as I can, then a 10 min lift session, then back to cardio for 10 min, and then back to weights, and so on and so on. It works for me! I think you need both as well as a calorie deficit, but as long as you enjoy what you actually like to do, you'll be fine and see results!
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

HIIT is HIgh intensity interval training. Yes I think heavy lifting can be consider HIIT but HIIT is more of getting your heart rate really high rest heart rate really high rest cycle that.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I do cardio 6 days a week and heavy lifting 5 days a week and 1 rest day.

Remember slow and steady is the way to go, to fast = muscle loss!!
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

How so to fast burns muscle. Explain this to me?
  • ravenmiss
    Options

HIIT is HIgh intensity interval training. Yes I think heavy lifting can be consider HIIT but HIIT is more of getting your heart rate really high rest heart rate really high rest cycle that.

I know what HIIT is, I was asking Stef (hence quoiting her) if she was suggesting it alongside 3x a week heavy lifting. But thank you anyway :smile:
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday everyone! So, I have a question that I've been getting mixed information on for quite a while now. I have been slowly losing weight for a while now. A little too slow (at most 5 pounds a month) and I would like to be closer to 2 pounds a week. I talked to a trainer at my gym yesterday and he said I should be lifting more rather than doing cardio. Right now, I do cardio 4-5 times a week and weight training about 3 times a week. He said I should even really be concerned with cardio as much, but rather lifting and building up muscle. I did some research on lifting and if I went that route, I should be eating a lot more than my 1500 calories I do today. Anyone have any advice with this? What is the best method for the fastest results with weight/fat loss without sacrificing muscle loss? Any advice you have would be greatly appreciated! :flowerforyou:

The "trainer" is parroting cliches. Your program is fine--personally I think 2 days per week of lifting is plenty, but it depends what exercises you are doing. You should have a mix of endurance cardio, tempo training, and interval training in your cardio, so if you are doing all endurance training, that would be a helpful change. However, given your current volume of exercise, you are likely doing plenty. To increase weight loss, you can revisit your diet, but, to be honest, a steady 5 lb per month might be optimal for you.
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Poster said, "Your rate of loss is actually good. Lifting with cardio? Nothing but win."

Agreed!
  • vvancol_rose
    vvancol_rose Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I've posted about this twice in hopes of getting help too!! I would love to know what the proper balance is between the 2 I've heard mixed reviews. can anyone suggest a could regimen for someone thats somewhat a beginner?
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options

Go to www.bodyrecomposition,com and do a search for "steady state vs interval training". Follow the links to read all the parts.
  • ravenmiss
    Options

Go to www.bodyrecomposition,com and do a search for "steady state vs interval training". Follow the links to read all the parts.

Ah thanks, I'll read up on it all when I have some spare time. Hopefully it will get me this seemingly elusive answer...
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options

Yes, if you don't feel overtrained. HIIT sessions are short and sweet -- they don't take up much time if you're doing them correctly. Hill sprints are one of the best HIITs out there and you can get everything done in 20 mins. Just don't overdo it. For example, with hill sprints, start out with 3 sets of 8 sec sprints -- literally, that's it. Give your full 100% for those 8 secs and then take time to recover until you're breathing normally again, then go with your next rep. Then increase your sets 1 per week until you're doing 8 sets of 8 second sprints. You'll be surprised about how a little bit of time can go a long ways -- sprinters are jacked for a reason.

I personally lift heavy twice a week (but they're full body work-outs) and do 2 sets of hill sprints a week. I also do a lot of walking/hiking -- usually 15-25 miles/week. Every 6-8 weeks or so, I'll take a rest week as I tend to feel like I'm starting to overtrain (get strangely fatigued and just feel run down) where I just walk/hike for the week. Some don't feel a need for a rest week, but that's what works best for me.
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options

How so to fast burns muscle. Explain this to me?

1 lb of body fat releases 3500 calories whereas 1 lb of muscle releases only 800-1500 calories. So, for a 5000 calorie deficit, if lost only fat, you'd only lose 1.42 lbs. But, if it were all muscle, you'd lose a lot more weight, something like 3.3-6 lbs (luckily, no one loses 100% muscle). So, often if someone is dropping a lot of weight quickly, it's because they're burning more muscle than fat -- which looks good on the scale but bad on the body (how people can be skinny fat).

Two things that have shown to reduce the loss of muscle in a caloric deficit (and for some, even maintain their LBM) are eating sufficient protein (numbers differ, but I prefer 0.7 g per lb body weight) and lifting heavy. Lyle has a good article on it -- but I don't know it off the top of my head.
  • momxs2
    momxs2 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    A couple of things to consider:
    1) Muscle weighs more than fat. While I do highly recommend weight lifting, keep in mind that while you'll be losing fat you will also be gaining muscle. In this instance your BMI will be deceitful, but your clothes will tell the truth. Your weight may not shift very much when you first start to put on muscle, but your clothes will definitely fit better AND you will feel better.
    2) Adding additional muscle on your frame will actually assist your metabolism as you will be burning more calories at idle times (such as sleeping) just to sustain this additional muscle. Lifting might not produce results as fast as you might like, but in the long run it will definitely help you reach your goal.
    3) Sleep! If you start lifting more you will definitely need to be sure you're getting enough sleep. Gaining muscle is a result of literally tearing muscle, and it rebuilds primarily while you're sleeping.
    4) Eat more protein. You already know you'll need to consume a few more calories if you'll be lifting more, so please be sure to try to make a good portion of these new calories come from protein-rich foods such as fish or chicken.

I hope this helps. I always recommend mixing in some weight lifting to supplement your cardio routines and reach your ideal health.

^^this^^
  • neoi78
    neoi78 Posts: 1
    Options
    Weight training burns more calories then doing cardio. I would weight train 5 days a week and walk 3-7 days a week and see how you progress. And by weight train, REALLY push yourself, keep it to 45mins.