Day or Night

Options
Does it really matter when you workout? My times seem to vary. For instances today I completed my workout about an hour ago and tomorrow I will attempt to work earlier due to a mothers day commitment. Does varying times mean anything does it affect results?

Replies

• PixieQueen25
    PixieQueen25 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Not sure who all will respond. but I know they made "Anytime Fitness" for a reason. As long as you keep a good caloric count daily, it should not matter when you work out. I am a keen and prime example.

You need to work out when it's conveniant for you. For example, I work nights 7pm to 7 am For 7 days. During those days it's really hard to work out every day because my body gets tired. But if I sleep atleast 6 hours I get up I work out around 530 I usually have a lot more energy at work. Then on my 7 off days... I work out well honestly whenever I feel like it. I like to do it around 3 pm or later but sometimes that can be too hot. Since I do not have to work during those days I sometimes wait until like 7pm or later. This is because I am used to sleeping all day and staying up all night. HOWEVER.... Sometimes... on my off days I will get up around 8 a.m. and work out. So I can enjoy my entire day outside gardening or with my mom.

So it really should not matter. Just know your body.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    No, it doesn't matter. Your muscles cannot tell time! As long as you are not working out so close to bedtime that is interferes with your sleep schedule, there is no reason not to work out whenever you feel like it.
  • Fishshtick
    Fishshtick Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Actually it does matter a bit. Physiologically most people perform a bit better and thus make more gains in the afternoon. Indeed, if you are a bit older in particular, you have a slightly higher risk of injury or even heart attack working out in the morning than later in the day. On the flip side, working out very late in the day can interfere with sleep cycle. Despite these modest time of day effects, working out at any time is better for your health in general than not working out.
  • sugarlemonpie
    sugarlemonpie Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Hey, a workout is a workout no matter when it happens! I think the only reason it would be good to pick a consistent time is to keep a strong routine going to help the habit stick, but it may not be necessary for you. I do think the morning is best because it jumpstarts your system and wakes you up, helping your body digest your breakfast afterward. I know if I work out late I can't sleep well, and it makes it hard because whatever food I ate upsets my stomach.

Hope that helps!
  • chani8
    chani8 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    Does it really matter when you workout?

Does what really matter?

"Nothing really matters at all." - Queen

Oh, I just had to. Sorry, OP. ;)

To answer your question, no, it doesn't matter. Unless you have trouble falling asleep at night from an evening workout, or are wasted from a morning workout, you can workout whenever you want.